• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inflation.......... ?

Hobo Hilton

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Pacific Northwest
This is a non-scientific study by one old guy on a fixed income.

Without quoting government statistics or giving specific information. Since the first of 2021, how much more are things costing ?

My example is how much I pay for pelleted chicken feed. My cost is up 3.5% since 1/1/2021.

Hobo
147_300x300_Front_Color-NA.jpg
Procrastination1.jpg

Last edited:
Got a letter from a supplier Friday letting me know they were not honoring any prior quotes. Last quote that I got from them was used to submit a bid the day before. About a 20% increase on a 6 figure item in one day.

Jeeps new fully loaded Grand Wagoner costs 111,000. Inflation is here.

I'm glad my two, fairly new vehicles('17 & '19) are paid off. I just hope they never break. Looked at the new Bronco, and wasn't very impressed, for what they want for them and I buy the "fully loaded" packages/trim levels. Mac

Primer prices have gone up a lot even at places like Brownells and Midway. CCI 400s used to be right around $30/1000 now at Brownell's it's $46. It's even worse for Federal 205Ms which were in the low $30 range for 1000 and now $56 at Brownells. Midway is a bit lower but it's still a crazy amount of inflation. And don't even look on Gunbroker. LOL

Contrary to the lie being perpetuated by the government (no worries about inflation) things are getting expensive and doing it quickly.
Yes. It is bad.
I quoted a project back on 1-6-21. Held my price for 30 days when others were holding for 15. Got a call back this Monday (thankfully outside of my 30 day window). Re-priced the material and it went up $640,000 (that includes sales tax and a very mild profit margin).

Steel started going up in early November.
Wide flange (aka “I beams” to most people) has gone up $350 per ton. Heavy plate and angle has gone up about $600 per ton and plate and tubing has gone up over $1,100 per ton. Coil is even worse.

if you place an order today for bar joists, the absolutely fastest you will receive it is 28 weeks.

I had a guy at one of my joist/deck suppliers tell me in a round about way that his company is intentionally jacking prices up to make people stop placing orders. Think about that. Another supplier told me in 1 day they booked up 1 month of their annual capacity!

I can't tell you about every day items, but I'm in the structural steel business and the prices are the highest they have ever been.
It is causing us some major problems right now. Pipe/tubing and coil have been the worst.

Got a letter from a supplier Friday letting me know they were not honoring any prior quotes. Last quote that I got from them was used to submit a bid the day before. About a 20% increase on a 6 figure item in one day.

I work for a large Mechanical and Plumbing contractor (I'm a pipe fitter and plumber that works in management now), I estimate and buy everything. This steel pipe increase is causing me all kinds of headaches. I cant get any guarantee that a quoted price will hold past the day its quoted. Fortunately, I arrange and lock in prices for a project in the beginning of a project roll out. Copper isn't as bad, but its not good either. I have not been told by any suppliers that they are not holding previous agreements though, yet...

I have one contract I'm trying to secure, a smaller one that I bid at 1.5 million. The customer is dragging their feet with my contract, I told them my cost increase (not marked up) for steel pipe and fittings was $70,200 and I cant give any guarantee that I can even hold that price.

I remember copper doubling in price in roughly 2002ish, but this is even crazier.

Yes. It is bad.
I quoted a project back on 1-6-21. Held my price for 30 days when others were holding for 15. Got a call back this Monday (thankfully outside of my 30 day window). Re-priced the material and it went up $640,000 (that includes sales tax and a very mild profit margin).

Steel started going up in early November.
Wide flange (aka “I beams” to most people) has gone up $350 per ton. Heavy plate and angle has gone up about $600 per ton and plate and tubing has gone up over $1,100 per ton. Coil is even worse.

if you place an order today for bar joists, the absolutely fastest you will receive it is 28 weeks.

I had a guy at one of my joist/deck suppliers tell me in a round about way that his company is intentionally jacking prices up to make people stop placing orders. Think about that. Another supplier told me in 1 day they booked up 1 month of their annual capacity!

Steel...

1615489050487.png

Attachments

• 1615488948727.png
    1615488948727.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 136
The current environment, especially with that garbage stim bill, puts the odds of serious inflation higher than any time since the 80s. That said, and it is an important note, some of our understanding of drivers of inflation have failed over the last decade.

it’s important to remember that sector inflation and overall inflation are not the same, which has been the saving grace of the technology era. I don’t think it will hold this time but who knows.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Sure starting to look like trump was correct in trying to add to the spr last year. Smdh.

Reactions: Ruger1300
Jeeps new fully loaded Grand Wagoner costs 111,000. Inflation is here.

I think that’s more lol than inflation

Per inflation, it’s all fiat paper anyways, all it’s value comes from perception and popularity, as long as we are the most powerful mil and the peasants don’t lose faith in their lord and savior the all mighty state, think it’ll be OK.

Inflation is rising, the Fed even stated they will let inflation surpass the target (2% generally) before they take any corrective measures.

I think that’s more lol than inflation

Per inflation, it’s all fiat paper anyways, all it’s value comes from perception and popularity, as long as we are the most powerful mil and the peasants don’t lose faith in their lord and savior the all mighty state, think it’ll be OK.
It is pretty comical for what is basically a loaded Grand Cherokee with a Hemi V8 engine to cost 111k. My question is, is this the new norm for now? Pickup trucks cost 75k for a loaded gas job. I'm glad that I can fix my own vehicles. I will be repairing my vehicles and not paying these prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboTrout
This is a non-scientific study by one old guy on a fixed income.

