• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Introduction to Wild Edible Plants

pascal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Was wondering if anyone in the Los Angeles area would be interested to an introduction (free of course) to wild edible plants.

Been teaching it for several years now and it's an important part of fieldcraft too.

Lemme know if anyone is interested and I'll be happy to put something together. I did it 3 years ago for hide members and they loved it.

Probably around March-May would be the best and on a Saturday (From 10am to around 2pm)

DF

Re: Introduction to Wild Edible Plants

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertFrog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was wondering if anyone in the Los Angeles area would be interested to an introduction (free of course) to wild edible plants.

Been teaching it for several years now and it's an important part of fieldcraft too.

Lemme know if anyone is interested and I'll be happy to put something together. I did it 3 years ago for hide members and they loved it.

Probably around March-May would be the best and on a Saturday (From 10am to around 2pm)

DF </div></div>

Checking in with wife if we can manage a trip south!

DF, is there anything like what you're offering for us up here in No. Cal.? Lol, last time I drove down there the local flora was a bit different looking.
wink.gif
I think it would be a very interesting class to take.

-Pat

Yeah, my specialty is SoCal (Yucca, Toyon, Etc...) although there are a number of common plants like Nettles, Lambsquaters (wild Spinach), Wild mustard and Radish, etc...

Bunch of stuff

There's Wild mustard up here everywhere. So much of it in our orchards that I think it must have been planted at one time. Is there any websites or books you could recomend, that may apply to this area? (Foothill and mountain area 60 miles N. of Sacramento)

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertFrog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a loooong trip for a short introduction.

There are a lot of wild food instructors in your area (portland)

Check: http://www.wildfoodadventures.com/

This would save u lots of $ in gas.

</div></div>

\lol thanks I appreciate it. Wife works in sales so she may be there incidentally and I could just tag along. I really wanted to go to the one 3 years ago but couldn't swing it.

My friend Christopher Nyerges has a book called

Guide to Wild Foods and useful Plants

That's what I use. His web site is: www.christophernyerges.com

Note that it's not easy to learn from a book, from experience you need to have an expert as some plants have very subtle differences. I attended over 150 classes on that subject (wild food) and it's still harder to learn new stuff from books.

But I'm sure there are a lot of common plants between NorthCal and SoCal too.

I would be interested...located in orange county!