• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

inexpensive/cheap tripod setup

rjacobs

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 10, 2013
    Got invited to go hog and coyote hunting later in May...

Been perusing tripod setups and the costs are eye watering. I might only use this thing once or twice a year if I am lucky so spending 700-1000+ bucks FOR ME is out.

I THINK I can convince myself to buy the Innorel RT90C tripod as I can use it for my camera occasionally. Although honestly on the property we are going to I dont think I will be hauling shit all over so I could likely get by with an aluminum leg tripod for half the cost or less of the carbon.

I dont think I can convince myself to buy a 350+ dollar adapter to mount a gun to it.

I have 3 or 4 guns I would likely use on it and only 1 has a pic rail on the forend(LMT MWS). 2 have no pic rail on the bottom and no way to mount them(KAC URX3, Centurion CMR) and one has keymod on the bottom(SLR Solo Lite), so I COULD get a small section of pic rail for keymod there.

With that in mind I am LOOKING at saddle type setups. I dont think I care to have clamping ability(seems to add TREMENDOUS cost). I saw some linked from here(and now I cant find it) that were basic saddle setups for like 60 bucks.

Anybody have suggestions for stuff that wont break the bank? I also dont need bomb proof as if I get to use this setup once per year I will be lucky.

I know I am asking this on a forum where everybody and their brother runs a 1500 dollar tripod setup...

I upgraded to an Innorel RT90C this winter and a knockoff head. But in reality, 95% of the shooting I've done off of it thus far has been with a sandbag sitting on top of it, shooting various rifles and shotguns (patterning turkey loads/chokes) , guns that I really didn't buy it for. (the sandbag is actually a leather rear bag that I've been using as a front bag for the last 45 years)

Honestly I bought the tripod head less for shooting and more for the countless hours of sitting waiting. I grew tired of being extra careful to not knock the rifle off the sandbag. (and of the many many times I've knocked it off)

Sirui is a good one, made in China, but with a good way.
    6 year warranty.
    I have 2 models, one of them is a carbonfiber, 80lbs weight capacity.

Have you looked at the Primos trigger tripods?

No but I have now. I think its not quite what I am interested in although the price is right.

Sirui is a good one, made in China, but with a good way.
    6 year warranty.
    I have 2 models, one of them is a carbonfiber, 80lbs weight capacity.

Will check them out.

Are you sure you even need a tripod in the first place? I always end up leaving mine in the car, it’s just more shit to carry that I don’t ever actually use after my first time trying it.

I wont say yes to this because I havent been on the property before, but my buddy who's deer lease it is says there are 2 blinds and 2 tree stands on the property... There are TONS of other places to hunt from with nothing to setup on. So unless I want to lay there prone, I dont think I want to be trying to stand for who knows how long and try to hoist my gun up on a seconds notice. I think its probably more a "want" than a "need" really. More a convenience thing I guess.

So so far I am looking at the RT90C tripod, the N52 ball mount, a sunfoto SM76 rifle clamp, and a piece of ARCA rail that will go on my rifle with keymod(the main gun I plan to use, 6.5c AR). That setup is 600... thats honestly more than I want to spend by about 200 bucks, but I think it fits all of my perceived wants/needs.

Reactions: camocorvette
    I have a two vets ruck and I shot my elk last year at 280 yards and a whitetail at 400 off the top of it. I threw my game changer on it for the whitetail and just shot off my bog bino holder for the elk. Certainly plenty stable if not shooting from standing

I only use a tripod in two spots, neither particularly far a walk. Fold up shooting sticks have become a permanent addition to my day back come gun season however.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
    You might check out the bogpod deathgrip. I've not personally shot off of a set of them but have looked at them and have heard decent reviews on them from some friends that have them. A shooting buddy has a set and they feel nearly as stable as my Silk/pig saddle combo. If I had it to do over again I would ditch the pig saddle and go direct mount with an ARCA rail to ballhead.

What about this RT85C that comes with the N44?

Its only $259 vs. the RT90C plus N52 at $464?

My 6.5c gas gun I guess weighs I guess ~10lbs... My LMT MWS is also supposed to weight that. Everything else is 5.56 guns so much lighter.

call Two Vets and talk to Dan about The Ruck and No Name Jr

and get one of these if you really think you want a ballhead (but honestly a gamechanger is way easier for shooting off of if it's a moving target)

I ordered an RT85C that came with the N44 ball head for 259 or whatever it was. And an ARCA rail piece for keymod, and the locking saddle.

