• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Information on a Browning 1885 Re-Barrel

jacklikesbigbores

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2022
Idaho
I'm doing a barrel & caliber change on a friends Browning 1885 single shot. I'm changing from a 45/70 caliber factory barrel to 6.5/284 Norma caliber on a Lilja barrel. All the chamber & barrel work is done except for cutting the extractor slot. The 45/70 barrel slot was about twice as wide as the one's for 22/250-30/06 size rims. I have the proper extractor (bought it from Numeric Arms) but don't know what the slot dimensions are for the barrel, I roamed the internet for any info but came up empty, is there anyone here that can help? I need the depth/length and angle of the slot to the relation of the bore centerline.
Note: This is NOT an original Winchester highwall but a Japanese/Browning replica, the slot comes up from under the chamber, not from the left side.

It's an old thread but some of the posters may be able to give you some meaningful advice.

It's an old thread but some of the posters may be able to give you some meaningful advice.
I had one chambered for 50-140-3 and a 1/4", I had to open up the loading port a little, but it worked, so your 450 should fit without the loading port work.