• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Information help on M3 Warhead

Matt Yamilkoski

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Iowa
I know this isn't exactly a normal question on this site, but I ran into a strange item and can't find any information to further my curiosity. I hope someone has info to get me in the right direction.

I found a 24" long 60lb+ item on my job site. It is stamped M3 Warhead YCC-1-11 April 1957. I obviously turned it over to the local authorities and it is being guarded until the proper military groups can be mobilized to travel and retrieve it. The disposal unit sent the usual uniformed officer to verify and as they got more info they got uptight... many rumors spread by the officers as to "what ifs" etc. I would just like to know what I found, what it is used for, and how absolutely dumb or lucky I am to have moved it and not had any problems. Thanks guys

Re: Information help on M3 Warhead

I found the article just after it posted as well. Thanks for looking... sort of feel sheepish about it all looking back. If you are going to be dumb you better be tough... not sure I am tough enough to handle a live one! Glad it was empty and now have pictures of a Nike Hercules Warhead!

Re: Information help on M3 Warhead

As you are probably now aware, you found an empty warhead that my son and I apparently missed when we removed all of the ordnance items from the Chamberlain R&D Museum when the factory closed. The other several hundred items were sold to a collector in Indiana a couple of years ago. Feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss further. I am in the book. gunslinger gary wilcox