Ill see if it works, otherwise ill return it to Amazon and try something else.

Ill report back with my findings on Friday when I get everything.

No but I have now. I think its not quite what I am interested in although the price is right.

Will check them out.

I wont say yes to this because I havent been on the property before, but my buddy who's deer lease it is says there are 2 blinds and 2 tree stands on the property... There are TONS of other places to hunt from with nothing to setup on. So unless I want to lay there prone, I dont think I want to be trying to stand for who knows how long and try to hoist my gun up on a seconds notice. I think its probably more a "want" than a "need" really. More a convenience thing I guess.

So so far I am looking at the RT90C tripod, the N52 ball mount, a sunfoto SM76 rifle clamp, and a piece of ARCA rail that will go on my rifle with keymod(the main gun I plan to use, 6.5c AR). That setup is 600... thats honestly more than I want to spend by about 200 bucks, but I think it fits all of my perceived wants/needs.

Rjacobs,
    Keep us posted, I am in the same boat...
    Buddy found me a monfrotto 3021 in a pawn shop, needing to outfit it from there.
    Thanks!

RT85C with the N44 ball head so far looks like a good buy FOR ME.

My 6.5C AR on an ARCA plate sits perfectly on it and doesnt move. I put a few different guns in the saddle clamp and they also were rock solid.

I have NOT shot anything off of the tripod yet so I cant comment on that.

Is the RT90C with some other, larger ball head like the N52 better? Maybe, but I think for my use on what I plan to shoot off of this, its PLENTY of tripod.

The RT90c is awesome. But so is the 80, and it would save you a hundred bucks. I use my 90c for filming and for shooting. Its overkill for both. If i wanted to save weight, i would get the 80.

Got invited to go hog and coyote hunting later in May...

Been perusing tripod setups and the costs are eye watering. I might only use this thing once or twice a year if I am lucky so spending 700-1000+ bucks FOR ME is out.

I THINK I can convince myself to buy the Innorel RT90C tripod as I can use it for my camera occasionally. Although honestly on the property we are going to I dont think I will be hauling shit all over so I could likely get by with an aluminum leg tripod for half the cost or less of the carbon.

I dont think I can convince myself to buy a 350+ dollar adapter to mount a gun to it.

I have 3 or 4 guns I would likely use on it and only 1 has a pic rail on the forend(LMT MWS). 2 have no pic rail on the bottom and no way to mount them(KAC URX3, Centurion CMR) and one has keymod on the bottom(SLR Solo Lite), so I COULD get a small section of pic rail for keymod there.

With that in mind I am LOOKING at saddle type setups. I dont think I care to have clamping ability(seems to add TREMENDOUS cost). I saw some linked from here(and now I cant find it) that were basic saddle setups for like 60 bucks.

Anybody have suggestions for stuff that wont break the bank? I also dont need bomb proof as if I get to use this setup once per year I will be lucky.

I know I am asking this on a forum where everybody and their brother runs a 1500 dollar tripod setup...

I use the Innorel ST344C with their 52mm ball head. It is lighter than the 90 but holds nearly as much weight. It is much tripod for the $. The ball head seems to work fine too.

https://www.amazon.com/Profile-INNOREL-Panoramic-Camcorder-Telescope,Max/dp/B07XHGPKJ1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1WYLZCQ6GKGH3&keywords=innorel+52mm+ball+head&qid=1651427701&sprefix=Innorel+52mm%2Caps%2C254&sr=8-3

John

This SLIK tripod is $99 on amazon, and it works pretty sweet.

I attached this head, also only $117 and works pretty good.

I usually run an ARCA rail setup on the ORYX chassis but this is a good tripod for cheap that you can add a saddle on if needed.

Other than zeroing I’ve now used tripod 100% of the time in the field for years. I eventually graduated to a full RRS setup. Tried bog pod, shadow tech (hog saddle), leofoto and now RRS. Leofoto is the best bang for buck IMO. You’ll also want to direct arca clamp. Less stuff to carry and more stable.

Reactions: pineoak