• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

inexpensive comms (baofeng)

Back Country Access BCA Link for FRS/GMRS radios (buy from a US company). These have a weather proof handset with a channel preset dial, volume control / power switch and socket for a headset and a main radio unit you can stash in the top of your pack. v1 units seem to be a little more rugged than v2 (camo units 35% off at backcountry.com right now). Have used these extensively in the mountains here in the US and the Andes and never missed a beat. Commended. To echo what others have said: perform radio checks with the rest of your party before separating and (even with non-licensed radios) learn and practice proper communication protocol. For S-really-HTF scenarios, radio legalities will be the least of your worries - use a marine VHF :)

Last edited:
Kinda like that.
During an emergency, riot or civil war the candyman (fcc) will not be the ones shooting at you.

1600851221273.png

or 49.95 for
Razor Walkie Talkie Attachment
it works i would not call it the greatest product on earth but they work pretty well especially for the money . Voice Activated Transmit (VOX), allows for hands-free communication up to 3 miles. Walkie Talkie Attachment has 22 channels and 99 sub channels for your family and friends to join! for 50.00 that's pretty dam good . not so great if your kid is belching in your ear constantly or eating with his mouth open I assumed he was eating the microphone by the sounds of it . a push to talk version would be nice .

:ROFLMAO:
i only have them because people were saying the government won't let you buy them after october (of last year).

Same here! I didn't know dick about HAM stuff, but when I saw that it was like...

Some news article or Hide thread: "......blah, blah, government to ban UV-5r, blah, blah...."
Me: Add to Cart :cool:

Now a year later I am studying for my technician exam. I've been watching YT videos on this stuff too and it's making a lot more sense. Downloaded CHIRP and ordered the cable. My next door neighbor is a HAM and he's been helping me too. It's a rabbit hole indeed but very interesting stuff.

I'll be adding some of the better radios soon, probably after I get my license.

Reactions: theLBC
I started looking into comms a few years ago because a friend and I who did alot of shooting together wanted to have a method to communicate with each other while on the range and doing some coyote hunting.

Upon delving into it we realized its a bit more complicated than two walkie talkies, we wanted electronic headsets so we could cover hearing protection and comms together. I immediately looked at what does/did the military use at the time, peltor comtacs primarily. So I needed a radio that peltor made a PTT (push to talk) cable for. My friend on the other hand wanted to save some money by not buying the headsets and the ptt cables from peltor, so he convinced himself nacre quietpro, an in-ear type PTT unit that transmits your voice, was a better option. He also decided on ht1000 Motorola radios, the pain in the ass ones sprocket was talking about above. So we both ended up with HT1000's and the quietpro, which I hated, in-ear buds are uncomfortable for me and kinda nasty. So I bought a set of peltors and the ptt for the ht1000 and I've been happy since.

However, my friend is now gearing up to move to Tennessee, so now I have nobody to commo with unless I hook up with you guys. I'm not against going with whatever you guys want to use, my one stipulation is I'd like to keep my headsets.

A few questions for you sprocket if you know:

1) if I have an ht1000, and you a 750 or 1250, if we're on the same freq we can obviously still communicate correct?

2) do you know if the ptt for a 1000 is the same as a 750 or 1250? I think the 750 is different, the 1000/1250 may be the same.
If I understand question 2 correctly, I’m pretty sure the PTT adapters are different on the HT1000 and the 1250. I have an old MT2000 that was an updated HT1000 and it is different than my old 1250 (which is different than our current APX4000 radios.) I have drawer full of different adapters trying to keep my CommPort ear mic going. I just wear it under my Sordins or without.

Question 1 should yes unless you have PL codes the older radios can’t be programmed for or they are narrowband vhf radios. (I assume you are using vhf)

Reactions: oldfart80
I have a few mono band UFH radios as below. Without a mag mount antenna (very much encouraged) we'd get about 2 miles car to car with them. I got about 8 of these for under $60 from a guy off Craigslist. A big reason these radios are probably under FCC Scrutiny is they also do FRS frequencies with 10X the legal power and a detachable antenna (likewise illegal.)

