• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Installing iron sights on rifle with none?

Heimz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2009
So Cal
I have a penchant for iron sights and blasting targets as far away as I can with 'em. Over the years I have come across some cool rifles that would be really fun to shoot, but Id like to be able to have iron sights on them as well as optics.

Case in point, Im wanting to build up a 10/22 with a 1.0" heavy barrel, but cant find any with front dovetails. Is it expensive to have a gunsmith do this?

Thanks.

Re: Installing iron sights on rifle with none?

I would charge less to install a ramp front and rear sight, cutting dovetails usually cost a little more than drilling and tapping a few holes... if that sounds good to you, don't pay any more than $75 for 4 holes drilled and tapped on a straight taper barrel. Also you can find alot better sights in this style than in a dovetail.

Use a ramp front not a dovetail. Call Brownell's 800-741-0015 get the free catalog....lots of options for you.

Thanks guys, I'll root through the Midway Catalog and check out some sights. Appreciate the input.

Do any of you prefer one brand or style over another?

You will pay more and have a lesser selection from Midway VS Brownells. Also Brownells has free tech support that will save you from making a selection error.