• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Installing detachable mag bottom metal on Rem 700.

longshotbml

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
South-East Michigan
I have a Remington 700VS with the H.S. precision stock. The rifle is only mildly modified and shoots .8" at 200yds. I wanted to add the convience of a detachable magazine system and in the Brownells catalog found the Tacticle Rifles bottom metal that will accept A.I. Magazines. The catalogue wording made it sound like minor fitting was required; that is a gross understatement. This thing is built like a battle ship. Which is great for strength and rigidity but it is going to require a lot of inletting. I contacted TR and they will do the modification, but the cost is steep. Have any of you tackled this project? Are there any smiths lurkinig that are familar with this mod? I dont want to screw things up and I may just send the parts back. I'm fairly advanced for a amature but this looks like a project that has several points where things can go sideways. Thanks for the input.

Re: Installing detachable mag bottom metal on Rem 700.

I wouldn't tackle it yourself if you not qualified on a mill. It isn't that difficult you don't need a gunsmith to do it. I guess a cheaper alternative find a machine shop in your town, maybe you know one? They give detailed instructions of inletting and anyone that knows how to run a milling machine can do it and save you a few bucks. I did it on my B&C stock took about an hour and a half.

+1 on this.

I just did my first two inlets for DBM, Badger/Bell&Carlson, and a CDI/Savage LA. ONLY with a mill and some level of skill is this a D.I.Y. undertaking. Took me a lot longer than the hour and a half, and I've been making chips for 40+ years.

YMMV
Emory Jones

I don't have access to a mill. But it's good to know that's the way to go. I think I need to go talk to a couple of smiths. Thanks for the replies.
For anyone interested this TR unit is one tough piece of kit.

Discussions of anything about TacticalRifles.net is forbidden on this site due to threat of lawsuit from the company.

This thread is locked so we don't get cross with them.

Please refrain from discussions of this type.