• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR scopes?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
How do the IOR scopes compare to the Leupold mark 4s, U.S.Optics, Nightforce, etc.? I know the USO and NF scopes are better than the leupold, but I am curious where the IOR ranks.

Jim

Re: IOR scopes?

I have personally shot many rounds through the Gen III IOR 3.2-18 and it is CLEAR. WAYYYY clearer than the MK4. I had the IOR and a S&B side by side on the bench and there was no significant difference. Turrets were nice too! I would go as far as to say that they are all on the same level, except the USO. Those are just bad to the bone.

Edited to add: I have only played with ONE of the IOR and cannot speak for the overall consistency of these scopes, but the one my friend has is definitely awesome.

IOR's are great value for dollars spent as they include a set of rings, the glass is great w/very nice resolution even for older eyes. The MP-8 reticle works really well, the 2-12 or 3-18 are excellent pieces of kit.

Love my 1.1-4X. Glass seems comparable to my NFs, but not quite as nice as the USO. Love the .223 reticle. This is the only one I have experience with though.

Well I looked thru a 9-36x56 IOR and compared it to a nightforce NXS 12-42x56 and the nightforce seemed a little clearer & brighter at 36 power, But I would put USO above all of them you mentioned.

Have 2 IOR scopes and they have the clearest glass of any that I own. This isn't a claim that they are the best ones out there, just that they are a good value for the money.

i have an IOR 3.5-18x50 and a mk4 3.5-10x40 ffp with M5 turrets.

just got the mk4 this week and plan on comparing them when i go to the range next.

I have compared the IOR, NF's and SB's....i bought the IOR after that.

I own S&B 3-12x50, Premier 3-15x 50 several IOR's (3-18 FFP mil/mil, 2.5-10 FFP mil/mil) and some older IOR 16x and 2.5x10 SFP. I also have Swarovski tactical scopes, and a number of Zeiss hunting scopes. My comments on IOR:

3-18 FFP mil/mil:

1.) I wish it had a zero stop (you can sort of fix this with a 25 moa rail).
2.) I wish it was was built on a 34 mm tube not 35 (more mounting choices).
3.) I wish it were illuminated.

Note: mounting this scope can be a challenge due to the limited tube length between the turret assembly and the ocular lens housing ... this can be a pain but it works out on an AI chassis.

2.5x10 FFP mil/mil:
1.) I wish it had a zero stop (you can sort of fix this with a 25 MOA rail)
2.) I wish it had 10 Mil/turn knobs instead of 5 mil/turn knobs.
3.) I wish that it illuminated the reticle not just the center dot.

I wish the older 2.5x10 had the correct markings on the turrets (they have 1/2 MOA markings but are indeed .2 mils/click turrets and you find this out the hard way with a precision rifle past 300 yards)

It is a real pain to zero the turrets on the older IOR scopes. (Make sure you swap out the flathead screws with hex screws.)

That being said: the IOR's are rugged, dead nuts repeatable. With the exception of the older 2.5x10x SFP scopes, the mil turrets exactly match the reticle. The glass is as good as (might even be brighter) than the S&B/Premier and the MP-8 reticle (IMHO) is one of the best out there (love the center dot). I paid $1,250 for my 3x-18 FFP's and at the time it was by far best deal going. May still be one of the better deals out there. One this is for sure, you can't beat the quality of the glass for the price... at least the price that I paid.

- Good shooting ...

IOR's are great scopes at a good price.

Solid build, great glass, nice feel to the turrets, and I really like the MP-8 Dot too.

I only wish they had a zero stop.

Lee

Have had a 3-18x42 FFP and really liked it. Sold it for the new 3.5-18x50 FFP and would most definitely recommend it. I have had it for about 6 months. It tracks dead on, illumination is the best I have ever used, power range is great, zero stop, and of course awesome glass. For the money and even compared to some higher end scopes IMO it doesn't get any better. Anxious to compare mine side by side to the new SWFA SS 5-20x50 when I get them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR's are great scopes at a good price.

Solid build, great glass, nice feel to the turrets, and I really like the MP-8 Dot too.

Lee </div></div> they do have zero stops, atleast mine does.

I have been happy with my 3.5x18x50. I did break mine trying to set the zero stop, but it was user error on my part. I sent it back to Val, and he sent me a brand new one no questions asked. For the price, quality, options, customer service I think it was money well spent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR's are great scopes at a good price.

</div></div>

I have a Gen. 3 3-18X42, and it does not have ZS.
I looked on SWFA's and IOR's website, and don't see any mention of ZS, at least on the 3-18X42 models.

Which models do have a ZS?

I have a 3.5-18x50 and it has ZS.
the 2-12x32 has them
the 6-24x50 and x56 have them as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR's are great scopes at a good price.

</div></div>

I have a Gen. 3 3-18X42, and it does not have ZS.
I looked on SWFA's and IOR's website, and don't see any mention of ZS, at least on the 3-18X42 models.

Which models do have a ZS? </div></div>

I know the 3.5-18x50 FFP has them and the 3-18-42 FFP doesn't. Not sure about the other models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 3.5-18x50 and it has ZS.
the 2-12x32 has them
the 6-24x50 and x56 have them as well. </div></div>

Thanks, looked those up. Glad to see them adding ZS to their scopes.
Didn't know they had.

I own both a 3-18 and 16x IOR along with some MK4s. I would say the IOR glass maybe a little better than a Mk4 but not by much. If you can I would look at some of the scopes you are interest in if you can.

John

I have had several and been extremely pleased with all of them. Excellent glass, excellent internals. I would recommend IOR without reservation.

I have an IOR 2.5-10x42 ffp in route to my house. This is my first scope over the 1k mark. I chose it over the pst, Mk4, and NF. I have no regrets so far, can't wait to get it mounted up.

How do the IOR scopes compare to the Leupold mark 4s, U.S.Optics, Nightforce, etc.? I know the USO and NF scopes are better than the leupold, but I am curious where the IOR ranks.

your telling me im looking for my first scope over 1,100 but under 1,500 to mount on my 308 and have no idea what to get 9 and i need to decide with in 7 days time , its for target and some hunting i been told the ior has great low light visibility
but with nf and zeiss neck and neck to the ior i really am clueless tho i see the ior is a bit less wich makes me think twice.

and uso is out of my price range =(

also the MP-8 Dot is nice but dosent look much like a hunting recital.

you topic is of great interest to me, if any one has info on my situation i'd greatly appricate it!!

thank you

Tripple Ace: What do you consider a hunting reticle?

I have a IOR 3.5-18x50 and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with M5 knobs(0.1 clicks) and love them both and don't think you could go wrong with either.

The new MP-8 has that same ranging table at the bottom now. let me see if i can find a picture real fast.

Actually i might be wrong, i think the new recticle has a tree at the bottom now. here is a picture

new%20sh%20x%20reticule%202.jpg

they also have a MOA one like that too

No problem.

The H5 is a nice reticle, messed around with a 4-14x50 that had it last year, if i had money at the time i would have bought it.

Yeah the reticle page on the IOR site needs to be updated. I believe on the libertyoptics.com(hide sponsor) web site he shows most of the reticles for scope he has in stock, that's where i stole that picture from.

IOR has been an excellent scope, in my experience, providing a lot of great features including great glass and durabilty. MP8 reticle makes it really nice too!

I have an older 2-12x32 35mm SF with the MP-8 reticle. I love the scope. The glass quality is extremely clear, much better then any Leupold I've ever owned. I own a USO and the glass is a close match, not being able to tell a difference until long range you can notice a little distortion along the edges of the glass of the IOR.

Some of the older generations IOR's had a bad reputation for durability and especially customer service. That has since changed for the better. If you purchase an IOR from Liberty Optics, Scott will back it 100% so have no worries. My friend recently purchased a 3-18 FFP and it is also amazing in every feature. Both of ours side by side have accuract tracking, positive clicks, and amazing glass.

Depending what you want out of a scope, IOR is a very good decision and a lot of scope for the money.

Seriously, in the last two years IOR scopes have raised the bar to where they are an excellent option for whatever your needs are, from CQB to ultra long range. The reliability, tracking, glass, reticle and warranty have been second to none....all at a fair price.

And now, as you will soon find out, the value these scopes represent is going to get a whole lot better...

Damnit Scott, that kind of tease is just plain frustrating!
smile.gif
Lately I have been thinking hard about the 4-14x50 scopes as that range of mag would be really nice if it were FFP with the MP8 Dot.

Then again, I am open minded about what is right around the corner.

Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diriel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damnit Scott, that kind of tease is just plain frustrating!
smile.gif
Lately I have been thinking hard about the 4-14x50 scopes as that range of mag would be really nice if it were FFP with the MP8 Dot.

Then again, I am open minded about what is right around the corner.

Gary </div></div>

Maybe a free bino or red dot will get you off the fence! Just posted

Scott