• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Introducing: ATPIAL-C (AN/PEQ-15) Civilian Legal Laser System

clasky

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2010
USA
The wait is over.

The journey home from the battlefield is a long one. The AN/PEQ-15 (ATPIAL) from Insight Technology, has been faithfully serving U.S. Warfighters as the standard issue aiming laser throughout the Global War on Terror. Seen on almost every U.S. weapon fielded since the mid 2000’s, the ATPIAL has been highly coveted by the commercial market, yet always out of reach due to government restrictions on high power infrared lasers... Until now.

ATPIAL_C_ad2_zpsad5a5b5f.jpg

Introducing the ATPIAL-C. Forged for the Warrior, Honed in the Crucible of Combat, and Proven by Heroes, the legendary AN/PEQ-15 is now available in a civilian-legal package as the ATPIAL-C.

Some history how it came to be. At the 2014 SHOT Show TNVC was approached by Insight to discuss the viability of this product in the commercial market. Both TNVC and L-3/Insight believed it would be very well received by individual civilian and law enforcement personnel. We were asked to be the exclusive launch vehicle for the ATPIAL-C and jumped at the opportunity. Presently, TNVC is the only place to get these! After all these years in combat, TNVC is extremely excited to bring the ATPIAL-C home.

ATPIAL_C_ad1_zpsae4239bc.jpg

The unique aspect of the ATPIAL-C is it’s pulled right off the same military production line as its full power cousin, but with a civilian legal Class1 Infrared Laser Pointer and Illuminator. Other than the power rating, there is no difference between the ATPIAL-C and the ATPIAL.

The ATPIAL-C (Advanced Target Pointer/Illuminator Aiming Laser – Commercial) is a multi-function Class1/IIIR Infrared/Visible laser from L-3/Insight Technology. It features an Infrared Laser Pointer (0.7 mW Class1), Visible Laser Pointer (4.6 mW Class 3R Red), and Infrared Laser Illuminator (3 mW Class 3R). Based on the standard issue AN/PEQ-15 (Class IIIb) for the U.S. Warfighter, the ATPIAL-C’s Class1/3R power makes it completely eye-safe and available to the general public. Class1 Infrared Laser Pointer feature a 0.7mW rating which is not restricted by the FDA. They will easily reach out to 450 yards, encompassing most target engagement ranges when paired with a night vision goggle for the civilian and law enforcement professional. Considering that Gen3 Night Vision Goggles have a maximum target identification range of 100-115 yards, the 450 yard range of the ATPIAL-C is perfect.

ATPIAL_C_af_zps8f9cac1b.jpg

The Visible and Infrared Laser Pointers are slaved so that zeroing one will zero the other in tandem. The Infrared Laser Illuminator is a true laser illuminator system, producing no bright downrange visible signature as seen in infrared LED’s. In order to stay within Class1 guidelines, the Illuminator is lower power, able to reach 150 yards and is non-adjustable. This is perfect for short to medium range engagements. Like the full power ATPIAL, the ATPIAL-C’s Infrared Illuminator can be used to wash out the bloom of the Infrared Laser Pointer at engagement distances.

TNVCsl_2371_zps90580676.jpg

The ATPIAL-C is a low profile laser system that mounts to any standard M1913 Picatinny Rail. Its design allows it to sit lower on the rail than most other lasers, creating a “saddle bag” affect, so as not to impede the shooter’s sight picture when mounted at the 12 o’clock position. Its glass-reinforced high-strength polymer body housing is very robust and impact resistant. The unit features a simple dial selector for changing the output settings on top of the housing. Activation is achieved via the included remote pressure pad or onboard “fire” button. A rear-facing battery compartment makes changing batteries simple and convenient, even when the unit is pushed all the way forward against a standard AR Front Sight Base (by the way: you should never store your expensive night vision and lasers with the batteries installed). Windage and elevation adjustments require a small flat head screw driver and produce positive clicks.

The ATPIAL-C is the closest thing an individual can get to the standard issue full power ATPIAL.

ATPIAL_C_tr_zpsc3873dfe.jpg

ATPIAL_C_lb_zpsc22b0a19.jpg

We are currently accepting pre-orders. L-3 will be delivering the first units to our warehouse mid to late November with the next shipment in mid to late December. Shipping will be first come, first served. Pre Orders must be paid in full.

Place your Pre Order before September 15 and get it for only $1,199.00. That’s a $100 savings! After that, the price is $1,299

Get Your ATPIAL-C HERE!!!

