• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Innovation killing the spirit?

No, shooting a ton and competing a ton makes you a better marksman. Running a heavier gun gives you a SLIGHT advantage in hit percentage.

All the guys who are beating you with heavier guns (assuming you are competing) are beating you because they are better than you, not because they have a heavier gun. Except maybe the one or two guys who finished right in front of you.

IMO going from 15lbs to 25lbs is probably worth 2-3 points in a one day match. That’s it. So why are you upset about it?

I'd say in most matches, it's not even 2-3 points in a 1-day match at the top of the field. The mid-pack shooters might pick up that much, but the guys duking it out for first place wouldn't see that much - it might make a point difference at the end of the day.

Reactions: Sheldon N
Fixed to reflect what you really mean

There are some other facts that you seem to ignore
  • Not everybody hunts or cares about hunting. I frankly stopped giving a fuck about it a long time ago.
  • Most people who compete in precision rifle events also have other rifles that cover other purposes such as hunting and/or self defense
  • Some people who compete in precision rifle don't care about other forms of rifle shooting (probably very few of these)
It still boils down to you thinking that your vision of how things should be is the righteous one. Otherwise why do you keep insisting on this rifle weight shit?

Don't take it personally. And don't think I do either. I'm not truly upset about this; I just think its a wasted opportunity/shame.

Got it: you don't care how much this game translates to bettering hunters or marksmanship. Even if you don't hunt, you might stop to consider how many PRS/NRL shooters do hunt; I bet its well over 50%. How many formerly non-hunters are going to try hunting because of enjoying PRS/NRL....I bet a few more.

That is why I'm "insisting" there is a valid consideration. I've never insisted it has to be made law, just that people be made aware of the consequences of running "unrealistically" heavy rifles. Many people join this game imitating the trends and don't/won't even know they are short changing skill sets for no good reason other than 2-3 points. This is precisely why the top shooters cross train with 308--develop better MMS dealing with more recoil etc--rather than cross training with .224. Guys get lazy and in bad habits with heavy guns/low recoiling guns with high velocities. Having another rifle for hunting that is 40-50% lighter than your game rifle is actually part of my point; how much better could a guy be if he gamed (aka trained) with a 13lb AND hunted with a 13 lb rifle?

Again I got it, most of you posting in this thread are opposed to rifle weight restrictions and truly I don't expect to convince many or any of you otherwise. I'm posting the counter argument so that others reading this thread--often new guys who are lurking--can become more educated to make informed decisions.

I've made points for improving MMS and hunting lethality with sub 15lb guns. What is anyone gaining, how are the shooting sports being furthered by having 20lb+ rifles?

Don't take it personally. And don't think I do either. I'm not truly upset about this; I just think its a wasted opportunity/shame.

Got it: you don't care how much this game translates to bettering hunters or marksmanship. Even if you don't hunt, you might stop to consider how many PRS/NRL shooters do hunt; I bet its well over 50%. How many formerly non-hunters are going to try hunting because of enjoying PRS/NRL....I bet a few more.

That is why I'm "insisting" there is a valid consideration. I've never insisted it has to be made law, just that people be made aware of the consequences of running "unrealistically" heavy rifles. Many people join this game imitating the trends and don't/won't even know they are short changing skill sets for no good reason other than 2-3 points. This is precisely why the top shooters cross train with 308--develop better MMS dealing with more recoil etc--rather than cross training with .224. Guys get lazy and in bad habits with heavy guns/low recoiling guns with high velocities. Having another rifle for hunting that is 40-50% lighter than your game rifle is actually part of my point; how much better could a guy be if he gamed (aka trained) with a 13lb AND hunted with a 13 lb rifle?

Again I got it, most of you posting in this thread are opposed to rifle weight restrictions and truly I don't expect to convince many or any of you otherwise. I'm posting the counter argument so that others reading this thread--often new guys who are lurking--can become more educated to make informed decisions.

I've made points for improving MMS and hunting lethality with sub 15lb guns. What is anyone gaining, how are the shooting sports being furthered by having 20lb+ rifles?

You are the personification of hubris. Do you think everyone but you is completely fucking ignorant or stupid?

Nobody needs your "wisdom" or advice. Please get over yourself.

?

Hi,

OK so lets go with your data here for a second and see if we can get anything to make sense.

So in your words...over 50% of PRS/NRL members hunt. So my question to you is IF so; AND you are correct in regards to needing weight limits so that shit is more realistic for hunting then wouldn't over 50% of the PRS/NRL shooters be "Insisting" on same thing as you about weight limits? The fact they are not should be a clue to you that you do not speak for the hunters competing in PRS/NRL correct?

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: 308pirate
@clyancey After reading the last couple of pages, I'm curious. Are you competing in PRS/NRL matches?
No, he has already said that he hasn’t shot in a single one. And as such has no freaking idea what he’s talking about. He’s just bored and full of himself or just a very good troll.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
No, he has already said that he hasn’t shot in a single one. And as such has no freaking idea what he’s talking about. He’s just bored and full of himself or just a very good troll.

Ah, I missed that, thank you!

My match guns are 15-20lbs because I have to shoot 8-12 rounds off sometimes wobbly stuff in 90 seconds and they have 24-26” heavy barrels...

My hunting rifle is 9lbs scoped and all carbon fiber...because I only need 1 shot at a time (ideally)

They are purpose built for different tasks

I don’t need to practice with my hunting rifle slinging 10 rounds in 90 seconds...I take slow deliberate shots building the best possible position I can, given the time allowed to make the shot

I killed an antelope at 450'ish yards with my match gun this last year. I stalked it for 2 miles and the last 50yds was a text book . I used layers of natural veg to identify him thru a loophole, mounted my MPA, Heavy Palma, 5x25 Schmidt, TBAC Ultra 7, TT Diamond 6SLR shooting DTACs at 3000fps on the arca leveling base of my "gamer" $1400 tripod while kneeling behind tall prairie grass. I used the rear two legs to pivot the rifle, while standing up, into a standing tripod mounted position. I free-recoiled a pointed match bullet into the animal while standing behind the tripod. Chin barely mounting the comb, shoulder lightly brushing the buttpad, support hand applying pressure on the scope just ahead of the turret. I barely saw a red impact behind his shoulder thru the follow-thru in the scope, instantly realizing that I underjudged the howling 15'ish mph 45* angle wind by a .1mrad which was about an inch and a half farther back than I wanted it.

Gamer.

There's no gear out there that's going to help me. Well, I take that back. An iPhone sized doppler with a 2 mile range for a hundred bucks? Ummm.... a small device that can still the winds right in front of me with a 2 mile range? Sharks with laser beams? SOLD! End of the day, it's me against me and I'm for keeping things really simple. But I'd really love the sharks....

WTF at least I've shot a couple of club matches, so while I have a tiny, tiny point of reference that's a shitload more than what he has.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Hi,

@reubenski

1548429064922.png

You MUST have an 8lb rifle with only a paracord sling with uncle mike sling swivels in order to hunt animals....did you not get the memo from the unified hunting society?

Sincerely,
Theis

I killed an antelope at 450'ish yards with my match gun this last year. I stalked it for 2 miles and the last 50yds was a text book . I used layers of natural veg to identify him thru a loophole, mounted my MPA, Heavy Palma, 5x25 Schmidt, TBAC Ultra 7, TT Diamond 6SLR shooting DTACs at 3000fps on the arca leveling base of my "gamer" $1400 tripod while kneeling behind tall prairie grass. I used the rear two legs to pivot the rifle, while standing up, into a standing tripod mounted position. I free-recoiled a pointed match bullet into the animal while standing behind the tripod. Chin barely mounting the comb, shoulder lightly brushing the buttpad, support hand applying pressure on the scope just ahead of the turret. I barely saw a red impact behind his shoulder thru the follow-thru in the scope, instantly realizing that I underjudged the howling 15'ish mph 45* angle wind by a .1mrad which was about an inch and a half farther back than I wanted it.

Thats no shit. The other two guys I was hunting with were also shooting their match guns. One was an AX.

I also killed 4 whitetail on my Dads farm. 3 were heads shots under 80yds. The fourth was about 20yds away while she was walking, behind the shoulder. But they were with a custom 6 Creed hunting rifle, also suppressed. When I was growing up, I would've used a Marlin 30-30 lever action. Not a lot of MMS required there.

Damn dude, I don’t remember it being that dramatic lol

Reactions: delfuego
Why not just create another division instead of the crappy "production" division? Call it a Field Match Division and make any competitors in the division complete a 5 mile hike with all their gear before they begin. Anything they drop along the way is DQ'd from the match.

Why not just create another division instead of the crappy "production" division? Call it a Field Match Division and make any competitors in the division complete a 5 mile hike with all their gear before they begin. Anything they drop along the way is DQ'd from the match.

I agree there are those who carry too much gear, or have a reserve of extra gear waiting close by in their vehicle at these closely staged matches. But let's be realistic here, there are some people who shoot these matches that couldn't even walk 5-Mikes without gear and rifle, there are young Junior shooters, who's Parents have to carry their rifles for them, and I know of one shooter who has no legs, and no fingers on their support hand, and how do you make them jump through hoops to satisfy this requirement?

