• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Introduction and Needing Build Ideas?

L_Kilkenny

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2009
First post here and in advance I offer a big thanks. I've been a shooter/hunter for the better part of 3 decades, mostly predators and WT deer. Years ago I got a the idea that LR shooting would be fun but to be honest it never really went any farther than that. About as far as it got was the occasional pot shot at a 400-500 yard fox or coyote and the purchase of a few cheapish goodies. Some hits, but more misses. Enough for the BS.

I've homebrewed 10/22's and Savage centerfires but always in a sporter configuration. And right now my current project is an old Glenfield .22 bolt gun that I pulled from the dark recess of the locker.
DSCN0860.jpg

I've taken it about as far as I can cheaply/easily go, done some LR tinkering with it and am at a cross roads. I'm just not sure whether it will get me what and I want in the end if I go farther with this particular piece. So I'm looking for .22lr build ideas for either this gun or another 10/22 build. Want to stay with a traditional type stock but other than that I open to ideas. While I say it's all about function I'd be lying if I said "that look" wasn't important.

Ideas and pics would be great……

LK

BTW, the particular scope, rings and bipod were for pics only. It now wears a low set Simmons 3-9x AO and a Harris S25 bipod.

Re: Introduction and Needing Build Ideas?

I was going to say "Welcome to the 'Hide!" but it looks like you've been around for a good while already and just haven't been posting at all!
grin.gif

Anyways, I have to ask what you're expecting from the rifle? If it hasn't been properly bedded, then that would be my very first suggestion (after proper ammo) as I've never heard of a rifle that did not benefit somewhat from a (proper) bedding job.

Some other "small" operations you could do/have done would be to have it re-crowned if it is at all damaged. You could also have the barrel set back and re-chambered with a match reamer. Or if you really want to get radical you can have an entirely new barrel mated up to the receiver. Unfortunately a new barrel is probably going to run you a good chunk of money unless you have the tools and know-how to do the work yourself.

But before any of that I would look into spending some money on good ammo. Some guys expect to shoot crappy (extremely cheap) ammo through their rifles and get Olympic level accuracy, and from all the claims of this on the internet you would think that there's no point spending good money on high end ammo... but I would highly recommend trying SEVERAL different types of MATCH ammo before putting the rifle 'under the knife' so to speak.

I'm sorry if any of this is redundant to you but I have no clue what you do/don't know about rimfire rifles...

So, here's my best recommendation:

Try some match ammo at whatever price point you're comfortable spending and below. Just testing ammo types will get expensive so most people will order 2-4 boxes at a time (usually the first batch is whatever the local Walmart carries) and then start ordering more and more expensive ammo as they get deeper and deeper into testing. If you find one that does what you want it to do (most people like Wolf Match Target or SK Jagd. which are the same ammo in different boxes) then you could stop right there and shoot it as-is.

Or if you feel greedy (like most of us) and want more accuracy, you can turn to the 'smithing procedures I mentioned earlier in an attempt to tighten up those groups. First on my list would be a proper target crown. Then I would have it set back and re-chambered with a match reamer if necessary.

If you don't feel like dumping all that money into this rifle though, you need to look elsewhere obviously. I personally can't stand 10/22's for anything besides plinking in it's simplest form because I don't feel like most of them are worth the money people dump into them... but everyone has their own opinions. I'm a bolt gun guy anyways but I digress.

I would advise a Savage MkII bolt gun over a 10/22 any day unless you're dead set on a semi-auto. But I would say a Savage MkII-BV would nicely fit your expectations. Inexpensive, reputation for accuracy, traditionally styled laminate stock, heavy barrel, and a GREAT factory trigger. Plus some decent aftermarket support. Otherwise, CZ-452, 453, and 455's are all VERY nice rifles for a bit more money. Closer to a traditional hunting rifle, and a much better action that more resembles most modern centerfire actions. The only thing I would do to a CZ is to work the trigger over but it's as simple as a simple inexpensive kit and a little bit of your time. Plus, they are such a popular rifle with such an incredibly strong following that even if you find you don't like it, you can always expect to be able to resell it for close to what you paid for it. CZ vs Savage... the great debate
wink.gif

I hope this helps you out some with your decision!

My best,
-Dylan

putting a DIP base on the one pictured will help out on the longer range stuff, plus it incorporates "the look"

different set of rings, looks like a 40 mm obj BSA. if you get the base, low height should do it.

follow it up with a rifle basix trigger, or do the bic pen spring deal MARLIN 882 / 925 / 25 ETC. TRIGGER MOD. / JOB

there's some on the cheap stuff here, including the addition of an oversized bolt knob:LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER - start to "finish"

i'm on the fence too on a new rifle for 2012: dreaming of a CZ 455 varmint, but may actually go with the marlin XT22VR for economical reasons.

there's an excellent post on the first or second page here incorporating an airsoft AICS stock and a marlin 880, and for low $. for how good the new marlin stock feels as compared to savage tupperware stocks, i'm going to go the airsoft stock way on the marlin - if i finally get it.....$179.00 through Dick's sporting goods special order. for a low dollar build, i'd think the marlin XT22VR is currently the best bang for the buck, and about 90% sure it will out perform my MKIIBV. if you are into looking for a stock, the airsoft AICS build may be the way, possibly even a tacticool with minor fitting to the older receiver.

nothing wrong with the glenfield, it actually looks pretty sleek with just the paint job. you can't really appreciate the shape of it unti you see it painted like yours is. +1 on what TERROR said concerning ammo, you may be pleasantly surprised how that glenfield will print on paper with the ammo that it likes. if anything, try stuff with the glenfield, then transfer that later to your new project onced you've proved it out on the glenfield.

also, welcome to the hide.

