• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR or Leupold, advice needed, first-timer...

Re: IOR or Leupold, advice needed, first-timer...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Between the two, IOR hands down. Guaranteed to be no Japanese or Chinese parts in an IOR. </div></div>

And glued together 3 piece tubes horrible eyerelief and if you put it on more then a 308 the zero goes all over the place. </div></div>

That has only happened with one particular scope in their lineup, not the one the OP is looking at.

The IOR has better glass, but the MK4 is a good scope.

As has been suggested though, a Nightforce NXS in the $1600.00 range, is the much better value due to its fantastic resale value, as already been stated. It is built better and will function better longer, than either the Leupold or the IOR and its durability is better too.

Buy the Leupold if it fits your wants, but the NF NXS series is hands down the best value on the market.

USO won't disappoint. I've got the SN-3 3.2X17 with the Mil-Scale GAP reticle on my GAP Crusader and love it.

I'm seriously considering the USO ST-10 for the M14 I didn't buy yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wegner426</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Falar, which scope was the glued together 3 piece model? </div></div>

I don't know about that, but the model that was having failures were the early 3-18x42 FFPs. Guess I should have been more clear about that. I wasn't agreeing that those exact issues were all true but that there was one model of scope that they did have a lot of issues with.

OP,

IOR has great glass and is a fine rifle scope.
The only down sides are domestic service and eye relief.

Leupold has legendary customer service and will take care of any issues very quickly.
IOR on the other hand is Euro and has had legendary issues in getting service issues resolved in a timely manner.

One of this site's sponsors, Liberty Optics, is the only place I would consider for an IOR product.
They had a big hand in making IOR a popular product in the tactical market and bend over backwards to help their customers out.

Sorry to revive a cold topic. I just thought I'd share my final decision. In the end I held out and got a USO SN-3. The photo below is it mounted on my SPR upper, I still need to finish the lower (and get a front BUIS); the lower in the photo is borrowed from another one of my AR's, I only used it to get the upper zeroed at 100 yards.

Specks, USO SN-3 37mm, lit JNG MOA reticle, ERGO parallax, US #1 1/4 MOA windage, EREK 1/2 MOA, ARD/lens shade.

I want to thank everyone for the good discussion that took place in this topic. This is also my 100th post, now I can sell junk on the "for sale" section to recoup some of the cost from this thing. Buy once cry once, this scope is fantastic!

SPR_upper_01.jpg

I have owned 4 IOR scopes. All four either broke after a few rounds or were defective to start. You may be asking, "why did you buy 4 if you had three break?" Well, I only bought one - a 1x4x24 illuminated model. put it on a 458 Lott, for African dangerous game. After 17 shots the lenses were rattling around inside the tube. I sent it back, got a 1x4x24 non-illuminated in exchange (no illuminated models available.)It broke on a 416 Taylor. I sent it back. Got a 3x18x42 in exchange (plus $500). Put it on my 300 Weatherby. Suddenly I couldn't shoot a group under 2-1/2 inches, this from a rifle that consistently shot under 1". I put a $200 Sightron 3x15 (I bought it a few years ago) on the rifle, back to 0.75" groups. The 3x18 IOR eyepiece has a couple of set screws holding in a snap ring, they were loose, the ring was loose, etc. This was new from factory.
Finally, I have a 6x24x50 that was given to me a a gift. After every shot I have to re-focus, probably got a loose lens inside.
Yes, the optics are nice. But the quality is ratshit. If you want to take a chance on your scope packing it on on an op or during a competition, go with IOR.
My advice, get a Nightforce, Nikon tactical, or Weaver Tadctical Grand Slam. For the money, the Nikon tactical is hard to beat. It's not illuminated but you wont find better optics at any price. Some more free advice - don't spend less on your optics than you spend on your rifle.

In my experience it wasnt one model.
1x4x24 ill.
1x4x24 non-ill
3x18x42
6x24x50
All basically pieces of junk. NIce clear glass, but hardly what one could call a precision optic.

Just curious, but what does the scope & QD mount weigh, as shown?

I'll get back to you with an answer next time I'm home, that will be a month or a month and a half from now... Sorry I can't answer that question sooner.

For most 10x scopes you do not really need a parallax adjustment but it can be nice to have for close up targets. I use a USO ST10s without a parallax and it works great all the way from 100yds to 1k.

The IOR have really nice glass and offer some other good features but they are not my #1 choice.

The NEW Leupold M5's are very nice I have been really happy with the one I have been testing. I have not had much time with it but I have done a tracking test and it was spot on, the turrets are very positive, the glass is nice and clean, and the FFP reticles are nice and sharp all the way through the power range.

Mike @ CST

Backup scope that will have enough moa to shoot to 1000 yards and have mil reticle, moa turrets?
Nikon Prostaff 4-12x $165
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 $300
Nikon Monarch various $500 to $1000

I own a Buckmaster and have shot with it out to 1200 yards. Did just fine. Put them on a set of Leupold Rifleman 1" picatinny rings which are a bargain and decent rings (nice looking and they work). Nikon glass is awesome.

-USO SN-3 series (owned a 1.8-10x, it's very clear and built like a brick SH*** house)

-Leupold M5 w/FFP TMR (Just got one for my competition rifle and I'm falling in love with it.)

-Night Force NXS series

-I wasn't impressed with IOR 3-18 w/ MP-8. Reasons being that the crosshairs seemed too thick, you lose the bottom portion of your reticle when you increase to maximum magnification and the turrets are set back a little too far on the scope body in my opinion. The glass is just as clear as the others.

-SWFA SS 10x w/ rear focus. Great glass for the money w/ 30mm tube. It's not the same quality as the upper end scopes but it can handle some abuse, great for a low budget built.

-Recently purchesed the Weaver Tactical 3-10x mil/mil for 300.00 from midway for my AR.
I would put this scope ubove the Super Sniper for a couple of reasons. Variable power,mil/mil with 1/10 adjustments, the turret clicks feel way better and the glass is strikingly clear.
Great quality at a low cost.

my 2 cents

Congrats on your decision. Whenever possible, get what you really want the first time. For me, it was the NF F1, Mil/MLR in a Larue LT158 for my AR10T. I am finally getting a grip on what a great tool it is, learning my way around it, practicing ranging, etc.

Nice looking rig you have there.

I'm having a debatable time deciding between the IOR 2.5-10x42mm with the exposed tactical adjustments and a Leupold mark 4 M3 or M5. I love the IOR mp8 reticle and adore the IOR price range. At 1,189$ it's hard to question, considering the leupold is 1600$. I watched your review on the IOR 2.5-10x42mm mike, and as i said i'm liking it alot. This scope will go on a SPR, and will be for shooting steel at 500yds and varmint hunting. any opinions?