• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR Gen 4 3.5-18x50 and 6-24x56 Comparo to NF S&B

Tucsondave

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
003kpc.jpg
004kib.jpg
009js.jpg
010kj.jpg
011xro.jpg
012ax.jpg
013b.jpg
002iz.jpg
003syl.jpg

So CD and I took a Gen 4 IOR 3.5-18x50 FFP and a IOR 6-24x56 FFP scope and compared them to a NF 5-5-22x56 NXS and a S&B 5-25x56 PMII. The IOR compared to the NF had glass that was brighter and defined objects more clearly. This was noticeable from the lowest to highest magnifications. The IOR compared to the S&B was abit less bright than the S&B,but was equal in the definition of objects. Again.through out the magnification range. The jury is still out on the IOR rings supplied with the scope that are quick release. They look like they will do the job. Time will tell. The Turrets have a very positive 1/10mil tactile click. They have a built in zero stop as well as an extra pointer that works as an adjustable secondary zero for another range or caliber. The on/off illumoination buttons are very nice and feature an auto off as well.The reticle was very easy to use and out at 600 yards the center dot was barely visible. Nice when shooting P Dogs. Overall,it is a beefy scope that has some great features not found on scopes that cost $1000 more. The S&B in my opinion is still superior,but dollar for dollar the IOR is a better value. FFP,Zero Stop,Rings,35mm Tubes,Lifetime Guarantee,Secondary Elevation Selection makes for a good deal in my opinion. Try one,I don't think you'll be sorry.

Re: IOR Gen 4 3.5-18x50 and 6-24x56 Comparo to NF S&B

Excuse my poor typing as it is from my phone.
I was at the range today to assist TD with comparing these today. I have only been behind higher end scopes a couple times so when I first sat down behind the Nightforce and IOR it was hard to pick up the differences but after some shooting and side by side comparisons I started to like the IOR more and more. One thing we noticed about the Nightforce is that when at the lowest magnification there seemed to be some fisheye going on, not sure if it was us or what though.

On to the SB, the only real difference to me is that the SB was a little brighter but I believe the IOR was more clear and resulted in more discernible detail...if that makes any sense.
All in all I would purchase the IORs over the others.

Interesting comparison. I just got my 18x IOR today and my rings aren't quick release. Just a standard nut style for torqueing down. Good to hear your favorable opinion of the IOR towards the S&B since I too was planning on comparing it to this optic. What I've hard from others basically echoes your comparison.

IOR has come a long way. Their evolution over the past few years has been cool to watch. Amazing how much progress can be made when a company listens to what folks want. It wasn't the smoothest road getting to where they are, but they are definitely going places!

I just wish their retail pricing hadn't gone up so steeply.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR has come a long way. Their evolution over the past few years has been cool to watch. Amazing how much progress can be made when a company listens to what folks want. It wasn't the smoothest road getting to where they are, but they are definitely going places!

I just wish their retail pricing hadn't gone up so steeply..... </div></div>

I couldn't agree with you more. IOR HAS come a LONG way from their 30mm scope tubes to what they have to offer now.

I just chalk up the price increase to being something to do with the "newer" internals, etc. The price is still somewhat affordable so it's not too bad.

I'm currently saving for a S&B but have my eye on the 3-18x42 FFP for my 308. I have an older IOR scope sitting here that IOR would trade up for a the difference in a new one.

awesome... ive been eyeing up the 3-18x50mm IOR for some time now... just need the $ lol

IMO.. perfect magnification range for a field scope

Thanks for the comparison. Does that second zero stop on the IOR mess with the turrets? Also how does the zero stop work on the new IOR (like the Razor or NF?)

Nice to hear! Just ordered the 3.5-18x50 from LO should be here tomorrow. IOR is GTG in my book!! Took care of me on my previous 3-18x42 without a question ask. Cant wait to get the new one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sudnit5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the comparison. Does that second zero stop on the IOR mess with the turrets? Also how does the zero stop work on the new IOR (like the Razor or NF?) </div></div>

Second zero stop doesn't appear to mess the turrets at all. I'm anxious to zero with the suppressor then utilize the secondary zero rings to zero it w/o the can and then use it both ways back and forth to see how well it works. Seems like a good idea but we'll see how it performs in the real world.