Where I see utility in these is that if I have to equip a few people I can do so for almost nothing; I've litterally given away a few of these in the past and taken a few others apart to mess around with. I have a half dozen or so I keep on chargers in my basement in case they're needed. Just grab a few and go.

Antenna upgrades for something like this is always a good bet. For every 3DB of gain you have with an antenna improvement doubles the effective power of the radio. A great antenna can somewhat make up for a crappy radio.

Also, BUY THE CABLE. Programming the ones with a keypad sucks. Virtually all radios suck to program via keypad. I don't care if it's one of these or a Kenwood costing 10X as much. Chirp software is good and free so there's little reason not to. The only exception may be if you're trying to know how to program the radio in a field expedient way.

https://www.amazon.com/BF-888S-2pcs...ocphy=1016584&hvtargid=pla-379710510441&psc=1

Ugh... radio on a chip... PoFung... whatever...

I have a UV5R and have no problem listening to FMRS, NOAA, and MURS and VHF repeaters.

I have a degree in Civilian comms, effectively.

So - I’ll start here.

Motorola XTS 5000 + have someone program it on the HAM 2m band. Or get Front Panel Programming. It’s the best radio for this ever (as a radio that was once $5000 should be).

The R model is waterproof/submersible.

Military grade PTTS are available.

Second option is to use ICOM or Yaesu toughened models. They are definitely second best.

And finally have 5 Baofengs you can hand out because that shit is useful.

Get car antennas for car shit.

If you run motorola’s, you can get an XTL5000 and have good car performance.

Reactions: RGStory
If you want to get really good information on radio communications, do a search on ARRL clubs near you. Find out when the next meeting is, usually monthly, and make plans to go. These guys offer tests for free and can teach you everything you ever wanted to know.

If you want to get really good information on radio communications, do a search on ARRL clubs near you. Find out when the next meeting is, usually monthly, and make plans to go. These guys offer tests for free and can teach you everything you ever wanted to know.

The actual test is $14. That said, there's a lot of study to do to pass the ham test but it's not particularly hard. Get an app to study and do it. I jumped from Tech to Extra in one shot that way. Just gotta spend the time. The record for someone getting licensed belongs to a 6YO girl, may be even younger now.

The actual test is $14. That said, there's a lot of study to do to pass the ham test but it's not particularly hard. Get an app to study and do it. I jumped from Tech to Extra in one shot that way. Just gotta spend the time. The record for someone getting licensed belongs to a 6YO girl, may be even younger now.
$15 if you go virtual. Download the app HAM Test Prep: Technician. Buy Gordon West's book and you can be ready for the test in about 3 days of solid review.

Just realize that this is studying to a test. There is a lot to learn to actually use your license, but this gets you legal and on your way. A mentor will get you up to speed on etiquette and there are plenty of gray beards that are dying to help. Nicest bunch of dudes you'll meet.

Reactions: Ravenworks
$15 if you go virtual. Download the app HAM Test Prep: Technician. Buy Gordon West's book and you can be ready for the test in about 3 days of solid review.

Just realize that this is studying to a test. There is a lot to learn to actually use your license, but this gets you legal and on your way. A mentor will get you up to speed on etiquette and there are plenty of gray beards that are dying to help. Nicest bunch of dudes you'll meet.

Yes, just like learning to shoot it's a first step on a long road. There's an insane amount of stuff to doing radio one could spend a life time on not to mention an almost unlimited number of facets as well (and an unlimited spend to go with it.)

I have a degree in Civilian comms, effectively.

So - I’ll start here.

Motorola XTS 5000 + have someone program it on the HAM 2m band. Or get Front Panel Programming. It’s the best radio for this ever (as a radio that was once $5000 should be).

The R model is waterproof/submersible.

Military grade PTTS are available.

Second option is to use ICOM or Yaesu toughened models. They are definitely second best.

And finally have 5 Baofengs you can hand out because that shit is useful.

Get car antennas for car shit.

If you run motorola’s, you can get an XTL5000 and have good car performance.

@The King So which model Bofengs to get for general back up use. I do have the 5000r, but extras. Seems to be a plethora of bofengs. ?

@The King So which model Bofengs to get for general back up use. I do have the 5000r, but extras. Seems to be a plethora of bofengs. ?

IMHO just get the basic UV5rs or UV82. I am partial to the UV82. Theyre honestly the same thing just a little different housing.

The tri band one is cool.

I would avoid the high power ones. They cost significantly more and realistically you probably won't see a performance benefit.

Still studying for license.
Some guys on the critter ranch have baofeng radios.

I was thinking of upgrading to this since bacward compatible.

BTECH DMR-6X2 (DMR and Analog) 7-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio

Still studying for license.
Some guys on the critter ranch have baofeng radios.

I was thinking of upgrading to this since bacward compatible.

BTECH DMR-6X2 (DMR and Analog) 7-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio

It's basically a ripped off Anytone 878 (or is the Anytone a ripped off BF???) which has glowing reviews. If you need digital, I think you would be pleased based on what I have heard. If you like the higher TX power and don't need digital, consider the BF-F8HP. "8" watts max TX power and it's $65. I have two that I have been pleased with.

Reactions: Snuby642
Well this will be my first ham radio.
All the digital functions open up a lot of doors.

I have used cb in the old days and the cheap radios for scout trips.

In the old days we had a beam antena and a whip in the center a glowing linier amp that was only turned on late at nite. From Kansas we hit Cuba and all Conus not sure if we got Alaska or not. I rode around the neighborhood to check if all lights were out.

I digress. I should just get some cheaper bf and wait for my quality expectations to be realized.

The yaesu dmr had good features and specks but was $400 , that's cutting into ammo funds. Lol

Reactions: ScottDWallace
I disagree on part of the "radios are like guns" argument, and disagree such that baofeng has a place - whereas Hi-Point and Savage almost never do. The UV-5Rs and UV-9Rs are cheap and if you lose it or break it, you won't be heartbroken. I've broken a Motorola or 2 and that really hurts. True, Motorola and Kenwood are much better, but the BFs work almost all the time and are throw-away when they don't
None of this applies in war-fighting scenarios or truly apocalypse stuff, but everything short of that, a UV-XX will probably get the job done.

Finally, all Baofeng accessories suck a hairy asshole, so get a good radio and good accessories that work well together, then get the BF that takes those same accessories.
I neither own nor want a gun that if it jams I can just toss it in the trash, I do want radios that do that. But I also want radios that will withstand a nuclear holocaust and still function.

I would also make a point that if you guys are looking for something where you don't have to take a test GMRS may be a better option. You can get a family license and there's no test for it. Some even have repeaters for it. The frequencies are much more restrictive however. These inexpensive radios will also work over those frequencies as well if they're UHF.

I would also make a point that if you guys are looking for something where you don't have to take a test GMRS may be a better option. You can get a family license and there's no test for it. Some even have repeaters for it. The frequencies are much more restrictive however. These inexpensive radios will also work over those frequencies as well if they're UHF.
So I have the gmrs license (got it for business use) the fcc did assign me a callsign and a block of uhf frequencies for our business.

My question is am I allowed to hop on ham frequencies (2m and 70cm) and repeaters and talk since I have a callsign? Or am I restricted to the gmrs frequencies?

So I have the gmrs license (got it for business use) the fcc did assign me a callsign and a block of uhf frequencies for our business.

My question is am I allowed to hop on ham frequencies (2m and 70cm) and repeaters and talk since I have a callsign? Or am I restricted to the gmrs frequencies?

You are not allowed on frequencies you are not licensed for. e.g. you only have GMRS frequencies.

Have several BFF8HP radio's good for my simple needs, then some.

So I have the gmrs license (got it for business use) the fcc did assign me a callsign and a block of uhf frequenciesfor our business.

Are you sure you don't have a business band license? One GMRS license is good for your entire family, but for business use each non-family user would need to be licensed to operate legally. Your saying the FCC assigned you a "block of uhf frequencies" is what make me think you may actually have a business band license. I don't believe the FCC would knowingly issue a GMRS license for business use (that is unless you secured your license prior to 1987, in which case... nevermind... ;) )

Last edited:
Are you sure you don't have a business band license? One GMRS license is good for your entire family, but for business use each non-family user would need to be licensed to operate legally. Your saying the FCC assigned you a "block of uhf frequencies" is what make me think you may actually have a business band license. I don't believe the FCC would knowingly issue a GMRS license for business use (that is unless you secured your license prior to 1987, in which case... nevermind... ;) )
Shoot I'm honestly not sure, I'm going to assume it's a business license as we have hundreds of employees use this radio system on a daily basis.
I'm pretty damn green/ignorant to this ham stuff. Its a new rabbit hole for me but definitely has piqued my interest.

Would you be able to see which license I have if I provided my callsign or FRN# ?

Shoot I'm honestly not sure, I'm going to assume it's a business license as we have hundreds of employees use this radio system on a daily basis.
I'm pretty damn green/ignorant to this ham stuff. Its a new rabbit hole for me but definitely has piqued my interest.

Would you be able to see which license I have if I provided my callsign or FRN# ?
Go here.

You can look it up yourself. If you do that you can keep your name and address private.

It tells you what radio service. It says I am HA.

Last edited:
Go here.

You can look it up yourself. If you do that you can keep your name and address private.

It tells you what radio service. It says I am HA.
Mine says IG under radio service industrial/business

So I definitely need to take the exam to get my amateur/ ham license.
Just a quick search of my local clubs ,they say testing suspended cuz of covid ,but I'm sure there is some sort of online resource to take the test ? For technician?

Mine says IG under radio service industrial/business

So I definitely need to take the exam to get my amateur/ ham license.
Just a quick search of my local clubs ,they say testing suspended cuz of covid ,but I'm sure there is some sort of online resource to take the test ? For technician?
Yeah, that’s business band conventional (non-trunking). I was pretty sure you had some flavor of business band license based upon your initial post. A HAM tech license would be a great start if you’re interested in building your coms knowledge base. GMRS is another option if you’re wanting to communicate with family that have no desire to pursue their own HAM ticket.

ETA: yes, you can take your tech license test online with a VEC (Volunteer Exam Coordinator) that offers online testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilotscrappy
I'm sure there is some sort of online resource to take the test ? For technician?

Checkout Ham Study to find a test. I used the Parc Radio guys and couldn't be happier. As far as studying for the Technician test, I recommend the book by Gordon West and the phone app "HAM Test Prep - Technician". Run the practice exams over and over. Review the questions you got wrong by looking the question code up in the book and reading what Gordon has to say. 2-3 day's of solid practice and you will get 30-33/35. Then it's time to schedule the test.

Some guys will say that studying to the test goes against the spirit of the whole thing, but I find that my learning truly began once I started using my privileges on the bands. So yes, studying this way won't really teach you. Buy like we say in aviation, your pilot certificate is a license to learn.

The technician test is pretty simple. The only thing my wife knew about electronics was the + side of an AA battery went in the + slot end of the tv remote. She studied some free online testing sites for couple of evenings and easily passed the test on the third night. The test is multiple choice and the ARRL publishes the question pool (about 500 questions) with the answers. If you read all 500 questions, the answer and why the answer is right, well, what could be easier?

20 yrs ago before decent interstate cell service, I would talk her home from the city she worked to the city we lived on 2m simplex about 30 miles away. She had a 50w radio in her car and I had a 50w radio at home. Once she was within 30 miles, we had a full quieting conversation.

