• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Intro to precision rifle. One on one classes in NE Texas. You pick the date.

Garvey

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Melissa, Texas
I have spent several years learning the science of precision rifle. Predator hunting gave me the desire to learn how to make solid hits as far as I could see a coyote. As many know, it is a long journey to put all the parts and pieces together. The rifle, the ammo tuned to the rifle, hand-loading, proper optics, making ballistic calculators work for you, driving the rifle, judging wind (I'm forever a student of wind), taking notes, applying what you learned, and learning from your successes as well as your mistakes. I'm no Jacob Bynum or "Lowlight" (I can learn volumes from them) I have never been a Sniper, and probably never will be. I am a hunter turned student of long range, turned competitive Tactical/ Practical rifleman. I have purchased land in Wolfe City, Texas to train. Specifically for myself, experienced riflemen, and those wanting to learn. I have 800 yards to use, on 70 acres, with steel targets from 200 yards to 800 yards. It's pretty much a "square" range, but it's what I can safely use with the land I have. I have a land payment, and am not trying to get rich making money from the range, just cover some expenses. I know how difficult, and expensive, it was for me to teach myself, so I am offering an opportunity for those wanting to learn to come out, and have a calm and relaxed experience. Through some research I am significantly less expensive than other facilities in my state. They may be better, or they may not teach any more than I do, but they typically have several students in one class. I'm providing one-on-one lessons tailored to the individual.

If you are a hunter that wants to improve, Great! We can build on that. If you are a guy that wants to start shooting in competition, Great! We can get you preparred. Maybe you want to build a rifle/ scope combo, but don't know where to start, or what you want. I'll have a rifle to rent for the day. It will be wearing one of my Mil/ Mil FFP scopes, and will be shooting my hand-loads.

The class is $400 for a full day. That typically takes 5 to 8 hours.

PM, call, or e-mail.

Home

P.S.

Anyone that is thinking they want to start shooting tactical style precision matches, but don't know what to expect, I would be happy to build a day to better prepare you for your first match. I can recreate difficult stages that I have shot over the years.

Last edited:
Anyone that is thinking they want to start shooting tactical style matches, but don't know what to expect, I will be happy to build a day recreating stages I have shot over the years. I encountered many stages that I was not prepared for. It is a sickening feeling being unprepared while in the heat of competition.

What would a day class like this cost, I'm still on the fence about actual competition matches right now.

I spent the day with Jason getting some instruction. I have always felt that individual instruction from a qualified person was more productive then group lessons. I don't have anything against group instruction, just having the class revolve around my specific instructional needs accomplishes more. Jason's shooting and teaching experience was very evident as was his time spent training and competing in the tactical competitions. We were able to make progress against several issues I was having both with several shooting techniques and wind reads. I would go back again. His facility was set up so that instruction in many different area's could be accomplished.

This is on my list as soon as I recover from a recent surgery. New to long range and dont want to begin w bad habits.

17' x 8' covered platform is done. We shoot off the ground away from the fire ants and no dirt and fauna getting kicked up from muzzle brakes. An all steel roof that is insulated keeps the Texas sun off of us. Don't miss the nice weather to come shoot in!

I have taking this class and enjoyed it. Mr. Garvey knows his stuff. I had been doing this on my own for alittle over a year so I knew most of the basics. He was able to help me in a several key areas. He took the time to work with me on two different rifles. I would recommend this class to anyone just getting started or needing help with specific areas. The one on one instruction is the way to go in my opinion. For the person just beginning or the person wanting to work on specific things as I did.

Thank you for the feedback. It was a pleasure shooting with you!

As a teacher I enjoy seeing guys leave shooting better than they did when they arrived.

How many rds per full day is needed?

100 is absolute minimum. More is better.

If we go into a second day and work on positional 100 might not get it done since the difficulty level is higher. More up to the shooter as to how many rounds are needed. Some guys need to stop and ask questions more than others, some guys get mentally and physically fatigued faster than others.

I have already loaded 200 rd for 30-06 but it is my hunting rifle.

This the target of my hunting rifle:

I would like to build my 200 rds for 300 WM which is my LR target rifle.

It's target:

Last edited: