• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inexpensive/Beginner Reloading Equipment??????

JayAlon

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
I am looking to start reloading for my .270 Winchester and .35 Whelen.

I am wanting to get a VERY inexpensive setup to begin with.

What should I buy? I don't mind the inconvenience of doing things by hand if needed.

Re: Inexpensive/Beginner Reloading Equipment??????

Yeah, I read that. It was a very good write up.

I am just looking for the cheapest way to get started.

I see some hand loading kits for only $20.00 but I am not sure what else I would need with them.

Re: Inexpensive/Beginner Reloading Equipment?

A flat table top and a hammer.

I joke about it. But I used to know an old man that loaded with one of those and could out shoot a lot of the people here. He used a fired pistol case as a powder dipper.

If that's all you got I guess it'll work. Just don't expect to load a thousand rounds an hour. Or even a hundred.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A flat table top and a hammer.

I joke about it. But I used to know an old man that loaded with one of those and could out shoot a lot of the people here. He used a fired pistol case as a powder dipper.

If that's all you got I guess it'll work. Just don't expect to load a thousand rounds an hour. Or even a hundred.

Good luck. </div></div>

That guy is awesome!!!

Thanks for the response.

In all seriousness, get a copy of the latest Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. At any speed or die setup, powder and primers are still dangerous if not handled properly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JayAlon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For example,
I would like to get this handloader.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=749577
What else would I need?
I don't mind a little hard work. </div></div>
You're on the right track. The Lee Loader is absolutely fine for starting out. That's exactly how I started loading .270 and .38/.357 about 30 years ago. The .270 ammo that I loaded is absolutely as accurate as any that I load with a bigger press. Here's what I suggest you add to the Lee Loader because I don't like doing everything their way:
1. Get at least one good reloading manual.
2. Get a scale. The powder measure that's included will severely limit your powder choices.
3. Get a hand priming tool. I don't like priming with the Lee Loader.
4. Get some misc. tools like a case mouth chamfer tool, a loading block to hold brass, some case lube, and a primer pocket cleaning tool.
5. Eventually, you might want a case trimmer.

Those were fun times, being young and dirt poor. I used to sit in front of the TV at night and drive my wife crazy pounding cases into a Lee Loader with a plastic mallet.

One final note: The Lee Loader is a "neck size only" die. It does not resize the case body. At some point, you may find that your reloaded ammo is hard to chamber. You'll have to put that brass away until it can be full length resized.

PM me your address. I'll send you my Lee loader for the 270. Otherwise I agree with what was said above. Start small and piece it together.

Have you been laid off? If not, save your money and buy something usable.

Perhaps <span style="font-style: italic">flyboy</span>'s gift will convince you to.

Buy what YOU need, not what any of the rest of us are using! And take advantage of the kind offer for the freebie. A LOT of us started with the Lee Loader and found it to be all we needed for a long time. And, even if you do move up later, you won't have much of a money loss for getting the basic little kit at first. ONLY if a user develops a taste for loading and shooting in larger volumes will he ever need anything more; not even a manual. All of the loading (powder) data you'll actually need is included in the kit.

Since the Loader only neck sizes the cases it's not likely you will need a case trimmer either. My .30-06 necks used to split long before the cases grew too long.

Building a brass collection because the tool won't size the shoulders isn't economic.

And the last time you use one was when. Thats what I thought. I've got both 270 and 7mmRM and have loaded for both 8 times on the same brass and never needed to set the shoulders back.

Now is it the very best thing money can buy, No, but for someone thats not sure if they're really that interested in getting fully invested in reloading, its a great start.

I've never used one nor even considered using one because the tool is incapable of achieving the desired results. I actually own a collection of these tools, but have chosen not to use them.

There are better ways to learn than by copying others' mistakes. It's no way to sample reloading since the process is totally different. I could see someone deciding against venturing further. I can't address the feasibility, but he would be much better off trying out someone else's equipment than attempting this approach.

I won't speculate on how you are able get eight loads out of bottlenecked brass without FL sizing.