As far as radios, don't cheap out. Most people here run top of line shooting equipment and you are now considering buying the absolute cheapest china crap? Does it work? Well, yeah, just don't drop it on the floor. For less than $150, you can buy a nice Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu 2m handitalkie. I have a nice Yaesu triband that is 15 yrs old. It has a magnesium body and takes all kinds of abuse. It's consumer quality, but it's the next best thing to commercial gear. The only thing I have replaced is the battery.

Questions from a guy that doesn't know Jack about the radio game.

Assuming I didn't currently plan to get a license:
What is a reasonable distance to expect good communication in the middle of nowhere and in wooded areas? I'm not talking about just outside of town here... I'm taking about where cell service sucks or is NON EXISTENT

If I have ZERO plans to talk to anyone outside of a small hunting party, but might be curious about listening in for NOAA broadcast and maybe rescue / police scanning outside of a hunting trip which type of frequency do I need to research?

Given the above ... does anyone have a weather proof / radio idiot proof / easy to program suggestion for keeping 2-3 people in communication somewhat quietly?

What is a reasonable distance to expect good communication in the middle of nowhere and in wooded areas? I'm not talking about just outside of town here... I'm taking about where cell service sucks or is NON EXISTENT

If I have ZERO plans to talk to anyone outside of a small hunting party, but might be curious about listening in for NOAA broadcast and maybe rescue / police scanning outside of a hunting trip which type of frequency do I need to research?

Given the above ... does anyone have a weather proof / radio idiot proof / easy to program suggestion for keeping 2-3 people in communication somewhat quietly?
Weather resistant, you say...? "cough..." Standard Horizon HX380 marine band radio programmed for the 5 MURS (Multi-Use-Radio-Service, license free) frequencies. "cough..." You'll need to find the programming software (Google) and do a little learning, or find someone willing to do it for you. Range: couple-hundrd yards up to a mile on a really good day, very-much depending on terrain. The HX380 will come with weather frequencies already programmed. If you really don't want to mess with any programming Buy 2-Way Radios is now selling VHF Wouxun handies pre-programmed for MURS.

One thing I didn't think to mention is if you're looking for more juice don't constrain yourself to hand helds. A lot of ham radio operators do stuff like build mobile units into ammo cans. I've been thinking about doing something like that with a 12V RC Car battery since they're not horridly expensive, the chargers aren't too heavy and they would provide fairly decent life. I don't know that I'd want to run a full 50W mobile but even a 25W would be a nice boost from a HT especially if you use a quality mobile antenna to match.

Weather resistant, you say...? "cough..."
Yea I say that because around here the weather at 2:30 makes you think it's a nice calm evening to go hunting
3:00 on way to stand
415572964927004.gif

3:30 walking to stand
FS6JYB7I2NAZFN634MYHMDK7QQ.gif

Welcome to Virginia
If you don't love the weather... Wait twenty minutes

• Wow
Reactions: Snuby642

If you aren't going to get a ham license and want to operate legally, I will point you to UHF MURS or FRS radios. They are simple and work reasonable well considering the cost and most have NOAA stations preset. You don't want to subject them to a downpour. In my experience, full quieting (excellent audio) is a couple hundred yards and broken audio up to 500 yds. Pine needles are said to resonant around UHF and that degrades your signal.

If you want simple, MURS and FRS is the way to go. If you are really serious about communicating in the woods, you guys need to spend some time in a ham club, get an elmer (ham lingo for a mentor), learn the ropes, and spend some money. I never could get anyone in my hunting group to go to the trouble of getting a ham license and we suffered with FRS for years until the cell service improved in our hunting area and we dropped FRS entirely. With a ham setup using a radio in your truck parked in the right spot and set up for crossband repeat, you can have a very powerful radio system or if there is a repeater close to where you hunt, all the better.

There are some guys around here use 2m marine radios for hunting. They are very easy to use with preset channels, are weatherproof, are powerful, accept different antenna systems, work very well in the woods, and are very illegal to use hunting unless you are standing in water when you transmit. In the unlikely event you should get caught, the fine is very hefty.