• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes IOR Recon review?

silhouette

Grey man
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2012
Has anyone here used IOR scopes ? Specifically the Recon 4-28x50?
They read up great but I'm not sure I like where the parralex ring is .

I've been using a IOR Recon for about a year and have nothing but good things to say about it. This is probably the worst place to ask about IOR scopes,as there are a bunch of guy's here that hate them.

40mm tube? Must be hard to find rings or a one piece mount?

Or the best place to ask, because there are a bunch of guys here that will try to keep you from wasting 3k on one because they are, by far, the worst option in that price range.

Or the best place to ask, because there are a bunch of guys here that will try to keep you from wasting 3k on one because they are, by far, the worst option in that price range.

That's just your opinion!
While IOR's past in customer service can be questioned,as well as some of their older scopes quality,I like the Recon. Being a LH shooter,there are only two brands of optics that offer scopes that are easy for LH shooters to adjust focus on - Kahles or IOR.
All other brands have the side focus on the left side of the scopes,and that sucks for LH shooter's shooting at different ranges all the time.

When S&B,Nightforce,and other's start making LH friendly optics,I might buy them.

While IOR's past in customer service can be questioned,as well as some of their older scopes quality,I like the Recon. Being a LH shooter,there are only two brands of optics that offer scopes that are easy for LH shooters to adjust focus on - Kahles or IOR.
All other brands have the side focus on the left side of the scopes,and that sucks for LH shooter's shooting at different ranges all the time.

When S&B,Nightforce,and other's start making LH friendly optics,I might buy them.
Try this on a google search:
Ior scope reviews snipershide

R

Try this on a google search:
Ior scope reviews snipershide

R

I've read most of them a long time ago. I also know how opinionated a lot of guy's are on this forum. I actually know several shooter's that have had issues with some of the "Hide's" favorite brands of optics,yet they don't run the brand down.

I'm not a fan boy of any brand,I just buy what works for me,and so far my IOR Recon scope has been perfect for my shooting needs.

Not sure I understand. I shoot left handed and have zero problem adjusting parallax with my left hand. No different than running a bolt with my left hand.

Reactions: Bandaid

No, its true. Guys do tend to get opinionated when they buy a 3k dollar POS. "Their customer service can be questioned." Fuck no, there is no question, their customer service fucking sucks. Their customer service equals, enjoy your 3k dollar paper weight. A 3k scope with a multi-piece tube and no warranty. Yea sounds like a real winner.

You know whats really weird? I am right handed and run my parallax with my left hand. I for the life of me can't understand why you can't.

Reactions: Vargmat
Well I do appreciate the replies and I have Googled reviews and some of those are very good, but I ask the question here because you never seem to see these at PRS/NRL type matches and this is where these shooters hang out.

Cheers.

Well I do appreciate the replies and I have Googled reviews and some of those are very good, but I ask the question here because you never seem to see these at PRS/NRL type matches and this is where these shooters hang out.

Cheers.

There lies your answer. This is not the place. But you did bring up some good points.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I've got the Recon and its been a nice scope. I've never had to send it in for warranty, but I could see sending it through customs might be a pita. Everyone that looks through it is impressed.

He also says that the best reticle is the basic mildot. I really don't care what his opinion is on anything but ymmv.

Please let's not start on Rex. Virtually every day I get a question from someone quoting Rex (or the large PRB comparison) and I struggle how to politely explain to someone that expertise matters and whatever his expertise is, it ain't riflescopes.

I send people to go watch Frank's videos. I send them to look at the specific tests that I've done.

However, I think I am going to start doing more and more videos and tutorials on how to look at this stuff and how to see through clever marketing, BS by paid for gunwriters, etc.

ILya

Last edited:
... I think I am going to start doing more and more videos and tutorials on how to look at this stuff and how to see through clever marketing, BS by paid for gunwriters, etc.

ILya
Please, Yes!

Reactions: 5RWill
Some might call that a "hint."

clapping-hands-gif-3.gif

I've got the Recon and its been a nice scope. I've never had to send it in for warranty. Everyone that looks through it is impressed.

Dv5e5.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 5RWill
Only scope to score a perfect score in Mechanical Reliability in Precision Rifle Blogs Great scope shootout test done a few years ago.

the report has been discredited on too many levels to be taken seriously

In fact, a majority of those scopes went to Vortex for real testing on their machines and found gross errors in reporting. There is a reason the Gen 2 Razor was not included, Vortex said no after talking to them.

This is the same report that said the S&B 3-27x was only a 22x, take it with a grain of salt.

the report has been discredited on too many levels to be taken seriously

In fact, a majority of those scopes went to Vortex for real testing on their machines and found gross errors in reporting. There is a reason the Gen 2 Razor was not included, Vortex said no after talking to them.

This is the same report that said the S&B 3-27x was only a 22x, take it with a grain of salt.

phillip took it with the Dead Sea...

thanks for the comments. until just now i was looking at the recon based on "youtube reviews" Lowlight brings what i consider "honest reviews"! Back to the hunt for a good, solid optic. Looking at spending about 2k (give or take). Was on the NF 5-25, saw recon.. back to the drawing and learning board!!! again, thank you frank for your insights!

I have a 2-10 on my at it is a good scope but I don’t twist the nobs it is a hunting gun, friend has a 3-18 and after a year it would not track called IOR and all I got was crickets money can be better spent by using someone else mistakes to your benefit

Reactions: Hostile_SS
thanks for the comments. until just now i was looking at the recon based on "youtube reviews" Lowlight brings what i consider "honest reviews"! Back to the hunt for a good, solid optic. Looking at spending about 2k (give or take). Was on the NF 5-25, saw recon.. back to the drawing and learning board!!! again, thank you frank for your insights!
Take a look at the Sightron svssed 4.5-24. Will be released soon

Reactions: Hostile_SS