• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Instructor Belts for CC

Mjolnir23

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2012
I am interested in getting the one or similar to the belt on CrossBreed's website. Anyone use one of these types of belts for carry? Just curious if anybody has some actual experience with one and if they had any pros/cons over a regular gun belt for carry.

I am starting to think they might not be a good option if I haven't heard anything yet. If anybody has anything please let me know.

Although I don't own a Crossbreed instructor belt, I wonder why you find a good stiff gun belt to be inadequate. I use really stiff horsehide belts and find them to be perfect for my needs. They aren't too thick, and they support the pistol, holster, extra magazine and other stuff I want on my belt just fine.

I make most of my own belts because I found a leather supply store where I occasionally get horsehide that has some untanned raw hide in the center of the leather. This incompletely tanned hide makes the rest of the hide feel as if there is a thin piece of kydex laminated into the leather. It is very stiff, yet thin, and unless I soak it in hot water, it is nearly impossible to cut with a razor knife.
The reason I like these belts is because they support everything without excess bulk. The instructor belt appears to have quite a bit of bulk to it.

Unless there is something your current belt fails to do adequately, why change it? (Don't fix it if it works, comes to mind)

My current belt isn't really adequate because it is not gun belt just a leather one. However my previous belt which I believe to be stolen was. I had the same thoughts about it appearing bulky as well but was curious if anybody had info on it because I never personally knew anyone that has had one. Figured I would consider all my options before getting a new belt. Appreciate the information either way, and I think I will most likely go with what I know works.

The Wilderness, been using their instructor belt for CCW for the past 6 years love it. I've got a nice double leather carry belt that I paid good money for that just sits I the closet now. The wilderness belt is the only way I carry.

The Wilderness belts are the shit. I've been wearing them at work for the last seven years and they never lose their stiffness. The only way I've had them wear out is I had a section of the rough velcro come off from the stitching getting worn out having a duty belt over top of it. Yeah, I can send it in to get it repaired for free, but doing outgoing mail is a bitch here....

That being said, I look to be a bit lower profile when carrying at home so I'm using leather. Crossbreeds is nice, but I'm rather fond of my Saddleback Bullhide belt. Shop Old Bull Belt 1 ½? | Saddleback Leather Co.

I CC with my 'Instructor' belt all the time. Its a Spec Ops Gear. Plus a couple other brands of stiff nylon type belts/ Works fine for me

Thanks for the information gentlemen, I dunno if I a willing to use a riggers belt to carry in civies for fear of looking like a boot. I say that not to discredit the comfort-ability or effectiveness of them but I will always be stationed in places where there are a plethora of Marines around and I don't want to look like one when I am not at work. Hope that makes sense, not trying to be an ass hat but I am not the best at articulating myself via computer either. SniperCJ are you talking about a Riggers style nylon belt or something else? I couldn't really find what you mean or maybe they call it something other than an "instructor" belt.

Last edited:
I have two Tucker Gun Leather belts and they might be the best belt I've ever owned, and I have a lot, by a lot of custom guys

If you are rolling around untucked, look at the ares gear belts. I have never felt a belt as stiff as them. Looks a bit to out of the ordinary if you have a shirt tucked in I think, but can't really be beat. They have a new buckle design coming out this year that's a little less obtrusive than the cobra buckle.

I've been using a Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt since 2008 for carry and competition. Wilderness belts are the bomb. If I have to tuck a shirt in I use a thick leather 1.5" belt that I found at some random clothes store, it's plenty stiff for everything except a desert eagle.

The Saddleback belts Redman mentioned are worth their weight in gold. Best belts I've ever seen, both the Tow Belts and Old bull belts work great as gun belts or just everyday wear.

I have never used the belt mentioned by the OP. But I will agree with others who have said that Wilderness belts rock. I still have the leather BladeTech belt but it just sits in the drawer now. The Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt has become my EDC. It is light, rigid, and doesn't look out of place while in street cloths.

I have the Wilderness Instructor/Frequent Flyer belts. The Instructor belt is the original model, and the Frequent Flyer has a plastic buckle that is lighter, and is less noticeable. The FF belt is excellent, except it still looks slightly tactical. I expect to buy in the future a Comptac leather belt that has kydex reinforcement.

Gun Belts & Apparel - products new home - Kydex Reinforced Contour Belts

Last edited:
You should definitely check out endevour stitchworks. Kary makes great stuff and is awesome to deal with. You won't be disappointed.

To answer the question, and not try to convince you to buy what I have, I like it for IWB, but prefer a leather gunbelt for OWB. Don't really care what it looks like as I wear either square tailed shirts untucked or a light jacket.

I like the wilderness tac frequent flyers belt 5 stitch. holds your rig up and you don't have to take it off at the airport due to the plastic loops!