• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Info for Starting at Rimfire Competitions?

MichaelKUltra

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
I'm a 16 yo kid in Michigan wanting to start in rimfire competitions, I've shot my whole life and I'm just starting to get ready for a match. I essentially know nothing, I've been practicing with a Ruger All-Weather 77/22 and a tasco pronghorn scope that's given me pretty good results as far as I know. I know how to zero and everything, I grew up going to Appleseed with my dad and I've just recently gotten serious about shooting good groups and perfecting my form. Can anyone give me some good resources with just where to start? I don't know if my equipment is good enough to do anything with but I've got some savings and a certain amount of financial support so I am prepared to get new stuff I just need to know where to look for the info. Thanks a bunch in advance for any help ya'll can offer.

I just shot my first rifle match yesterday but have shot IDPA in the past. I have been reading and watching youtube for a couple years. First match ended up being crazy wind swirling on the range and snow later along with really tough stages. All I can say from my limited experience is just go shoot a match. At this match and the IDPA matches everyone has always been awesome and love newcomers. Very welcoming, willing to give pointers, and help. Oh and dont worry they will laugh with you. Shoot what you bring and dont focus on how well or not so well you do. Just have fun and focus on trying to learn how it all works and your fundamentals.

Thanks @IamJoHo I will take your advice and not think too much about it.

@ManOfMystery I'm not 100% but I was thinking of sticking to rimfire for now to keep it relatively simple although my passion eventually lies with 1000yd high caliber stuff.

You need to learn what kinds of matches are held within whatever distance you would travel to attend. Ideally, you would find a match where you are able to dial your scope for each target or target set you engage. Unfortunately, PRS-style matches will present targets at varying distances out to 300 yards and require fast, precise elevation changes or holdovers for which your Tasco scope just isn't built. It appears that your scope has capped, field-style turrets which are intended to be set once and left alone.

Check the NRL22 site. I don't know much about their matches because none are held near where I live (while other monthly or quartery matches are).

Here's a thought for you - find a match that's within a convenient distance and contact the match director. Tell him (almost always a him) you're a young, new shooter who is just getting started and you're concerned whether your gear would work well enough for the match. The expectation I have, based on the people I know who run matches here in NC, is you will be offered a rifle and assistance to shoot your first match. You are the future of the shooting sports, and experienced shooters want you to have a good time and learn while doing so.

In the meantime, you could check into the online training here. Click on your userid at the top right of the screen and select Account Upgrades. The selections have changed, but it looks like the "Supporter" upgrade for $20/month gets you access to the online training for tactical/practical shooting. So you go through all the training there, and then return to free membership.

There is a gold mine of information here in Snipers Hide. Overall, precision rifle quickly becomes a very, very expensive pursuit - even the rimfire disciplines / matches. You're young enough to have a lot of fun, and learn/practice the fundamental skills needed to shoot well, with the rig you have now. If your dad gets into shooting matches, that could be awesome for both of you. The main thing is to have fun. It's easy to lose sight of that when one gets "serious."

Good luck to you!

Not familiar with the rifle you listed but based on the Ruger website its chambered in 22 Hornet. I'm not aware of any rimfire matches that allow anything other than 22lr so this may be an issue.

As was already suggested reach out to whoever runs your local matches tell them what you got. They will help. I have seen bags, ammo, scopes' chassis', entire rifles loaned out to get people shooting. You will learn more about what you need after shooting a few matches than anything else. The learning curve can be a bit steep but just concentrate on improving it will all come to you. Don't think being 16 is a setback, most people in my area get their ass flat out handed to them by a 16 year old.

Links will take you to the ARA/ABRA websites, and you can see if there are any ranges that hold matches in your general area. Both of these type of matches are 22lr only, shot from a bench. Snoop around each website and you will find examples of the approved targets used in each. In addition, try and attend a match, ask questions of the guys setting up their equipment, they will be glad to talk to you, give advice and probably let you shoot a few rounds, maybe even a full target with their equipment. Do offer to pay for the ammo, but they will probably reply with "hope you come back soon", no charge.

There are other types of 22lr matches as mentioned above, just google those and see what you would like to try. GL

Hey, thanks alot guys! I'll definitely reach out to a match director nearby and go get a feel for what it means to compete. Thanks for the links and resources, this is exactly what I needed.

(My rifle is chambered in 22 lr, good looking out though)

I'm a 16 yo kid in Michigan wanting to start in rimfire competitions, I've shot my whole life and I'm just starting to get ready for a match. I essentially know nothing, I've been practicing with a Ruger All-Weather 77/22 and a tasco pronghorn scope that's given me pretty good results as far as I know. I know how to zero and everything, I grew up going to Appleseed with my dad and I've just recently gotten serious about shooting good groups and perfecting my form. Can anyone give me some good resources with just where to start? I don't know if my equipment is good enough to do anything with but I've got some savings and a certain amount of financial support so I am prepared to get new stuff I just need to know where to look for the info. Thanks a bunch in advance for any help ya'll can offer.

Find a match and take the equipment you have and have fun. Talk to as many shooters as you can ask about their equipment. Don't rush in to any equipment. The most expensive part of shooting is buying equipment over and over and over. Find good equipment and buy once.

Mark

Wow thanks, that’s all extremely helpful and has been noted. I wouldn’t have imagined the magnification necessary would be so high, I guess that’s the kind of thing that’s taken for granted so much that no one has yet mentioned it to me.
It’s worth noting that the tasco pronghorn is essentially the cheapest half-decent scope that was available when we got this rifle. I certainly was not planning on running that as my competition scope beyond a few matches but I guess I’ll have to find something else sooner than I thought. This is not a big deal, I have a few on other rifles and unused that I’ll evaluate for this and I’ll check out the equipment forums if I want more info. Most likely, I’ll just hit up a match and take the L just for the sake of talking to people and finding out what it’s really like/what I really need.

Best thing to do is to get out and shoot what you got. So many are put off by the thought of competing and spectators that they just won't.
Find competitions, hopefully reasonably close. Use the web and the usual suspects NRL,PRS and Snipers Hide. At local gun ranges ask around for places/comps that might not be published, one of my favorite comps is on private property and is completely word of mouth to find it.
If you get bit by the competition bug and want to upgrade, again, ask around there will be people who have gear that they have outgrown that may be perfect for your next level. Being as your in Michigan, when you want that next level contact Craig Kierstead at PDC Custom in Benton Harbor and maybe he can work something for you, he generally likes to help young guns.

These guys posted in the rimfire competition section. I would go through their facebook page and see if they are close enough for you

I'm a 16 yo kid in Michigan wanting to start in rimfire competitions...

First buy some SK rimfire ammo - pref Rifle Match

Go to an NRL match and post here proof of you attending. If you really enjoy it I have a 60% off a Burris optic of your choice I will give you. Put that on your Ruger and you will be competitive enough till you hone your skills and can afford a better rifle.

I would get 2 rimfire targets from JC Steel targets. Set one at 50 yds and one at 80 yards. Get a 6' step ladder. Shoot 2 rnds off ea step starting at top and finishing at bottom for a total of 10 rnds. When you are able to go clean under 90 seconds you should be very very comeptitive.

Nothing better than kids getting into it. Unfortunately Im only able to help with an optic but Burris makes 2 scopes that will outlast you.

GL!
DT

First buy some SK rimfire ammo - pref Rifle Match

Go to an NRL match and post here proof of you attending. If you really enjoy it I have a 60% off a Burris optic of your choice I will give you. Put that on your Ruger and you will be competitive enough till you hone your skills and can afford a better rifle.

I would get 2 rimfire targets from JC Steel targets. Set one at 50 yds and one at 80 yards. Get a 6' step ladder. Shoot 2 rnds off ea step starting at top and finishing at bottom for a total of 10 rnds. When you are able to go clean under 90 seconds you should be very very comeptitive.

Nothing better than kids getting into it. Unfortunately Im only able to help with an optic but Burris makes 2 scopes that will outlast you.

GL!
DT
This is awesome! Love the people in this forum.

Also if you want to come to Ohio feel free to come shoot with us. PRS/NRL matches the 14th, 28th and December 4th. You can come shoot my Vudoo. You will probably do better than I did this last Sunday.

This may help with the scope mounting options. It will add some height, but worth it for a rail IMO.

Cheek riser set up. Could probaby be made to work.

I've used both. Good on a budget.

@ManOfMystery I'm not 100% but I was thinking of sticking to rimfire for now to keep it relatively simple although my passion eventually lies with 1000yd high caliber stuff.
I guess a better question would be. Do you know what kind of .22 competitions are you wanting to shoot? Silhouette, 3-P, Prone, NRL22, Bench Rest, etc. But if you don't know the answer to that question you might want to do some investigation of what type of competitions there are out there. Because different types of competition will generally use different gear either to be competitive or to be compliant with rules.

Thanks for everything you guys!

@D_TROS I will do exactly that. What a generous offer!

@IamJoHo I appreciate the invite. I’m certainly game for Ohio matches, we midwesterners don’t shy away from a little drive right?

@BLJ thanks for the links, I’ll take a look at both of those.

@ManOfMystery I have no idea. I suppose it’s time I start getting to know my options regarding format. Although I will probably shoot Whatever I can in my area.
Thanks again gents

@ManOfMystery I have no idea. I suppose it’s time I start getting to know my options regarding format. Although I will probably shoot Whatever I can in my area.
Thanks again gents

You might be able to start here to see what is available in your area. http://www.michrpa.org/

Sometimes the junior clubs for 3-p will have gear they let kids borrow so they can see if it is something they're interested in so don't be intimidated if you don't have the gear for it. It's a great way to build fundamentals for shooting. You may have to unlearn something that you taught yourself, but the work will pay dividends for your shooting career in the future if you apply yourself.