• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inexpensive loading scale.

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    Not sure if this should be posted here or in "Equipment". But I'll post it up here.

As I've been perusing different reloading threads and such, I kept coming upon "after confirming my load on another scale..." and I wondered why would you need a confirmation check for the expensive loader and built in scale? After one round of loading using my RCBS and more research I concluded it indeed is needed. 1. Obviously measure twice, cut once applies. 2. A second measuring stick helps ease the conscious of what if in regards to your other measuring stick. 3. The RCBS, while great, does not have the resolution needed for extremely precise loading of powder. It's workable and does what it does well but if you want a 1/10 grain resolution, you need a .001/gram scale. Otherwise you're stuck with the advertised +/- .1 grain. I thought I had an easy fix but it wasn't what I needed. I thought a 1/100 gram scale would suffice not realizing how small 1/10 grain actually is. I began my searches and happened upon the reason for this thread.

Maybe it's been found and pointed out but I felt I would share my inexpensive solution with you. I have exactly 1 round of 51 loaded cartridges with this scale and an RCBS Chargemaster w/ some minor programming mods that made replicating a consistent and timely charge simple and enjoyable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GYVQF3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a pretty decent amount of experience with digital scales and this one is extremely useable and accurate. The price is unreal for how well this thing works. The programming keeps it from "fluttering" and is extremely stable yet able to read one or two cylinders of H4350. Like any scale, there's a sweet spot for dropping grains but it's easy to find and repeatable. Both scales "agreed" using any of the three 50g calibration weights provided with the RCBS and this scale. The platform is nearly a perfect fit for the RCBS metal dish. For its small size and weight it's extremely stable too. It never wanted to move around on my bench. It's small enough that you can keep it right in front of the RCBS and move the pan from the RCBS to this scale's platform with out it being awkward or dainty. Slide off straight back and down on the platform of the confirmation scale. No cords to get in the way and it takes 2 AAA batteries that are NOT included. Which was kind of a surprise but not a big deal.

I found that you can extend it's time out to 180 seconds and that is critical in making this a good solution to a great one. Delivered it's set to 30 seconds and you'll go insane turning it on every time you want to confirm a charge. Turn on the scale. When it's ready, press and hold the "Tare" button until a '30' appears. Cycle through the '60', '120' and stop at '180'. Turn the scale off and you should get a "Pass" message on the screen telling you you're successful.

At this point, I'd give it a solid 5 stars out of 5. It acts like a much more expensive precision scale, is resilient to fluttering and it's not finicky. It's stable, repeatable, and stays on zero.

Last edited:
    Can you really tell down range if your loads are really +/- .1 gr. It is a practical solution you found there.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    This link is probably floating around somewhere else on the site but the above statement reminded of a test posted out a couple weeks ago.

Powder Drop Test Part 1 - Prometheus, Auto Trickler, Chargemaster, Hornady, Harrells

Powder Drop Test Part 1 - Prometheus, Auto Trickler, Chargemaster, Hornady, Harrells

Interesting! Definitely watch to the end to catch Part 2.

What I found most intriguing was the results of gun #2, where the powder throw with the highest SD of weight by 50% over the second highest yielded the lowest SD of velocity!

I'm sure these guys are just as analytical as I am and don't doubt them when they say case preparation was the same for all cases, but I've got to think there are other variables going on.

Then when they get to group size you throw in the human element, and of course the wind.

My takeaway is, if you can keep your charges to +/- .1 grain, you will be better off controlling other variables before trying to get to +/- .05 grain.

I couldn't believe the Harrels did that well, it was the worst performer by far in concern with powder charge accuracy but performed well in one of the rifles as far as SD and was very near the performance for the Prometheus and the Auto Trickler where group size are concerned.

A good argument for those who believe charge volume is as important as charge weight.

The interesting part is the Harrells was 4 times faster than the Prometheus and 8 times faster than the Auto Trickler. If time value is an important consideration it seems something to consider. If it was reasonably established performance didn't suffer I for one would rather trade an of reloading for an hour shooting. The training value gained with the extra time and money saved to put into the cost of components could be a much better investment.

After seeing this I am seriously considering getting a Harrells and starting off every range day with a zero confirmation including a 5 round group test of size and muzzle velocity between the Harrels and the Auto Trickler. It's an interesting test that I will probably never follow through to completion, but I'd like too.

Last edited:
    A good argument for those who believe charge volume is as important as charge weight.

Both Federal brass and Hornady brass that proves out it's not wight but pressure w/ equals FPS. The Federal produces similar FPS w/ less charge than the Hornady or Lapua. The Federal is marked in the first photo, the second is entirely Lapua.

40693582941_b06f8d9994_c.jpg

26803024548_8d365508ac_c.jpg