Manufacturer:
L3/ Insight Technology
Dimensions:
4.6″(L) x 2.8″(W) x 1.6″(H)
Weight:
7.5 oz. w/ Battery
Power:
One (1) 3V DL123A Battery
Battery Life:
>6 Hours in Dual High
Waterproof:
6 Meters for One Hour
Warranty:
1 Year Warranty
Infrared Laser Spec:
—————————————————-
IR Laser Class:
Class1
IR Laser Output:
0.7 mW
IR Laser Divergence:
0.5 mRad
IR Laser Wavelength:
820nm – 850nm
IR Laser Range:
>450 Yards
Visible Laser Spec:
—————————————————-
Visible Laser Class:
IIIR Red
Visible Laser Output:
4.6 mW
Visible Laser Divergence:
0.5 mRad
Visible Laser Wavelength:
605nm – 665nm
Visible Laser Range:
>25 Meters in Direct Sun
IR Illuminator Specs:
—————————————————-
IR Illuminator Class:
IIIR Infrared
IR Illuminator Output:
3 mW
IR Illuminator Divergence:
105 mRad
IR Illuminator Wavelength:
820nm – 850nm
IR Illuminator Range:
>150 Yards

These are the independent testing results, performed by TNVC. The purpose of this testing was to weigh the performance of the ATPIAL C in real life conditions.
For the outdoor phases of this testing, the conditions were half-moon, clear skies, visible stars, and visible city lights (on the horizon) approximately ½ mile away. The furthest treeline in this image, is approximately 350 yards away, to give you some depth awareness.

OUTDOOR TESTING

*All photos posted below are of the ATPIAL C performing.

TTT_Outdoor_LaserIR_zpsbed77e5e.jpg

TTT_Outdoor_DualIR_zps2cf2a0e8.jpg

I know the question is going to be asked, “Is the IR illuminator visible?” The answer is, it’s just as visible on the ATPIAL C as it is on the PEQ-15. People talk about how the IR illuminators on the PEQ-15 aren’t visible. Well, I understand what they mean, however, they do put off a very faint visible red hue from the emitter itself. It’s hard to see, unless you are standing DIRECTLY in front of the unit, looking DIRECTLY into the emitter, which I DO NOT RECOMMEND. The faint red dot is hard to see and this is primarily because the emitter is recessed into the housing. The photos below, were taken with my iPhone 5, at a distance of 25 yards directly in front of the PEQ-15 and the ATPIAL C with their respective illuminators on.

The top photo is the PEQ-15. Bottom photo is the ATPIAL C. Notice the faint red glow in both photos? Again this is extremely hard to see, and you have to be directly in front of the emitter. Slightly angled to the left, right, above or below, and you won’t be able to see this. I also noticed that I could never really get myself aligned to see the illuminator emission point at a distance beyond about 40 yards, and up until that point, it was extremely hard to see.
atpialillum25yds_zpsfc1472d3.jpg
peqillum25yds_zps84771e45.jpg

INDOOR TESTING

All of these photos on the indoor test, were taken on the live fire range at Telluric Group’s training facility. This facility is optimized for low light/ no light training and the lighting can be controlled very precisely. The conditions in these photos are – no lights on whatsoever. The only visible light was the glow in the dark tape on the ranges light switch module, and the LED on the coffee machine in the classroom outside of the range, approximately 50 feet away, and on the other side of the bullet proof observation windows looking into the range. It was “can’t see my hand in front of my face” dark.
TTT_Indoor_LaserIR_zps89a76c59.jpg

Significant amount of bloom. No more than what is standard in commercial .7 mW laser units.

TTT_Indoor_DualIR_zpsee0c457d.jpg

The illuminator did cut down the bloom on the IR laser, however, in the photos, it looks a lot more “bloomy” than it did in real life, due to the camera interpreting the light. I took several photos and couldn’t capture the true cancellation of the laser bloom with the illuminator being used.

TTT_Indoor_IlluminatorIR_zps741908a7.jpg

TTT_Indoor_NDFLaserIR_zps39361502.jpg

The built in neutral density filters into the laser covers work exactly as they are intended. Cut the bloom and give a very precise dot. Initially I had concerns that given the fact that these lasers were .7mW and not the 50mW as their restricted counterparts, I thought that the neutral density filters would cut too much of the power of the .7mW laser. I was wrong. They work perfectly.

Lets take a closer look at the unit itself.
sidebyside_zps13b6a6ce.jpg
frontprofile_zps72cce112.jpg

Aesthetically, you cannot tell the two apart. This is because the same internal parts, and the same exact body housings are being used for the ATPIAL C as they are on the PEQ-15. No cheap, knock off internals or sketchy mounts on this system. The ATPIAL C and the PEQ-15 are exactly the same right down to the stickers, except for the mW of the lasers being specified and the ability to adjust the IR illuminator spread.

25yrdsdual_zps7a923a98.png

Seeing as how the illuminator’s focus knob is locked and can’t be adjusted, we took some basic measurements of the IR illuminator in use. In this photo above, the red dashed circle is surrounding the immediate IR illuminator spread. The target, is a standard size IPSC target which is 18 inches wide. The illuminator spread is roughly 5.5 IPSC targets wide, which is approximately 8.25 feet. So at 25 yards, you have an illuminator spread of roughly 8.25 feet. With that knowledge, I think it’s safe to assume that at 50 yards, the spread will be approximately 16.5 feet, 75 yards – 24.75 feet, and so on. In my opinion, I think that is absolutely perfect for what is needed in short to medium ranges, which is truly what commercial IR laser units are designed for.

illum100_zps84b4ea19.png

In this photo above, the red circles denote the 125 yard area where the IR illuminator is visibly lighting/illuminating. We feel that with these specific light conditions, 125 yards is going to be the max distance you can illuminate a darkened area and identify something. We also feel that 125-150 yards is the max usable distance in the darkest of outdoor conditions, for this IR illuminator. In essence, if a bad guy were hiding in that photo at 125 yards, I could have illuminated him, and determined him friend or foe.

In summary, during these several months of extensive testing and evaluating the ATPIAL C, we have concluded several things.
-The ATPIAL C performs EXACTLY the same as a PEQ-15 on low power setting.
-Given the fact that the majority of Law Enforcement agencies use their PEQ-15’s on the low power setting due to bloom issues, the ATPIAL C is a great alternative for the commercial user, especially those that have transitioned out of active duty, where they were issued PEQ-15’s.
-The IR illuminator has a maximum range of 150 yards in the darkest conditions.
-Though the IR illuminator doesn’t have an adjustable beam, we think it’s actually perfect for being utilized in short to medium distances. Given the fact that positive ID through a PVS-14 or dual tube system is roughly 150 meters, the IR illuminator on the ATPIAL C fills that role quite nicely.

[h=3]L3/ Insight ATPIAL-C Class1/3R IR Laser[/h]

If you guys have any further questions, ask away and we will do our best to answer. We spent a significant amount of time with these units, and they certainly get our stamp of approval. This has been a long time coming, and we are glad we are finally able to bring this to light.

Are they serviceable by the factory if something were to break/get dropped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are they serviceable by the factory if something were to break/get dropped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You bet which is the really beauty of owning a legit ATPIAL. They don't become an expensive paperweight if something goes wrong. :)

Vic

Edit, FULL 1 year factory warranty

Last edited:
How is the "illumanators focus knob" locked and why??? Can it be unlocked? Everything else sounded great but that .

The illuminator is staked and will break the unit and void the warranty if manipulated. The beam dispersion is maintained for Class 1 conformance.

Vic

i'm a little challenged here, so how does this L3 unit compare to the LDI DBAL-D2 and DBAL-I2, which TNVC also sells?

Seems like the LDI units have similar funtionality and pricing to te L3 unit, no?

i'm a little challenged here, so how does this L3 unit compare to the LDI DBAL-D2 and DBAL-I2, which TNVC also sells?

Seems like the LDI units have similar funtionality and pricing to te L3 unit, no?

The DBAL-I2 is a relatively obsolete IR/vis laser compared to the DBAL-D2 and and this civilian PEQ-15. The DBAL-I2's lasers are not slaved, making it a little more work to zero. This is where the D2 and PEQ-15 start to take the lead. These newer units take it another step forward with the built in IR illuminator. The IR illuminator on the D2 has better range than that of the L3 unit. More stuff, less space. Also, the new civilian PEQ-15 bumps you up a few notches at the public range! :)

L3 PEQ-15:
-Slaved vis/IR lasers
-IR Illuminator
-Plastic housing

LDI DBAL-D2:
-Slaved vis/IR lasers
-(Pretty powerful)IR Illuminator
-Aluminum housing
*Just a gripe: The position of the battery cap on the LDI units sucks if you have a front sight post to deal with.

Last edited:
To add a bit more....DBAL-D2 has a IR LED illuminator like all others, they have a visible red glow seen at longer distances vs. the IR laser illuminator of the ATPIAL-C we depicted above with a pretty low glow only within 40 yards.

Vic

This is an interesting read. I have long considered something of this nature to help round out the "Get it before they ban it" collection. I have no experience with such eqpt. so my question(s) would be......is this something for a new guy like me? I have a rifle that will certainly work with it, and will I need some sort of NV goggles to properly use this? It seems like an advanced unit, are there other options I should consider? (Or learn to use it? Buy once, cry once?)
Thanks for any help in this regard.

Doug

This is an interesting read. I have long considered something of this nature to help round out the "Get it before they ban it" collection. I have no experience with such eqpt. so my question(s) would be......is this something for a new guy like me? I have a rifle that will certainly work with it, and will I need some sort of NV goggles to properly use this? It seems like an advanced unit, are there other options I should consider? (Or learn to use it? Buy once, cry once?)

Doug

Without some sort of night vision goggle, it would be a little difficult to justify (you'd still have a badass visible laser :) ). As far as "getting it before they ban it", I consider all my night vision stuff and guns as investments. It wouldn't take much to stir up a fear storm about all us crazy gun nuts and our night vision sniper assault scope goggles.

Doug

I would suggest worrying about investing in a good set of goggles or monocular (at least gen 2) before thinking about dropping money on an ir laser.

Yup yup yup. I sent out some PM's to members and it seems that just might be the first step. Any members care to offer some personal testimony as to what may be a good investment and prices/availability? Looks like deep rabbit hole. Thank you.

Doug

Doug, to answer you questions, yes this would be great device to start with! To make the most of it you should also get a Team Wendy Exfil helmet with Norotos AKA2 mount and a TNV14 gen 3 monocular. The CDI points will be off the charts and you will be able to handle two legged and four legged critters from room distance to about 150yrds. You need this....do it! Merica! Happy hunting!