• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Interesting map of how sheltering is going in various states and counties

Guess this was the company using GPS from cell phones to make this map. Makes you wonder if they are buying that access to your phone GPS or if it's onlu if you agree to their usage of the phone signal/data.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Guess this was the company using GPS from cell phones to make this map. Makes you wonder if they are buying that access to your phone GPS or if it's onlu if you agree to their usage of the phone signal/data.

You basically agreed to sharing that data by using your phone.

It's bad that we tolerated the government collecting and analyzing this data. It's arguably worse that we voluntarily signed up to allow private companies to do the same with virtually no oversight. And it's probably well past the point where there is any practical difference between the two.

My phone doubles as a wireless router for my apartment so when I am going out for short trips to grab groceries I do not even take the phone with me, since I got programs running continuously on the computer. Data from phone location tracking has about a 95% accuracy, and even less if other folks also use their phones as a primary wireless hub for a stationary location.

My phone doubles as a wireless router for my apartment so when I am going out for short trips to grab groceries I do not even take the phone with me, since I got programs running continuously on the computer. Data from phone location tracking has about a 95% accuracy, and even less if other folks also use their phones as a primary wireless hub for a stationary location.

That's ok - if you use a credit card to purchase those groceries, then you've left behind some bread crumbs.

Fact of the matter is that not everyone in a community needs to leave bread crumbs in order to figure out what that community is doing. But that doesn't matter, since 99% of the public is leaving bread crumbs anyways.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
So if I have the GPS turned off then the best they could manage is the whole cell tower triangulation concept right??

That's ok - if you use a credit card to purchase those groceries, then you've left behind some bread crumbs.

Fact of the matter is that not everyone in a community needs to leave bread crumbs in order to figure out what that community is doing. But that doesn't matter, since 99% of the public is leaving bread crumbs anyways.

True dat... Even before the digital age, individuals still left bread crumbs of some sort or another. A dedicated sleuth can track down anyone and map their precise locations if they are willing to devote time and effort into it. Digital bread crumbs are just easier to organize on a LCD screen, thus making it possible to do the same level of work with reduced effort and time.

So if I have the GPS turned off then the best they could manage is the whole cell tower triangulation concept right??

Well, that assumes GPS is actually turned off. If so, yes; cell tower triangulation is the best that can be managed. But if an entity (government or otherwise) is simply looking for quarantine violations, such tracking will probably suffice.

Other than the OS toggle icon, how can you determine that it's not turned off?? I have always made it a point to shut it down unless using Maps or some other app.

Well, that assumes GPS is actually turned off. If so, yes; cell tower triangulation is the best that can be managed. But if an entity (government or otherwise) is simply looking for quarantine violations, such tracking will probably suffice.

Pen register

True dat... Even before the digital age, individuals still left bread crumbs of some sort or another. A dedicated sleuth can track down anyone and map their precise locations if they are willing to devote time and effort into it. Digital bread crumbs are just easier to organize on a LCD screen, thus making it possible to do the same level of work with reduced effort and time.

We're about to get an education in the digital bread crumbs that allow us to cheer when Mr Bad Guy Terrorist gets a Hellfire dropped through his windshield. And they aren't all as simple as GPS location data.

There is a lot that can be determined via non-location-specific metadata. There were plenty of interesting papers written on that topic over the past 15 years.

Other than the OS toggle icon, how can you determine that it's not turned off?? I have always made it a point to shut it down unless using Maps or some other app.
Its always on in the background. Deal with it. It may not be reporting your location constantly, but it will send out pings in accordance with the terms of service you agreed to.

It is what it is.

.gov doesn't even need that much, right? The phone companies all cough up metadata voluntarily.
The phone company's used to. We used it all the time to track burglar crews and build other criminal cases. But now LE needs a "trap and trace warrant" . It's easy to articulate when you jam an arrestee's phone to get the number then get a warrant to get pen register data to see where else they've been in furtherance of a criminal conspiracy investigation.

Now there's even writing of warrants to get actual location data from Google, apple, etc. For criminal investigations, smartphones are a fucking mother lode goldmine. But can be abused, etc.

Looked at the map. On social distancing, they score all of CA, NY, WA with grade 'A'. Wyoming gets an 'F'.

So ... what are they measuring? A-typically, they're not hiding it: For more details on data accuracy please refer to our methodology section.

After testing each metric, we found the change in average distance traveled worked best as a starting point

So if you live in a locale where groceries are right down the block, your trip to the store scores higher than the dumb hick rube that has to drive several miles. Science bitchiz!

But don't worry, they are refining their methods, and will post more bullshit later on.

Looked at the map. On social distancing, they score all of CA, NY, WA with grade 'A'. Wyoming gets an 'F'.

So ... what are they measuring? A-typically, they're not hiding it: For more details on data accuracy please refer to our methodology section.

So if you live in a locale where groceries are right down the block, your trip to the store scores higher than the dumb hick rube that has to drive several miles. Science bitchiz!

But don't worry, they are refining their methods, and will post more bullshit later on.

Yeah see, just this morning wife and I traveled 25 miles, one way, to get some groceries.

That is gonna fuck up your Social Credit Score brother, better move into an urban shithole cramped apartment stat.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Stupid fucking metric. Me driving 30 miles across town, alone, in my Excursion, is an example of appropriate social distancing. Some poor bastard riding 3 miles on the still way overcrowded NYC subway is a two legged petri dish.

Something else to consider is your phone probably records and transmits all the wifi hotspots that it encounters in your trip even if no attempt is made to connect to them.

And since Google built themselves a location database of where a lot of those wifi spots are, well if your wifi is on, there is a pretty good chance it's doing information location off of that database as well (not for your benefit or use of course, only for your overlords).

I'm one of the other 15 in WY

And fuck that article, people in WY travel a lot to get necessary items, or for work like ranching, farming, etc. You know, the shit that helps grow, harvest, and get meat and produce to market.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
Yep, we in the sticks spend about 15-20 minutes to go 10-12 miles while the smart ones in the cities spend all day to do a round trip from Seattle to Tacoma(25miles).
I for one enjoy the pleasure of not seeing their dumb asses on the road

Guys like Thomas Walle are the people that freedom fighters need to target

I'm one of the other 15 in WY

And fuck that article, people in WY travel a lot to get necessary items, or for work like ranching, farming, etc. You know, the shit that helps grow, harvest, and get meat and produce to market.
Yeah, I looked at the counties in WY that get the "F" and they are all along I-80. I figure it is tracking the trucker's cell phones. I-80 is a major trucking corridor connecting the east and west coasts and everything in between. I am in Park County, WY and about every business here is essential, like farming, ranching, energy and we have a "C". I'm calling BS on those statistics...

Reactions: Tchitcherine
My rural county is an F. Guess they are tapping into T Jet field mapping GPS because everybody is spraying nitrogen around here.

My county got a "A" grade - supposedly a 45% reduction in travel. Without running the kids all over the place, I bet my mileage is down at least 90%.

Is that supposed to be a shaming ploy from them? Giving F's to counties still doing the work to keep the country running?

Fuck them with a pineapple. Their website is running from their house because men and women are out there keeping the lights on and HVAC running, keeping people fed, and keeping their backorders of hand sanitizer and shit paper on their way to their front door for them to leave for three days until they think it's safe to bring it in.

Only county to get better than a C in Wyoming was Teton, highly tourist based industry there outside of the ranches where it's calving season anyhow, so no surprise there's a reduction in movement there. Powder River is still at work though, no surprise there either...

We'll rock our "D" from them with pride.

Is that supposed to be a shaming ploy from them? Giving F's to counties still doing the work to keep the country running?

Fuck them with a pineapple. Their website is running from their house because men and women are out there keeping the lights on and HVAC running, keeping people fed, and keeping their backorders of hand sanitizer and shit paper on their way to their front door for them to leave for three days until they think it's safe to bring it in.

Only county to get better than a C in Wyoming was Teton, highly tourist based industry there outside of the ranches where it's calving season anyhow, so no surprise there's a reduction in movement there. Powder River is still at work though, no surprise there either...

We'll rock our "D" from them with pride.

Damn, tell us how you really feel. that would hurt.

So DC received an A-

All the representation decided to be armchair quarterbacks in the comforts of their walled in mansions, and when they left, the lobbyists left. So DC is pretty much empty. .gov skewing the numbers again.

Did anyone else notice that some the places with the best scores have the most cases? My county gets a D- and the one next to us gets an F, but we have no cases, yet.

I'm in a county with an F. No cases yet. Maybe it's an F because you have to travel 30 miles for diesel fuel, food, groceries, etc. Stupid metric developed by someone looking out their studio apartment window at a smaller group than they usually see passing by which is probably more folks than my 50 mile radius. Not every city is the same, not every place is even a city. And yet, they judge.

So DC received an A-

All the representation decided to be armchair quarterbacks in the comforts of their walled in mansions, and when they left, the lobbyists left. So DC is pretty much empty. .gov skewing the numbers again.

I drove from Virginia to Beltsville Md. today and the traffic on I-66/495 was lighter than Ive ever seen it. By at least 60%. The ones that were out there were traveling 80+ mph in 60 mph zones with no cops to be seen. Kind of spooky.

I drove from Virginia to Beltsville Md. today and the traffic on I-66/495 was lighter than Ive ever seen it. By at least 60%. The ones that were out there were traveling 80+ mph in 60 mph zones with no cops to be seen. Kind of spooky.

You ain't kidding. The traffic in the PHL area is all but absent. It makes getting to the outskirts a walk in the park.

It's nice, but I'd rather have congestion and freedom.