Zero stop works just like the name implies. You hit zero on the lower rotation and you're done. Zero. Stop. It's not like some of the other scopes where you can actually stop it another mil or so below zero which comes in handy for shots less than 100yds (or wherever your zero is) but probably not mission critical. If you run a further zero then maybe this becomes more handy. Again, I want to see how this affects it in the real world but I don't see it being a deal breaker.

Do you know or did you check the total elevation travel available on the 3.5-18 IOR? I don't see any specs on IOR's website or any of the scope vendor websites. It would be nice to see an IOR scope with a large adjustment range for once.

20-21 mils according to Scott@Libertyoptics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20-21 mils according to Scott@Libertyoptics </div></div>

It's exactly 20.4 mils according to the scope sitting right in front of me. According to the spec sheet Valdada sent my it's 20 mils.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20-21 mils according to Scott@Libertyoptics </div></div>

It's exactly 20.4 mils according to the scope sitting right in front of me. According to the spec sheet Valdada sent my it's 20 mils. </div></div>

Thanks for the info.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sudnit5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the comparison. Does that second zero stop on the IOR mess with the turrets? Also how does the zero stop work on the new IOR (like the Razor or NF?) </div></div>

Second zero stop doesn't appear to mess the turrets at all. I'm anxious to zero with the suppressor then utilize the secondary zero rings to zero it w/o the can and then use it both ways back and forth to see how well it works. Seems like a good idea but we'll see how it performs in the real world.

Zero stop works just like the name implies. You hit zero on the lower rotation and you're done. Zero. Stop. It's not like some of the other scopes where you can actually stop it another mil or so below zero which comes in handy for shots less than 100yds (or wherever your zero is) but probably not mission critical. If you run a further zero then maybe this becomes more handy. Again, I want to see how this affects it in the real world but I don't see it being a deal breaker.</div></div>

Thanks for the comparisons, guys. I have done a bit of comparing of the 3.5-18 to my 3-15 Premier:

PICT0151.JPG

PICT0150.JPG

PICT0149.JPG

Now I’m no expert on optics, but my impressions as best I can tell are the two are equal in terms of resolution (with the IOR turned down to 15X of course). The IOR seems just a bit more contrasty with more color. The Premier is a bit better in low light. It’s coatings are more neutral/blue while the IOR leans more warm/yellowish which makes the Premier “easier to look through” in low light and seem a bit brighter. The difference in actual usability is very small.

This is really splitting hairs though, just looking for any difference. In practical terms you can use the two side by side and won’t notice any difference between the two where it comes to glass quality. More noticeable is the slight difference in power ranges—the extra 3X of the IOR on the top end allows it to score a full line better on the resolution chart than either of them can on 15X; but of course the Premier has a much larger FOV on 3X .

For those wondering about the zero stop, here’s a pic of what it’s like after being set:

PICT0032.JPG

PICT0038.JPG

There's basically an outer sleeve on the turret cap itself secured by three set screws that you screw down to the scope body to keep it from going down any farther.

PICT0051.JPG

For those interested, I have 16.5 mils of up travel left after a 100 yd zero in the 20 MOA mount. Enough to get even my rainbow trajectory Grendel shooting 140's not much faster than I can throw them to 1200 yds.

Gotta say it sure looks impressive, and I like the features. Just may have to give this IOR a try....

So far I am really impressed with mine. Only thing I have noticed is a slight inconsistency on the turret when turning after setting the zero stop. It seems to turn easy then get stiff then back to easy.

I was slightly worried about the fit and finish and durability of the illumination buttons, but after getting my scope it the only way I would want it. It gets rid of the illumination knob that always in the way and it seems bulletproof and adjustment is nice crisp button clicks.

I have read in another thread that another person had this problem with the knob after setting zero stop and somehow resolved it, but doesn't know how he did it. Haven't really messed with mine to see if I can get it back to normal as it doesn't effect anything other than feel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far I am really impressed with mine. Only thing I have noticed is a slight inconsistency on the turret when turning after setting the zero stop. It seems to turn easy then get stiff then back to easy.

I was slightly worried about the fit and finish and durability of the illumination buttons, but after getting my scope it the only way I would want it. It gets rid of the illumination knob that always in the way and it seems bulletproof and adjustment is nice crisp button clicks.

I have read in another thread that another person had this problem with the knob after setting zero stop and somehow resolved it, but doesn't know how he did it. Haven't really messed with mine to see if I can get it back to normal as it doesn't effect anything other than feel. </div></div>

It was Steve123. You might PM him

John

VERY good thread. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this and share your thoughts.

Great feedback and info, guys. Well put, IOR continues to evolve. My experience only goes back 7 years but the difference then vs now is like night and day. Everything just seems to come together "just right" with this scope. As time passes, if the reliability holds up like we expect, this scope will be a real market heavyweight, IMO. There is a lot to like about it, and very little to not like.

Thanks for all your support.

Scott

May not be something you folks consider but what is the 3-18x50 like at dawn and dusk and under a lamp?

I already own a sfp but in the 42mm objective. I am attending a comp in the new year with night shoots under flare so night optics are real important to me.

Scotch

Hi,
On pictures showing comparison of IOR 3.5-18 to 3-15 Premier both scopes are mounted on very nice integral mounts. My question is if those mounts ar tapered and what brand it is? I am looking for strong integral mount for IOR 35 mm, 20 - 25 MOA taper that would fit AR10.
Regards
Jurek

Yup, those are AADMOUNTs, Jurek. They do have 20 MOA built in. See my sig for more info. I currently have 30mm and 34mm in stock and should have a pile of 35mm (34mm mounts reamed to 35mm) ready to ship by the end of the week.

Hi Jon
I am certainly interested in the 35 mm mount. I will e-mail you directly.

Regards
Jurek

It appears that when changing the magnification, just the power ring turns, not the whole eyepiece. Is this correct? I recently purchased my first Nightforce and that's one of the things that I don't like about it.

Thanks.

Assuming I'm seeing correctly, is there a lever built into the power ring, or is that an aftermarket accessory?

What is max ring spacing?

Thanks

How about the illumination? Adjustable? I'd be interested to see if it washes out the target in a dark environment. Will it dim as much as say an Eotech?

Thanks again.

The IOR products had lifetime warranty?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeKados</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The IOR products had lifetime warranty? </div></div>According to the IOR website they have a limited lifetime warranty.

Haven't heard of any being rejected....although if you try to take it apart and jack it up you might be on your own.

IOR does have a lifetime warranty and for me, their warranty is much better than advertised.....If you want to see my experience, click the link in my sig. to go to the thread I started about their CS.

<span style="font-style: italic">"So CD and I took a Gen 4 IOR 3.5-18x50 FFP and a IOR 6-24x56 FFP scope and compared them to a NF 5-5-22x56 NXS and a S&B 5-25x56 PMII. The IOR compared to the NF had glass that was brighter and defined objects more clearly. This was noticeable from the lowest to highest magnifications. The IOR compared to the S&B was abit less bright than the S&B,but was equal in the definition of objects. Again.through out the magnification range. The jury is still out on the IOR rings supplied with the scope that are quick release. They look like they will do the job. Time will tell. The Turrets have a very positive 1/10mil tactile click. They have a built in zero stop as well as an extra pointer that works as an adjustable secondary zero for another range or caliber. The on/off illumoination buttons are very nice and feature an auto off as well.The reticle was very easy to use and out at 600 yards the center dot was barely visible. Nice when shooting P Dogs. Overall,it is a beefy scope that has some great features not found on scopes that cost $1000 more. The S&B in my opinion is still superior,but dollar for dollar the IOR is a better value. FFP,Zero Stop,Rings,35mm Tubes,Lifetime Guarantee,Secondary Elevation Selection makes for a good deal in my opinion. Try one,I don't think you'll be sorry. </span>"

I read in this post about lifetime warranty...because o that I ask about it.
On IOR website is like you said, limited lifetime .

For the IOR owners, how many years it is the warranty wich is written on paper document on the box?

Thank you

I had an older IOR go bad on me, the power adjustment ring locked up. Had that thing for at least 7 years. I called Val and got a new one in about a week and only cost the price of shipping one way. I have several IORs and will have more in the future.