Without quoting government statistics or giving specific information. Since the first of 2021, how much more are things costing ?

My example is how much I pay for pelleted chicken feed. My cost is up 3.5% since 1/1/2021.

Hobo

Today you are seeing it as empty shelves. Go to a RV dealer or try to buy a new sea doo. Many are sold out.

Reactions: Bender
I can't tell you about every day items, but I'm in the structural steel business and the prices are the highest they have ever been.
It is causing us some major problems right now. Pipe/tubing and coil have been the worst.
Pipe and tubing costs are insane because raw stock is 6 to 8 months out. If I need honed tubing NOW my honing source has to pay retail from a place that has the raw stock, turn it into honed I.D. tubing and send it to me adding cost along the way. Both of my tubing suppliers have told me the same thing... "If I place a purchase order today for raw material I might see it in 6 to 8 months." My line of work is gonna suck in the short term...

It is pretty comical for what is basically a loaded Grand Cherokee with a Hemi V8 engine to cost 111k. My question is, is this the new norm for now? Pickup trucks cost 75k for a loaded gas job. I'm glad that I can fix my own vehicles. I will be repairing my vehicles and not paying these prices.

Fancy pickups have been about that price for a while, limited tundra, F150/250 king ranch, they make great trucks when they are lease turn ins with 20k miles and under half the price though lol

Reactions: Maggot
I thought I read the value of the dollar has dropped 20% over the last year.

The stimulus isn't going to help.

Gas is up (therefore so is everything else), groceries up, shitty fast food is up

Not sure about 20% but it’s value is going to be lower as we keep treating it like Monopoly money.

Diesel has been going up 10 cents per gallon per week. Currently $3.00. Sarcastically = Thanks Dems, [tip my hat] much appreciated !
Diesel was like 4.25 per gallon last week in California when I was there for work.

• Wow
Reactions: Thorny
Diesel has been going up 10 cents per gallon per week. Currently $3.00. Sarcastically = Thanks Dems, [tip my hat] much appreciated !

See, this is why we need electric vehicles. No one is going to be able to afford fuel as they shut down the fuel industry for climate change.

See, this is why we need to bicycle everywhere. No one is going to be able to afford to charge their car as they shut down the power industry for climate change.

See, this is why we need to limit how often people are allowed to exercise. Climate change will worsen if people are exhaling too much.

See, this is why we need to purge the population. Too many people are breathing.

U.S. dollar is now so diluted, it's going to be hyper inflation like nothing seen in the past.
We'll be raising our products prices 15%+ in a month or two. No way around to avoid price increases.
Stock market going up in this situation is a clear indication how much U.S. dollar is fucked up...

See, this is why we need electric vehicles. No one is going to be able to afford fuel as they shut down the fuel industry for climate change.

See, this is why we need to bicycle everywhere. No one is going to be able to afford to charge their car as they shut down the power industry for climate change.

See, this is why we need to limit how often people are allowed to exercise. Climate change will worsen if people are exhaling too much.

See, this is why we need to purge the population. Too many people are breathing.

Where do you think electricity comes from?

The enviro terrorists want to destroy power plants with BS regulations and whatnot just the same.

Reactions: stefan73
Diesel was like 4.25 per gallon last week in California when I was there for work.
The dems here call the oil companies greedy but the state makes more in taxes per gallon than the oil companies do in profit.

Its cheaper to refine here, and send gas via rail and truck to other states where gas is 1 to 2 dollars less.

And then there is our shitty winter blend gas that decreases mpg.

Luckily finished buying out a large medical facility several months ago. Steel, p-lam, aluminum, solid surface, copper, gyp board, etc all going up. Pounding on the architects to turn submittals around quickly so my subs don't take a hit.

But ... I traveled and built both power plants and data centers all over America. Now I'm hearing all those power plants are furnishing power to the data centers so they can mine Bitcoins.
That info is coming out in the wash... World wide.

Reactions: Badjujuu
Luckily finished buying out a large medical facility several months ago. Steel, p-lam, aluminum, solid surface, copper, gyp board, etc all going up. Pounding on the architects to turn submittals around quickly so my subs don't take a hit.
You are in the "squeeze chute".... Hopefully you will get a completion without a long punch list tying up that last draw. Put the Force majeure in the next bids....

Bought a load of steel to make a hay feed trailer Saturday......steel has gone up like a rocket since my last load a few months ago.
Gas has gone up .95 since inauguration.

Only going to get much much worse with the bullshit policy makers currently calling the shots on economics.

Just wait until the building boom, stock market and printed money economy crash.

U.S. dollar is now so diluted, it's going to be hyper inflation like nothing seen in the past.
We'll be raising our products prices 15%+ in a month or two. No way around to avoid price increases.
Stock market going up in this situation is a clear indication how much U.S. dollar is fucked up...
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.05.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.59.55 PM.png

2nd is the 10yr treasury. Match up the timelines and see the corner we're painted into.

+ $1.9T

It only ends one way.

Last edited: