• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Inside the larue auto reset target

jmorris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2006
TX
Does anyone have photos of the inner workings of the Larue auto resetting target they could share?

Re: Inside the larue auto reset target

Thanks. PM sent back to you.

jmorris, empty profile and whatnot, so yeah, I'll ask.

Are you wanting to COPY something of their design, or REPAIR one you already have?

Cause you'd think that you would contact the manufacturer if there is a problem with your item.

Wouldn't you?

especially one with such first class customer service!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jmorris, empty profile and whatnot, so yeah, I'll ask.

Are you wanting to COPY something of their design, or REPAIR one you already have?

Cause you'd think that you would contact the manufacturer if there is a problem with your item.

Wouldn't you?
</div></div>

He's not the Nailer without a reason
wink.gif

Mine is 4 years old and rock solid. Sorry, no pics.

looks like a windshield wiper motor. look at surplus center.

Not many 2.5-3 rpm windshield wiper motors and none strong enough to life a 30# hunk of steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpickett07</div><div class="ubbcode-body">larue makes awesome targets, i love mine </div></div>

So what are you wanting to sell? 36 comments/posts like this in less than 23 minutes?

Being interested in an auto reset rifle target for long range shooting I liked the Larue target but at over $1000 a pop they sounded a little expensive. After building several different auto reset plate racks I knew how much gear reduction was required to reset say 5, 8” round plates or 10 plates of different dimensions , it took quite a bit and the reduction systems I used took up a lot of space vertically. Not something that would be practical for defending against rifle fire or mobility so I decided to try one of the (box of) motors I have used in the past for different projects (6X4X2) you can see it rotate against the bench at start up.

The target is a 2/3 sized silhouette made of 3/8” AR500 and it takes 17 ft-lb to lift it from horizontal. There is still a lot of “stuff” to fabricate but it looks to have enough power to reset in less than 5 seconds.

Here is a video of the trial on the bench.

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/?action=view&current=1stautotarget.flv

I guess I have more time and equipment than money.

I got the low profile reseting rig working today now it needs armor and paint. I didn't have a CNC machine to mill the slot for the cam like the larue so I used a band saw and pressed the part onto another shaft.

some more crappy videos of it working.

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/?action=view&current=VID_00016.flv

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/?action=view&current=VID_00012.flv

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/?action=view&current=VID_00011.flv

Reactions: leomachining

Some have wanted better details of how it works. The cam is working on a pin from the bottom (grade 8 3/8" bolt cut off). There is a spring counter bored into the 1" shaft to keep the cam against the pin by pushing back on the motor. I used double split set collars to allow for adjustment.

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02064.jpg

DSC02065.jpg

DSC02073.jpg

DSC02067.jpg

I got the swtiching complete this afteernoon. I liked the proximity sensors that the larue used but I didn't want to waist the few I have (expensive) for such a simple job so I used some $.99 surplus limit swtiches that I had.

Stop limit open (target up and 270 degrees rotate ready for reset)

HPIM0398.jpg

Start limit closed (target down)

HPIM0399.jpg

both stop and start limit open (target up)

HPIM0402.jpg

Nicely done target, I hope it works well for you, this site has some very suspicious characters.

Thanks. I think they just didn't want to see such a good sponsor of our sports get jacked out of their idea, I understand that. FWIW folks have already contacted me to build one, or more, for them and the response is "I copied Larue's idea and am only posting the how to for other do-it-yourself types." I have no intention on going into business on others (good) ideas.

I didn't want to start a bunch of crap, I just have more time and equipment right now than money.

I got a little more done today.

Here are the batteries mounted and the on off switch that goes at the rear of the cover, recessed in a section of pipe to keep the lever from getting knocked off.

HPIM0407.jpg

Cover on

HPIM0408.jpg

Other side of cover. I will use a section of pipe to cover the near pillow block.

HPIM0410.jpg

I didn’t like the looks of the motor torquing against the plate, even though it would have lasted for years, I added two oil-lite rollers to keep it level and let it roll back and forth without friction.

HPIM0411.jpg

Another photo of the near side roller.

HPIM0412.jpg

I'll complete the welding and use 1/2" plate and a cross tie to protect the front this weekend for testing and order AR500 when I get a chance.

nice job. how many hours you got into that???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hodds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice job. how many hours you got into that??? </div></div>

I am not sure, I'll try to keep track on the next one.

I finished the first one today. Here is a photo of the bottom plate after a light sand blast the bolt is for a rubber damper off a VW bug.

HPIM0414.jpg

Here is the cover I used 1/2" rod to protect the swtich and charge ports and give you something to grab onto.

HPIM0415.jpg

The guts all together.

HPIM0416.jpg

The front with an extra plate to stop low hits from causing damage.

HPIM0417.jpg

The rear with power swtich and charge ports in place.

HPIM0419.jpg

Damn that is very nicely done, i wish i had the equipment and funds to build something like that.

my hat is off to you sir. pretty work! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~bog

what's the reset count on those batteries?? ie number of resets before recharging????

A few years back I saw and shot one the was driven off compressed air, it seamed to be serviceable as well

You guys should check out jmorris's case annealer. It is artistry in work. He makes some pretty neat stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's the reset count on those batteries?? ie number of resets before recharging????
</div></div>

I did the math for 7.5Ah batteries and they would do 3857 resets but wound up using 8Ah batteries. Even with 7.5 Ah thats just over 16 hours running constantly.

Thanks for the comment on the annealer, it was simple build and I still have some of the blades and plans left if anyone is interested.

I had a blade made a couple years ago and have a speed controller and motor but just haven't gotten around to making the table and putting it together. I have seen some of your projects over the years and they are genius.

what was your total cost??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what was your total cost?? </div></div>
Better question, how much if you built us one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what was your total cost?? </div></div>

I already had everything except the charge port ($5), bushings ($3), pillow blocks ($38), batteries ($39) and AR500 targets ($74.80) so just under $160 but again that’s with having a lot of what my wife calls “junk” sitting around.

None to be built for sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None to be built for sale.</div></div>
Fair enough. How about donations?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: modifier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None to be built for sale.</div></div>
grin.gif
</div></div>
1+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: modifier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
grin.gif
</div></div>

I'll help you out if you have any questions on building one for yourself. How is that?

That is some great work. Where are you located in Texas if I may ask?

Instead of a bunch of pm's answered individualy I'll put answers to questions here. The only reason I used a 24vdc motor was they were free and another battery cost a lot less than a gearmotor. I have no idea what they were intended for but they have plenty of ass for this application.

DSC01482.jpg

We took it out last Saturday and tested it with my 10.5" AR (the loads don't make PF) and it worked fine but my 9mm minor loads didn't drop it with low hits at 65 yds so I added an adjuster so you can trim the plate for greater sensitivity, so we can use it in pistol matches too. It requires no tools and only takes a few seconds to set. I also drilled a .090" hole through the adjuster and inserted a section of weed eater cord to act as an internal nylock so it stays put regardless of vibration.

HPIM0420.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: modifier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
grin.gif
</div></div>

I'll help you out if you have any questions on building one for yourself. How is that? </div></div>
That would work. Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get 4+ on a range spread out, add some timers which can reset in a "random" window and you have some real fun.
</div></div>

The reset is quicker that the Larue but still too slow for that. You would wind up shooting against the motor setting it up. You would need pneumatic or a very fast electric reset as you would need the target to fully appear before you would have time to make a shot.

Awesome thread man, gives me hope about building a target for myself.