• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing installing a break on my 300 RUM?

jimmyrjessie

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
I have a stainless 300 Rum remmy it has a sporting barrel on it i was wandering what size threads i should use my problem is if i use the 5/8 is i wont have very much shoulder but i would like to keep it a standered fine thread i could drop down to a 9/16 but that will only increase shoulder dia. by .015 thou. per side pluse how much the barrel tappers up will this be enought shoulder thanks for your help also if anyone is willing to send mr some prints on a break i would really appreciate it i am going to make my own. Just would like a few guide lines to go by when i do this.any and all help is very much appreciated and i will be sure to take picks as i do the work if you guys would like.

Re: installing a break on my 300 RUM?

ttt need some help hoping to start this project first of the week

I'll save you the hassle of making one. I have a Vias muzzle brake that has 1/2"-32 TPI it is stainless steel. I believe it is 13/16" in diameter and right at 2" long. I would take $80 plus shipping for it.

I have these on my 340 WBY and also a 7mm Mag and they work very well.

John

i appriciate the offer but right now i have more time than money but if you can give me some advise that would be great.

does anyone have any insight i really am concerned about turning down to .500 threads but if yall think its what needs to be done its what i will do

my only concern is it leaves little to no shoulder on the barrel what do i do about that at the end of the barrel is like .628 right now

If you are going to make the muzzle brake yourself you can make it what ever thread diameter you want. Just figure out how much shoulder you think you want to have and then go from there. It doesn't need to be any particular size, just make it what you want and then make the muzzle brake fit the barrel threads.

John

if you are making one, you could make the threads long and use a jam nut instead of a shoulder. this will allow you to time the brake in the position you want and lock it down without having to tighten it against a shoulder. if you have a symmetrical brake, you could also move the brake forward and back to tune the barrel.

never thought of the jam nut that is a great idea could even make the jam nut my self nurrel it to make it look alittle more appealing i also thought about turning it down to 1/2-20 threads was just conerned about loosing beef on the barrel but i guess if the break is on there is would be the same anyway. i dont know how to tune the barrel like stated is this a better option?

i have a brake rough drwan up on auto cad i would like to post the drawing to get some ideas but dont know how for sure

I am getting ready to start doing the maching on my first brake but would really like to speak with someone on this matter first anyone who is will to share some of there information on this subject with me would u please pm me and i will give u my phone number i just have some questions.

on a .30 sporter barrel i always use a 9/16 thread it leaves just enough shoulder that you dont have to worry about the break being too thin. i make all of my own breaks and usually make a vais clone type. they are fairly easy to make they work well and they look great too. also if you dont plan on using a suppressor or anything like that i would go with a courser thread. they are less likely to getting damaged by dirt and carbon bould up and makes removal alot easier.. i just did a break on a .300 r.u.m. and used a 9/16-18. hope this info helps

thanks to all for your help i made my brake and installed it on my 300 rum it worked perfectly the reduction in recoil was amazing. i have pics if anyone is interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300ultramag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks to all for your help i made my brake and installed it on my 300 rum it worked perfectly the reduction in recoil was amazing. i have pics if anyone is interested. </div></div>
Post 'em. You started this, so you can't leave us hanging without the final results.

I dont know how to post the picks can some one help me.

no ear plugs are plenty my buddy shot it with no plugs said it was not awful but was loud.

hey mate I am just thinking around when I get a job of buying a new rifle I want to get a magnum but im not sure what one. 300 hm or 300 rum? I want to go with a remington 700 sps maybe a knoxx axiom stock and I am going to brake it. about how is the recoil? Heavy 30-06 load? I'm looking at 3 brakes at the moment
EGW space comp
JP Enterprises Bennie Cooley
and a PRI Quiet Control

I can shoot about 25 rounds from my 06 before I start to twitch a bit. I am really looking into the 300 win mag because there is no way I'll be able to ever shoot passed 1000 because my eyes suck anyways. However if the 300 rum doesn't kick much more with a brake then maybe just to say I have one I'll get it
laugh.gif

But yeah about whats the recoil like with a brake on a 300 RUM is all I want to know.

Thanks, Keith

url][IMG]
this post didnt work but tge next one does.

Looks cool. How did you come up with the size for the holes on top? Did you tune it or just drill them to whatever size seemed handy?

A little late to help, but a number of brakes come with cut specs that allow the brake to lock up either at the base of the threads when there is sufficient shoulder diameter or lock up on the muzzle face simply by making the tenon-length longer than the depth of the threaded hole in the brake. be certain that the bottom of the hole is perpendicular and the brake is designed for such an installation.

I drilled the holes in the top with a number 21 drill tap drill for a 10-32 i wanted enough down force to help with muzzle rise and i drilled a few extra figuring if it was to much i could always tap them and plug the holes with a set screw as needed i guess in a since tunning the brake. as far as the size of the slots i just went with what i thought would reduce recoil without being to big and goddy. it is a little big but it looks kinda cool anyway, to answer your question it reduced recoil drasticly a good bit less than a 30-06 i have not had a chance to see how it groups now but when the weather breaks i will print it and give a report thanks to all that helped and for any and all thoughts and feelings on my project.