• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Instead of painting/coating your rifle... has anyone considered this?

kapp_badbloodz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2014
All over the place
I have been painting stuff for my cars for YEARS! However, several years ago I discovered two completely REVERSIBLE ways to change a color or pattern on a desired object.

PLASTIDIP

Plastidip is neat little spray that allows you to change the color of whatever you want and then when you are tired of it you just peel it off. Yup... just peels right off in one piece. This is awesome in the car world because you can change the color of your entire vehicle. They have spray guns specifically for plastidip but for our applications we could get away with the cans. Here is a link to a reasonable website where they sell the spray kits and the cans. They have ALL colors both camo and vibrant.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/colors.html

The only issue would be solvents and cleaning solutions. If you keep the stuff from leaking all over the place then there shouldnt be a problem.

VINYL

Vinyl wrapping is very popular in almost every industry. Vinyl stickers come in a variety of colors and durability selections. Basically, you can get a large sheet of vinyl and cut it to your length and then attach it to the rifle. You use a heat gun to warp the vinyl to get it into the tight areas. I've seen entire cars wrapped in heavy duty 3M vinyl. It looks really sharp. They have matte, gloss, and even clear vinyl as an overlay. Again... completely reversible and you dont need solvents to remove what paint would leave behind.

Has anyone done this or considered doing any of these? I am definitely going to play with both ideas especially when I change chassis systems.

I've been plastidipping / plastispraying crap laying around for a while now. I've been really pleased with the results and its durability. from tools to hunting gear. really comes in handy when dulling my gear down for duck season. works really well. love to see what it does to guns

Plastidip goes on somewhat thick when compared to paint/duracoat/cerakote. May cause some issues when it comes to tight tolerances, just something to keep in mind.

Plastidip goes on somewhat thick when compared to paint/duracoat/cerakote. May cause some issues when it comes to tight tolerances, just something to keep in mind.

I wouldn't use this on anything other than the chassis and accessories. Maybe as an inlay for flutes or do a small stencil design but other than that I would keep it off anything that has to do with the cycle of operations (trigger, bolt, chamber, etc). Bolt knob and handle would be fine though.

Is this different than hydrograhics?

It is. I dont understand hydro graphics besides that the design is layed in water and you dip it in the water to get the design on.

Plastidip is a spray (just like spray paint) but is like a rubber. After it dries it can be peeled off to restore the object to its original color. So lets say you have a black stock but want a white stock. You take a white plastidip spray can and do 4-6 coats. Let it dry. Bam... white stock. Lets say you want to sell the rifle. You then peel off the plastidip (comes off in large chunks) and its back to a black stock.

Just make sure you do several coats otherwise it wont peel off uniformly.

I have seen the videos of people spraying their import "racer" cars with plastidip.

It seems like a viable product for a car to keep chips from occurring.

I guess my feeling with rifles is that toy products don't belong on rifles.

The product would be horrible on a bolt. I don't know how if would handle the heat of a barrel.

If folks try it, let us see the pictures and know the results

I wonder how it would work on a high end trap gun or similar over the wood. I would assume it would come off without screwing with the finish.

Hunters may like that for protecting pretty guns.