• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Installing Proof Barrel. OK to clamp carbon?

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Just wondering if there is any special way to install the proof barrels.

Looking to get a spare 6.5 tube spun up in the near future for an AIAE but want to understand ahead of time whats involved with install.

My gut is telling me you need to clamp the barrel in the blocks on the exposed metal section at the shank end and not on the carbon wrapping. I would think there would be a possibility that the inner barrel could spin free of the wrapping.

Pics I have seen of the blanks it dosnt look like they give you much room to clamp down on.

What did Proof Research say when you called them to ask about their product?

After dealing with CF on various occasions I can't see where it would be a good idea regardless of what they say...clamping on the steel would be the only logical place to clamp with a CF shroud/band.

What did Proof Research say when you called them to ask about their product?

After dealing with CF on various occasions I can't see where it would be a good idea regardless of what they say...clamping on the steel would be the only logical place to clamp with a CF shroud/band.

Called a few times left msg no follow up, figured there must be one or two of you who have gone down the road before.

I have done a few of these barrels. If you clamp to tightly on the carbon, regardless of what you use, it will leave a mark. Use extreme caution if you don't want to mark the barrel.