• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing installing ghost ring sights

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
on the front sight on the barrel of a shotgun is the post silver soldered on ? if not what is the correct method ? what about a bead sight ?

Re: installing ghost ring sights

The factory bead is screwed into a small hole. The factory "bead on pedestal" is silver soldered on. The aftermarket ghost ring sights are epoxied on, especially if they have tritium inserts. The heat from silver soldering would ruin the insert. When new, they came with epoxy, otherwise use any good bedding epoxy and put them right over the front sight bead, which helps lock it in place. Use a little 80 grit paper and rough the barrel right under the new sight, gives the epoxy a little more grab.

if i was to go to home depot which epoxy would you reccomend ? gorilla glue ? if i used a bedding would something like bondo work ?

I wouldn't use Gorrila glue or bondo, order some JB Weld from Brownells.

Steel bed works for re-installation of the Scattergun Tech front sights. Years ago they used to supply a roll pin for it as well. Not a bad idea to cross pin it as well. If you need the dimensions and drill location let me know.