• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem700 PRS Build

lbrtyman55

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2023
Arizona
Hello Everyone,

Looking to build a prs rifle capable of 1500 yards just for some fun at the range. I'm set on a Rem 700 in .308 because of the aftermarket options and I have 2 currently. My dilemma is... Do I get the Police model with the 24in heavy barrel with comes in around $1300 or get a cheap R700 ADL around $600 and replace the barrel with an aftermarket. I've heard issues about new Remington quality which makes me consider an aftermarket barrel. I do not wan to spend more than $1300 total for just the rifle. I'm just not sure how much it usually costs with purchase and install.
Would love to hear all barrel recommendations!

P.S. Would also love some optic suggestions under $1200

[Edit] on second hand after some more research I’m finding that the Bergara is the way to go?

Thank You!

Last edited:
If you plan on competing in PRS at all, I suggest skipping the Rem 700 and go right for a Zermatt Origin or American Rifle Co. CDG action. Then get a prefit (shouldered or nut style like SPR bugnut) and go shoot. If you get serious about PRS, the 308 sucks. You will eventually want some flavor of 6mm or 6.5mm. Bergara HMR Pro is a good way to go if your budget doesn't allow for much more, but if you can squeeze more, go for an Origin or CDG.

I'm giving this advice as someone who tried the whole Rem 700 route, initially. I ended up spending more on that 700 action than what a Origin costs. So I'm just trying to give you advice from someone who has been down that road. Skip the Rem 700.

For PRS, I run a Origin and Southern Precision Rifles bugnut prefits. There are many ways to skin this cat, that's just the route I chose and I have no regrets. My girlfriend has a Bergara HMR Pro and it does well, however the barrel profile (even the heavy barrel version of 6.5 creedmoor from Bergara) is still a bit light for proper balancing in a chassis.

Reactions: camocorvette
To answer your question directly, go with the ADL and replace the barrel.

However, if I were you, I'd buy a Zermatt Origin action and fit it will a Proof pre-fit barrel. The action is going to be superior to a non-blueprinted R700 and it will accept pre-fit barrels. Which means you'll save time and money down the road when it comes to rebarrels. Altus is sold out of 308s right now, but sells them for $1,479. https://www.altusshooting.com/products/zermatt-arms-origin-proof-research-ss-barreled-action

Vortex Viper Gen2 is the best bang for the buck.

Reactions: godofthunder
@lbrtyman55 - what do you mean by this: "I'm set on a Rem 700 in .308 because of the aftermarket options and I have 2 currently."

If you're just interested in having fun but want something at least capable of PRS - or you'd just like to try - then yes, .308 will suffice. But as Stevieb said, 30 is a tough caliber for PRS if you get into it. Definitely will want to get into the 6mm world (which is a benefit to being able to use prefits.

Reactions: boatbum101
An Origin or CDG would be my top recommendations as well; I have an Origin. Don’t overlook the PVA pricing on Solus barreled actions though; it’s a R700 footprint, but has a 60 degree bolt throw. It’s new, so I’m not aware of anyone using it for PRS yet, but I bet there will be a few next season. I know, with a trigger and chassis, you’ll have more into it that $1300, but you’ll have a better rifle.

As far as optics go in the $1200 range, look at Athlon Cronus BTR or Burris XTR III.

An Origin or CDG would be my top recommendations as well; I have an Origin. Don’t overlook the PVA pricing on Solus barreled actions though; it’s a R700 footprint, but has a 60 degree bolt throw. It’s new, so I’m not aware of anyone using it for PRS yet, but I bet there will be a few next season. I know, with a trigger and chassis, you’ll have more into it that $1300, but you’ll have a better rifle.

As far as optics go in the $1200 range, look at Athlon Cronus BTR or Burris XTR III.
At the last match a guy had a solus there and I felt it for a bit, its pretty nice, slick and snappy bolt close. Lift wasnt egregious like I had suspected.
If the PVA offered them with their straight or heavy mtu contour I would have ordered one for myself and sold off a factory 700 tomake space in the safe.
If you are cool with proof comp contour as the heaviest its a solid buy. Its nicer than my factory and blueprinted rem700s that I have sunk just as much into in some cases.
With a nice trigger and a stock its going to be more than 1300 OP.

If you act fast you can get a factory solus rifle that has a trigger and chassis included with the barreled action but act fast, black friday pricing likely wont last. Id go the 6.5 creed model myself but if you want 308 its there to be had

Last edited:
If you act fast you can get a factory solus rifle that has a trigger and chassis included with the barreled action but act fast, black friday pricing likely wont last. Id go the 6.5 creed model myself but if you want 308 its there to be had

Thanks, good to know it’s a decent action! I wonder who is making Aero’s barrels?

Op, definitely go with 6.5 over 308.