• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Intro to pistols, primer??

uncledillers

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2010
The great white north
Hey guys
Iam just starting to look into buying a pistol, but the fact of the matter is I dont know jack about them, other then the browning hi-power I used overseas. It just was never my thing.

So know Iam looking for a resource to take me through the ins and outs not just on actions, but even specific makes and models, pros and cons. What you prefer and why. Figured there would be a sticky at the top of this section but no such luck.

Any links would be appreciated.

Re: Intro to pistols, primer??

You need to be more specific as to what you are using it for, self defense, target practice, 3gun, idpa? Many people either like the poly framed pistols (Glock, Springfield XDs, Smith M&P, etc.) or the steel framed pistols such as the Browning HP or 1911 platforms. Some are still old school and like revolvers. Depends a lot on what the use will be.
I carry Glock 17, compete with G34 in 3gun. Shoot 1911s for IDPA and fun. There isn't anyway to cover all the different platforms and possibilities in one thread. Research what different people are using for what your intentions are and if you can get to the range and rent or shoot someone else pistols then do it until you find what you like best...then after buying one or two or...you'll probably find a different platform that you can't live without and start all over.

First - do a google search for USPSA and IDPA matches in your area. Go to the matches and find out what people are shooting and why (you'll probably get a different opinion form each shooter but its a start).
Second - check out the gun stores in your area that have an indoor range. They may have a gun rental program, try before you buy. This can cost a few bucks but can save hundreds if you choose the wrong piece.

Let us know how it goes.

Were you not in the GWN, I'd suggest checking out the NRA's introductory courses. As far as figuring out the specifics of purchase, time in hand on the range is the best measure. Look up SeanTheNailer on here, he might have some better information specific to our our northern neighbor.