You could go the other direction, and create a Lightweight, Minimalist or Purist Division. You're only allowed to have a rifle weighing 13-lbs or less in 270Win or 30-06, the only gear allowed is a sling (no bipod, rear bag, etc.), and your scope cannot be over 6X. I'll bet good money not very many would enter that Division?

I myself am a firm believer of the "If you can carry it, you can use it" mindset.

Although PRS or NRL, or any of the Outlaw matches are never perfect, they wouldn't be drawing the number of shooters they do (with some matches sold-out), if it was soo bad, as the drama in these threads or on Facebook portray them to be. The trend of people complaining about gear, weight limits, etc. are mostly from those who never participated in these type of matches, and are looking in from the outside. Often they have their own personal bias on how things should be based on how they see other shooting sports such as Palma or Service Rifle. As @THEIS said previously, you have the option to go shoot those other discipline type matches instead of complaining.

I have my own ideas or preference of how things should be run in a match, but just like politics and religion, you're never going to agree on everything.
The course I've decided to take is only shoot Field style matches, or only shoot those matches that have a history of shooting off of natural terrain, realistic shooting positions, and minimize the man made unrealistic props. There are plenty of those types of matches for me to attend to keep me happy.

Last edited:
What is anyone gaining, how are the shooting sports being furthered by having 20lb+ rifles?

Did you go to SHOT show this year? Almost every rifle company is building a heavy "Precision Rifle" now. When you walk into that little manufacturers showcase thing at the main lobby area, the first thing you saw were three precision rifles on a rack. It's the hottest new shooting sport going, and only getting bigger. We had 91 shooters at our club match this month (crazy for January), almost half were new shooters, shooting 15+ lb rifles. That's more than the NRA highpower championships had in TOTAL for the XTC match last year. And isn't the point of shooting sports to get more people shooting? I'd say the precision rifle matches is doing that as good or better than any other rifle sport right now. Why change it?

Hi,

So can someone at the organizational level make a division for me? I only want to compete against others that have the same bolt weight as this.
View attachment 7015536

PS: They must also not have a 3 lug receiver since it adds too much to their scores compared to a 2 lug receiver.

Sincerely,
Theis
You won't make weight unless you mill off one of the lugs

Hi,

Well everyone upset at someone using xzy equipment versus what should be used based on THEIR version of practical should remember that in the real world (You know..the sniping world that keeps getting referenced) that would be like being upset because abc department has better equipment than your jkl department and you telling said abc department that it is not "practical" for them to be using that equipment.

Maybe just make every stage "Practical" like this image, since it is based purely off REAL world utilization.
View attachment 7008608

Or maybe this one..
View attachment 7008614

Or this one...
View attachment 7008621

How dare those guys bring that kind of equipment. Why can't they just show up and use a sling and 1 bag like everyone else??

Sincerely,
Theis

By this logic, all matches should be prone or with tripods. Unless an emergency (such as time not allowing), you’d never take a shot from a position that didn’t have the most stable position allowable.

Also, your picture only shows LE set up in positions that afford them time and opportunity to set these things up.

Not sure if you’ve ever had to hump a spec-rest (I have). You won’t be carrying it very far.

Find me a real world pic of someone humping anything more than a pack/bag and a tripod and I’ll show you a staged pic.

I’ll clarify my position a little. I do think some limits will need to be set in the future. And I think currently if we are going to continue a “tactical” division and continue to honor the original intent of said division, tactical division specifically needs some regulation. As it is, it’s basically just an “open” division with caliber restrictions. But, who cares really, there’s like 5 guys shooting that and they probably aren’t using their duty rig anyway.

As far as the rest, maybe they need some limits, maybe not.

As long as the stages are set up so it isn’t a requirement to have a high chance of cleaning a stage you need some crazy heavy gun and some crazy equipment, I honestly don’t care.

If the stage is reasonably cleanable with a bag an a 10/12lb rifle.......then there is no excuse.

At the end of the day, if there are 100 possible impacts (which are reasonably possible without “gamer” equipment), if I shoot an 80 with my 18lb AI and someone shoots a 95 with a 30lb rifle......it’s still my fault.

Shooting a 100 was still attainable with my equipment and I failed 20 times.

Now, if stages are developed where you have to have that 30lb rifle and 18 bags (the cooler stage at finale, cause let’s be honest, that was some gimmicky unsafe fuckery of a stage), then that should be addressed in the form of eliminating those types of stages.

Reactions: lash
I like to bitch about fundamentals. But in the end, if someone shoots better with shitty fundamentals because of a heavy rifle or light trigger, then mine or your fundamentals ain’t that good to begin with.

Reactions: lash
I’m planning on shooting my first prs match this summer l plan on having fun and try to win a station (win a battle not the war hahah) just great to get out and shoot.