• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Installing a new scope

ac8528

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2009
delaware,us
What is the best way to sight in a new scope. Laser bore, exc. I confused because I am using a mil dot scope so it should be at zero. I I am new to this so this is my first post so go easy on the FNG. I also tried the serch but came up with nada. Thanks

Re: Installing a new scope

Whats your location?
I,m betting there are some members close that would be willing to help you out, still its pert easy.

Search posts etc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karl2U</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats your location?
I,m betting there are some members close that would be willing to help you out, still its pert easy.

Search posts etc </div></div>

Yeah, fill out your profile. I had TONS of feedback on people willing to help me. Turns out somebody offered me their time just a few minutes from me.

Still waiting on my glass though (replacement rifle comes in today, YAY!)

Well the links are good but i am looking for how to sight in a scope. I have a super sniper so because it is mil dot do i still sight is in at 25yrds and go to 100?

if you mean sight in the rifle with your super sniper scope

before you start , assuming the scope is mounted , ensure you have a safe weapon, and mechanically center the erectors for both elevation and windage,

take your elevation turret, spin it all the way down or up, until it reaches the end of its travel, physically stopping

slowly start turning , click by click, counting as you go, in the opposite direction, ie., back up or back down, until you reach the other travel limit, make sure you count the clicks or you will be doing it again

for a 1/4 moa click optic, divide by four and that gives you the total moa travel of your optic for elevation and then windage when you do that one . one , two , three , four clicks, makes one moa of travel , right ?

then divide your total clicks, in half and come back to center with the turret knob, using the click count you just accomplished

so if you count 280 clicks up , 280 \ 4= 70 moa total travel
280 clicks in half = 140 clicks to get the turret mechanically centered - write all this down in your data book, for safe keeping , in case you ever remove the optic, send it off for repair, place it on another rifle , etc.,

this is why for a .308 you will probably need a 20 moa cant scope base, like a Badger Ordnance rail or Seekins, EGW etc.,

repeat this process for the windage -

now get to your range or shooting spot -

and , yes , you bore sight, typically at 25 yards (if its a bolt gun , pull the bolt, sand bag the gun front and rear, place a target or pick an object downrange at 25 yards or 50 yards works well too

sight from the rear of the gun through the action and down the bore of the rifle, move the gun gently until you can see your OBJECT your picked out, in the bore downrange;

without moving the rifle, adjust your scope turrets, moving the reticle until it lines up on the object/target also, checking frequently thru the bore to ensure the downrange object is still lined up

when you are satisfied , replace the bolt, load three rounds and shoot them, verifying its bore sighted

now move to a target thats at 100 yards

and shot a sighter group , adjust accordingly until you achieve
point of aim =point of impact

when you do , achieve your shots going where you are aiming them , in a nice 5 shot group

very carefully , you will want to 'slip ' your scope turrets, to get them back to '0' both for elev. and wind.

use a allen wrench or torx wrench and gently do this by loosening the hex head screws in the top of the turret body and physically lift up on the turret once the screws are backed off sufficiently, and turn the turret the number 0 lines up with the large vertical line on the turret stem/erector housing

you should have horizontal hash marks to indicate the height of the turret as you move it 'up' the turret gets higher and 'exposes' more of these horizontal hash marks;

line up the '0' on the turret with the vertical single line , that these horizontal lines connect to

now you are sighted in at 100 yards, your turrets are slipped to '0' and '0' and you need to log down how many horizontal hash marks are exposed , while the scope is at its 100 yard zero setting. so when you get to cranking the turrets adding 30 MOA to hit a 900 yard target you don't 'get lost ' on the scope,

so if you have two horizontal hash marks exposed on the left and one on the right, of your elevation turret, log this in your sniper rifle data book

100 yard dope setting, elev. turret shows 2 left / one right, on "0"

there you go , get busy , have fun !!

George

i did this today for a new gun i just got back

and the bore sighting , verifying shots were 6" low at 100 , from where they impacted at 50yds

but dead nuts lined up, left to right

so there you go it works, and YOU learned something , its free
no boresighter tool needed , you can do this in the field, in an emergency , etc.,