• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lightweight NV Capable Build

rlsmith1

Legalize Freedom
Minuteman
  • May 1, 2019
    Midwest
    Currently running Zeus QC in a KRG Bravo but am looking to save some weight (and potentially build a dedicated 6 CM yote gun). I’ve got a long action, full length Arca, bipod (and spigot), NX8 2.5-20, NV Cap, and a 22” proof barrel with a direct thread suppressor.

I still come in close around 12 lbs and I think my best bet to lose some weight would be to ditch the bipod but I don’t want to do that on this rifle. This the idea to potentially build a dedicated 6 CM if I can save meaningful weight.

The biggest unknown for me is which stock? I need Arca and the ability to run a CNVD.

Pics for the fun of it, and yes I recognize the PVS30 is ~3lbs… I will have a thermal clip on someday which is why I’d like to cut some weight now

IMG_0279.jpeg

You could shave a pound-ish by going to a sporter contour steel barrel and still have enough shoulder for the suppressor. 12 lbs for a rifle with a pvs-30 on it in addition to a day optic is pretty light though. The Bravo is already one of the lightest stock/chassis options on the market so to go beyond that you're going to spend a lot per ounce to get lighter.

FWIW, my "coyote rifle" weighs 14 lbs without a clip on. To reduce how much crap I have to carry (I walk long distances to cover different fields) and some weight too, I quit bringing my tripod and use a long bipod that I can use while sitting. I could shave almost a pound by going to shooting sticks but I hate how fidgety shooting sticks are. For NV hunting I just use my hunting AR with a skinny barrel that weighs 7 lbs with a LAM( SPIR and OTAL with a dual steiner pressure pad. This was pre-KIJI and is lighter and cheaper than a D2 or FP unit) and do fine with my helmet mounted NODs. I too will be going down the thermal route one day.

Reactions: rlsmith1
    XLR Element Mg with the NV bridge will save just under 21oz vs Bravo, arca rail, backbone NV cap (in short action). Not sure how much different long action is though.

Going with a dedicated gun will save the most weight. 16-18" barrel and dedicated thermal will save a ton over your current host.

Thanks guys, I’ve thought about a dedicated thermal too, but not sure I’ll go that way.

Btw, I’m at ~12 lbs before the PVS30. I’ll take a look at the XLR and was looking at the HTN 26 as well.

I’m kind of set on a 22” if I’m doing a 6cm just for the performance and factory ammo. A shorter barrel will save weight and reduce the “leverage” of the suppressor too. Any shorter of a barrel and I would likely do a 16” 223 or similar. I need to read through the short barreled bolt rifle thread to see how velocities are for guys running short creeds

Are you looking to build a second rifle or reconfigure and shed some weight?

This is where the Q Fix rifle and Q Side Chick chassis really shine. I've got no idea how or if your action would work with the chassis, and they are hard to find and usually only SA but do pop up used occasionally for $1000-$1200. There are actions other than a Remington that will work with their rail though if you're building a rifle. IMO a Q Fix with a 20" Proof 6CM would probably be the absolute most perfect night time predator rifle. I had one with a 26" 6CM Proof that I ran with a S&B ultra short and an 2124LR and it was perfect beside the length was a bit long with the can. The forend is stiff enough that the radius laser didn't even deflect much, and the 6CM with 95gr LRX just flattens shit without wrecking fur.

I've been impressed with the MDT HNT26 chassis so far, I haven't put NV on the forend but it's stiff enough that I would trust it for that but probably not rigid enough for thermal. In a folding configuration you'd lose a solid 1.25-1.5lbs over your Bravo with the add ons, with the fixed version maybe as much as 2lbs.

I have zero experience with the XLR Element MG but I would expect it to have a stiffer forend than the HNT26. I would certainly consider it if you like it, XLR makes nice stuff and that chassis gets good feedback.

There just isn't a lot out there for lightweight stocks and chassis with NV rails, most are 4lbs or more. You might see if Manners can make you a LRH or PH with an integrated rail. I'm sure they could put an EFR on something that doesn't weight a ton. McMillan can probably do it too but I prefer Manners for their mini chassis.

If you've already got a 22" CF barrel going a little shorter is going to save you a couple ounces or so, it's not a really significant weight difference for what it would cost. There's few short off the shelf CF prefits too so basically unless you want a 20" 308 you're either ordering a Proof or Bartlein CF blank and will have $1200-$1400 into it all said and done or you're looking at $800-$900 to have a pencil barrel spun up that will need to be so skinny you would be able to do 5/8-24 threads to have any savings.

Last edited:
    Really just looking to see how light I could go by building a dedicated rig and if it’s only to save a pound I may not spend the extra $.

I thought about the Q chassis and do like that but wouldn’t buy the whole rifle. I appreciate the comments on that chassis, would be nice to find one in that price range as that would work well.

The more I think about it, the less I probably need a dedicated rig and could put that $ towards burning out a couple barrels! I love what I have now because I can go from 308 Win to 6.5 CM to 300 NM to 338 LM with the change of a barrel / bolt. I can carry an extra pound or 2 for that

Really just looking to see how light I could go by building a dedicated rig and if it’s only to save a pound I may not spend the extra $.

I thought about the Q chassis and do like that but wouldn’t buy the whole rifle. I appreciate the comments on that chassis, would be nice to find one in that price range as that would work well.

The more I think about it, the less I probably need a dedicated rig and could put that $ towards burning out a couple barrels! I love what I have now because I can go from 308 Win to 6.5 CM to 300 NM to 338 LM with the change of a barrel / bolt. I can carry an extra pound or 2 for that

It’s not just a pound though, you’re looking at a pound difference between the heaviest option HNT26 to the base KRG. With the extras you have on that KRG you’re looking at close to a 2lbs difference between it as configured and the lighter fixed HNT26. That’s a lot. Cost wise it’s also not like comparing a base $350 KRG either.

With a lighter chassis, action, clip on, and leaving the bipod at home you could shave 5-6lbs off that rifle setup.

It’s not just a pound though, you’re looking at a pound difference between the heaviest option HNT26 to the base KRG. With the extras you have on that KRG you’re looking at close to a 2lbs difference between it as configured and the lighter fixed HNT26. That’s a lot. Cost wise it’s also not like comparing a base $350 KRG either.

With a lighter chassis, action, clip on, and leaving the bipod at home you could shave 5-6lbs off that rifle setup.
    I’ll take a closer look and see! I like the idea of a side chick chassis, reasonably light action, and a 2-10 or 3-15 scope that’s a little lighter.

I appreciate the info and thoughts!