• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Intro to PRS build help.

Billbillington

Private
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
I’m looking to build a introductory PRS rifle and need some recommendations. I have a KRG bravo, atlas bipod, vortex viper pst 5-25 and rings. My original plan was to drop a tikka CTR in a bravo and call it good, but they are sold out everywhere and I’ve already been waiting a while (long story short riflegear.com sent me the wrong rifle). So I’m going to go r700 now in 6.5 creedmoore.

My budget is about 1700 for action, barrel, and trigger. open to suggestions. Also what are the positives and negatives to buying a barreled action compared to an action and a prefit barrel? Is it more difficult to replace a barrel on a barreled action? I will have a gunsmith replace barrels regardless because I don’t have a vice. Any words of wisdom and recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks.

A 700 build would be fine (I'd look at NSS). But I'll just throw out that for about $1500 you could get a used Tikka Tac A1 and end up in about the same spot, they pop up in the classifieds here fairly frequently. The action and barrel are identical to the CTR, but the trigger is a two stage.

Reactions: Newbie2020
Bighorn origin (zermatt arms)
Origin prefit from any number of smiths
Triggertech special

Will be right about 1700
My set up exactly! Waiting for the barreled action from PVA. I think the price is 1495$, plus a hundo for the brake. I have the TT special, MPA competition and Brownells MPO waiting. PVA uses Rock Creek blanks, one of the great Wisconsin barrel makers.

Reactions: Olen_4504
I don't think that your existing Bravo for a Tikka will fit a 700 will it? Aren't they different patterns?

Click on Gunsmithing services at the top and scroll down to the barreled actions. You can get a Bighorn Origin with a button rifled barrel threaded fir $1270. Add a brake, trigger, and drop into your Remington clone stock and you are done.

Reactions: Eric_F
Bighorn origin (zermatt arms)
Origin prefit from any number of smiths
Triggertech special

Will be right about 1700

BINGO!!! $825 for Origin, $500-600 for barrel depending and $175 on trigger. If you can shop in the for sale section you can save some more on trigger. That set up will not only give you a better rifle but allow for ease of caliber/barrel changes down the road. Also with the Origin you can change bolt faces easily and make the rifle a .223 or up to a short mag down the road.

@bohem Josh at PVA has prefits. He did two for my TL3 that are very accurate.
https://patriotvalleyarms.com/prefit-barrels/

Reactions: bohem
I don't know what their timeline is (right now they are saying February) but the Ultimatum Defacto might be worth looking into. It is a Tikka foot print but uses the Remington triggers. The barreled action is 1000 leaving plenty of room to buy a trigger with some money left over for some extra goodies.
They have been delayed a couple of times, but it might be worth giving them a call.
https://www.ultimatumprecision.com/...ion-w-triggertech-trigger-pre-sale-50-deposit

I don't know what their timeline is (right now they are saying February) but the Ultimatum Defacto might be worth looking into. It is a Tikka foot print but uses the Remington triggers. The barreled action is 1000 leaving plenty of room to buy a trigger with some money left over for some extra goodies.
They have been delayed a couple of times, but it might be worth giving them a call.
https://www.ultimatumprecision.com/...ion-w-triggertech-trigger-pre-sale-50-deposit
I’ve been following that for a few months even before I ordered the tikka and the delays are concerning. I feel like they are just kicking the can down the road.