Thanks for the replies and no worries on the redundancies. You don't know me from Adam.

So far on the Glenfield 25 I've cut and crowned the barrel (now 18"), paint obviously, replaced the trigger spring, tried some impromptu bedding and currently have a pressure pad under the barrel about an inch back from the tip of the forend. Gone thru 3 types of hunting grade ammo, one sub sonic, it's what I had on hand. I have both Wolf MT and CCI standard on the list to buy at the next gun show. So far best I can do is around 3/4" at 50 with it, usually a little wider. Bedding is on the to do list if it shows more promise with better ammo but to be honest, while I've seen improvements with bedding, nothing that will turn a turd into a jem so I kinda hold that till last so I have an idea what I'm playing with. Personally I don't know if the quality of this gun and its barrel is worth going much further. They may be MOA guns or better or it may be close to its best the way it sits. I just don't know.

I hear ya on the 10/22 but they're what I know. I've already built a MOA sporter and have been tinkering with em for 25 years.
DSCN0756.jpg

The Savage's are a possibility and more than likely a smart move. But then again, if I did the smart thing with guns I'd have a few of stockers around and dance with who brung me. Plus unlike you I don't like the accutrigger. It's a personal thing.

PT, you're right on the one color paint on the 25. I've always been more of a one color guy and it looks much better than the safety orange it wore before.
shocked.gif
Also, good call on the BSA. It sat atop my .22-250 for 6 or 8 years and never let me down but to be honest it was set it and forget it. Never used the target knobs or the AO for that matter. It's also not on the gun anymore. Always wanted to try the el'cheapo Simmons 3-9x AO's so I bought one and put it on. Frankly, it's proving to be a surprise.

Again, thanks for the replies and links, shoot straight, LK

here's a little thing i did with my brother in law's model 25 vs. savage sporter barreled mkii's. although i didn't put it against my savage BV (heavy barrel) the groups the model 25 produced were just below the size my BV puts out. this is my foundation for thinking that the new marlins with the heavy barrel (XT22vr) just may be the better shooting rifle:
Savage MKII F/G vs. Marlin 25/925 sporter barrel showdown Parts 1, 2, and 3

his rifle wasn't worked at all. so in the end, grandpa's ol' squirrel getter may have alot of goodie in it after all.

now if you have the $ to get a CZ, i'd think that would be the way to go, particularly the 455 as it has the option of switching out barrels, and there's no doubt in my mind several barrel manufacturers will be putting out match grade barrels for options. plus the CZ will hold it's value in the future much more than a savage or marlin. i've shot a buddies 453 varmint, it handles different ammos very well and is definately the better choice over any of the savages and marlins. i should take my own advice and wait till my gun fund is big enough to get a CZ and an optic, but i'll probably end up ordering a XT on account times are tough and funds are low.

it seems your glenfield is working well, i'd mess with it a little more as it's showing it's a shooter right off and you've already have some time into it. half the fun of a build is to see what you can achieve with the end product. i know the itch of getting a more gucci rifle, i'd run a few boxes of a match type ammo through the 25 and see where you end up at that point.

in the end, the reality is it's maybe a $125.00 rifle no matter what you do it - but if it shoots well to suit your needs the value to you to keep it is much more.

I'd remove the pressure pad and full free-float the barrel if you haven't already. Stock pressure on the barrel is a very quick way to destroy consistency. Besides that, and trying better ammo, the last thing I would actually do is a bedding job as my last ditch effort. It's not expensive to DIY so there's not much to loose by giving it a go.

Regarding the 10/22, I don't know your feelings but I have a difficult time pricing one out for less than ~$400 while still keeping it inside of my ideals of "acceptable" as a rifle. And to compete with a bolt action it's more like ~$600+ in my opinion. Obviously opinions will vary a lot. But, at that price I would rather have a Savage... Since you dislike the accu-trigger, It seems that Savage and Marlin are both out of the picture for you. Marlin's isn't an accu-trigger, but the design is similar.

To me, that really only leaves a CZ left in the race. The 452/453/455 American model might appeal to your tastes. Otherwise they have a heavier barreled model named the Varmint which shares the same general look but with the aforementioned heavy barrel which still maintains a taper that looks better than a straight barrel found on Savage rifles. CZ makes such a nice gun... the more I talk about them, the more I want one of my own. They really are worth the little bit of extra money. For what it's worth, I would personally get the 455.

I've never been a believer in pressure pads either and have lived by the mantra "free float everything. But I tried free floating this gun and groups went from 1/2" at 25 to 1 1/2"- 2". Just way too much slop in the pinned barrel of this old glenfield. Also, the 10/22 above shoots better in the non bedded factory stock (barrel contact and all) that's pictured than in the fully bedded and floated laminated stock I also have for the gun. While I don't like the idea of pressure pads I'm starting to live with the idea.

As for 10/22 vs. $$$........ I currently have $165 in accuracy goodies (including shipping) in the sporter pictured and as stated it will shoot moa with hunting grade ammo. I have never tried match or any sub sonic ammo in it for it was built strictly for hunting. That brings the total price comparable to the upper end Savages and less than any CZ. Plus I get my 16.5" barrel and semi auto. 10/22's do have some advantages.

While money is tight I'm tempted to toss a couple goodies on the Glenfield like the "non-S" model bipod pictured and a lay around scope and see what I can get for the combo at the next gun show. Wouldn't even try to get decent money from a dealer but private sale should yield me enough make a Savage (maybe a BV) a possibility if I raid the piggy bank too. That would give me a better starting platform with more goodies down the road.

LK