I still asking you about the warranty period on USA because in Romania,where IOR factory are, they have a 2 years warranty for IOR 3.5-18X50 scopes and that is not OK for me!!
I know that they make good quality scopes, but I am confused about what I must buy. Normally I preffer IOR but I have another possibility to buy one NF NXS 5.5-22X50 scope wich has a lifetime warranty.
Wich is your opinions?

Thank you!

Gekados, for us here a limited lifetime warranty means that the product has a warranty for it's life time. The limited part means that there are certain conditions that must be met for the warranty.

For example, if you try to take apart your scope and then put it back together and it doesn't work, that would probably not be covered under the warranty.

If you were shooting and the reticle became canted(leaning to one side) then that would be covered under warranty.

Hope this clears it up.

I think its clear for me...about lifetime warranty
So,in Romania for example it is the same rule.... You have a warranty for normal use of scope and like you said if you try to take it apart and then put it back together and it doesn't work the warranty is cancelled.
For your second example, with canted reticle, in Romania it will be covered by the warranty if the scope is not older than 2 years (warranty period offered by IOR for all new products).

In Romania if I buy this scope from IOR, I will get it with 2 years limited warranty (for normal use)..
I understant that in USA when you buy a brand new scope from IOR Valdada you receive a limited lifetime warranty but my question was how many years does that mean (2,5,10,20 years.... or how mani years after you buyng a new scope they fix it if is broken)?

Thank you!

I was wondering what the major problems were with IOR 6-24x50 tactical scopes are? There were a lot sold in Canada and a lot of IOR scopes had problems and needed to be sent back. Just wondering what the biggest problems were?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeKados</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In Romania if I buy this scope from IOR, I will get it with 2 years limited warranty (for normal use)..
I understant that in USA when you buy a brand new scope from IOR Valdada you receive a limited lifetime warranty but my question was how many years does that mean (2,5,10,20 years.... or how mani years after you buyng a new scope they fix it if is broken)?

Thank you!
</div></div> for the US, the warranty is good forever basically. We do not have year limits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whiplash360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering what the major problems were with IOR 6-24x50 tactical scopes are? There were a lot sold in Canada and a lot of IOR scopes had problems and needed to be sent back. Just wondering what the biggest problems were? </div></div> I have not heard of any problems with the 6-24, you have any links?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GeKados</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Normally I preffer IOR but I have another possibility to buy one NF NXS 5.5-22X50 scope wich has a lifetime warranty.
</div></div>

Nightforce. I wouldn't buy an expensive scope with only 2 year(s) warranty.

Thank you for your answers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whiplash360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering what the major problems were with IOR 6-24x50 tactical scopes are? There were a lot sold in Canada and a lot of IOR scopes had problems and needed to be sent back. Just wondering what the biggest problems were? </div></div> I have not heard of any problems with the 6-24, you have any links?
</div></div>

Nothing specific really, just a lot of different threads on faulty IOR scopes and warranty issues. A very respected dealer up here dropped the IOR line because of all of the bad feedback and warranty repair times taking up to 2 years...

Ohh and it seemed that it was the 9-36 that gave some trouble with a couple 3-18's and 6-24's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whiplash360</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whiplash360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering what the major problems were with IOR 6-24x50 tactical scopes are? There were a lot sold in Canada and a lot of IOR scopes had problems and needed to be sent back. Just wondering what the biggest problems were? </div></div> I have not heard of any problems with the 6-24, you have any links?
</div></div>

Nothing specific really, just a lot of different threads on faulty IOR scopes and warranty issues. A very respected dealer up here dropped the IOR line because of all of the bad feedback and warranty repair times taking up to 2 years... </div></div> People are normally not even getting their scopes repaired, IOR USA is sending them brand new scopes right after they receive the old ones. I think the last 2 or 3 people on here got a new scope back in a week or two.

2 years? I think I understand them... But the repairs was on good quality?

Last weekend I buy one 3,5-18X50 FFP MIL/MIL with SH1 reticle.
I upload some pictures:
url]

Has Lowlight or anyone else done any reliability tests on the Gen4 versions? I know the earlier models had issues, hence Gen4, but a real life reliability test would be interesting. I do agreee, if this was as tough as a NF, it would be on my list.