• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Instinct® 2X Solar - Tactical Edition AB Unlock Fee

walkabout

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Devon, England
Does anybody know how much it is to unlock AB on the Instinct® 2X Solar - Tactical Edition watch?
Garmin website says you have to download AB Synapse then unlock AB.
Cheers

Zero mention of cost that I can find. If it is like typical AB licensing to go from AB Ultralite to full it will be in the $300 range.
If you install AB Synapse it will likely reveal the price as an in-app purchase.

I just got the watch and unlocked it. There are two options. Ultralight or Elite. Ultralight is $100 and will only calculate up to 875 yards. Elite upgrade is $300 and will calculate up to 5,500 yards. I think there are other differences but that is the biggest one.

Also you can apparently pair a range finder to the Instinct 2x Solar. Garmin Support.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 7.41.42 PM.png

So you can get an Instinct 2 Tactical and then download AB Synapse (to your phone) and enable AB Ultralite or Elite on your watch? Could you then just use your watch paired to your LRF (and not use your phone at all)? What would you use for environmentals? A Tempe?

So you can get an Instinct 2 Tactical and then download AB Synapse (to your phone) and enable AB Ultralite or Elite on your watch? Could you then just use your watch paired to your LRF (and not use your phone at all)? What would you use for environmentals? A Tempe?
The watch takes some enviromentsls.

The thing that I can’t understand is that the Official Applied Ballistics app costs around 30$ , why the watch AB app cost 300$, why so big of a difference? Can someone explain?

The thing that I can’t understand is that the Official Applied Ballistics app costs around 30$ , why the watch AB app cost 300$, why so big of a difference? Can someone explain?
The same reason the foretrex 401 and 701 cost more than the app. The licensing fees and development for the smaller scale have different costing. It saying it’s right or wrong but it is what it is. Be an informed consumer.

Reactions: CR2 Dude
The nice thing is you end up with a $700 watch with AB instead of the nearly $1500 Tactix Delta

The watch takes some enviromentsls.
I figured it might. The issue with the watch pulling the environmentals is that getting an accurate ambient temp reading from a watch has always involved having to take it off for a while as your body temp skews the reading, at least in my experience.

I figured it might. The issue with the watch pulling the environmentals is that getting an accurate ambient temp reading from a watch has always involved having to take it off for a while as your body temp skews the reading, at least in my experience.
Garmin does have the Tempe for environmentals. And you can put that somewhere on your kit so it doesn’t get skewed by your body temp

Reactions: dgheriani
Garmin does have the Tempe for environmentals. And you can put that somewhere on your kit so it doesn’t get skewed by your body temp
Yeah, that's kinda how I figured you'd get around that. I'm tempted to get the new Instinct solar to try out with AB as I was gonna get it to replace my old (non-solar) Instinct when it dies but it just keeps on trucking, haha. I also need a new GPS nav tool so might get the 901 for that. I'm mostly just curious about using your watch for dope even though I'm not sure it's actually more practical/convenient than just getting dope from my Furys and writing it on my wrist coach (that has backup hard dope) or using my Furys or Kilos paired to my Kestrel. It's a whole lot of AB redundancy, haha.

Yeah, that's kinda how I figured you'd get around that. I'm tempted to get the new Instinct solar to try out with AB as I was gonna get it to replace my old (non-solar) Instinct when it dies but it just keeps on trucking, haha. I also need a new GPS nav tool so might get the 901 for that. I'm mostly just curious about using your watch for dope even though I'm not sure it's actually more practical/convenient than just getting dope from my Furys and writing it on my wrist coach (that has backup hard dope) or using my Furys or Kilos paired to my Kestrel. It's a whole lot of AB redundancy, haha.
Yeah I hear ya. I walking into each match with about 4 ways to produce data

The AB Mobile App does not include the entire CDM Library and the connectivity you get with the watch. The AB Mobile app gives you the G1/G7 library only unless you buy all the CDMs. The Watch gives you another app (Synapse), and the entire CDM library, and more.

The AB Mobile App does not include the entire CDM Library and the connectivity you get with the watch. The AB Mobile app gives you the G1/G7 library only unless you buy all the CDMs. The Watch gives you another app (Synapse), and the entire CDM library, and more.
Welcome back DOC!

Just got the new Instinct 2X Solar in and were doing our product comparison video's, which I'm pretty sure you're seeing. I really think this new device will solve all your problems. With the watch connecting to the Bino's if needed, it having onboard AB, and a pretty kick ass GPS. And then you throw in the kick-ass battery life. you can't go wrong.

Just got the new Instinct 2X Solar in and were doing our product comparison video's, which I'm pretty sure you're seeing. I really think this new device will solve all your problems. With the watch connecting to the Bino's if needed, it having onboard AB, and a pretty kick ass GPS. And then you throw in the kick-ass battery life. you can't go wrong.
Thanks man, was just watching your vid, haha. I'd really like the added battery, my pre-solar Instinct is currently charging, haha.
Quick question but will my binos (Fury ABs) kick the DOF and angle to target to the watch? Was shooting with a buddy of mine the other day and his TerrapinX when linked to his Tactix 7 Pro only sends LOS range, no DOF or angle to target. Garmin told him that's just how it is. The TerrapinX will push DOF and angle to a Kestrel but not the Garmin. I'm not super fussed about DOF but living here in the mountains, angle to target is pretty important.

Reactions: WVshooter
Thanks man, was just watching your vid, haha. I'd really like the added battery, my pre-solar Instinct is currently charging, haha.
Quick question but will my binos (Fury ABs) kick the DOF and angle to target to the watch? Was shooting with a buddy of mine the other day and his TerrapinX when linked to his Tactix 7 Pro only sends LOS range, no DOF or angle to target. Garmin told him that's just how it is. The TerrapinX will push DOF and angle to a Kestrel but not the Garmin. I'm not super fussed about DOF but living here in the mountains, angle to target is pretty important.
Inclination should have absolutely went over. But that depends on what range setting the RF was set to. DOF won’t go over.

I’ll double tap with a friend that programs the AB devices though

Inclination should have absolutely went over. But that depends on what range setting the RF was set to. DOF won’t go over.

I’ll double tap with a friend that programs the AB devices though
Much appreciated, man.

DOF should go over as well as Inclination with the Fury 5000 AB version.

Does anyone know if the Leica 3200.coms can be linked to this (or any other Garmin) watch, or is it only the newer Pro models?

I’m glad to find this post. Just got the Tactix7 Pro and have been playing with it linked to my Terrapin X and noticed nothing but range is being ported over. Seems an odd thing to exclude since the Kestrel gets DOF and Inclination from the Terrapin X.
It probably isn’t a big deal for the most part the way most people are using it but it would be nice to have inclination added in.

I’m glad to find this post. Just got the Tactix7 Pro and have been playing with it linked to my Terrapin X and noticed nothing but range is being ported over. Seems an odd thing to exclude since the Kestrel gets DOF and Inclination from the Terrapin X.
It probably isn’t a big deal for the most part the way most people are using it but it would be nice to have inclination added in.
This is a limitation of the Terrapin X.