• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR terminator

JDBenelliM1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
After being let down by sellers of a couple of NF NXS scopes I'm thinking of going for an IOR terminator

Ive wasted a lot of money in my 20 years of shooting thinking that i'll get away with the cheaper alternative, only to get frustrated and upgrade. I own a Zeiss that is very good optically and now anything less annoys me.

Its now time to get something that will last me out for my long range shooting!

I want a scope that is good value but also very good quality.

What I'm after is comment from anyone who owns/has owed one and ask them for advice and whether they feel it is good value, pros cons etc

All is welcome, positive and negative to help me decide if IOR is worthy of my hard earned cash

Many thanks

John

you are going to stir up a hornets nest but the general consensus is that IOR is pretty darn good optically but has had many past mechanical issues that may or may not have all been resolved in their latest gear.

I know IOR have been around a long time (decades!) and this brings views from lots of generations. I am only interested in the terminator and anyone who has used one. I've done research on the company so I know the love/hate standing it has. Customer service is another point that is important but as I'm in the uk any failings/support from US distributors may be lost on me

if you're looking for a good IOR scope, I'd strongly recommend looking at the 3-18x optic they have. My understanding is it is their hallmark scope and seems to be about as stupid-reliable as it gets. Their other optics are very hit or miss. I've owned two of their 3-18x scopes. Nothing but good to say about them. Running nightforce right now and about to switch over to the 4.5-27x vortex razor for my OBR.

I am a IOR fan but honestly i do not see the terminator as practical its simply to big 1/4mo klicks are too large,for target shooting i would rather stick to their 9-36x spider (you want 1/8moa clicks) if you want very high magnification i would chose Khales K1050 instead ,for tactical rifle i use the 4-28x50 recon and its really a great scope at great price(in Europe)

After being let down by sellers of a couple of NF NXS scopes I'm thinking of going for an IOR terminator

Ive wasted a lot of money in my 20 years of shooting thinking that i'll get away with the cheaper alternative, only to get frustrated and upgrade. I own a Zeiss that is very good optically and now anything less annoys me.

Its now time to get something that will last me out for my long range shooting!

I want a scope that is good value but also very good quality.

What I'm after is comment from anyone who owns/has owed one and ask them for advice and whether they feel it is good value, pros cons etc

All is welcome, positive and negative to help me decide if IOR is worthy of my hard earned cash

Many thanks

John

There was one for sale in the "optics for sale" section a while ago. Last time I looked it was still there. It may be buried quite a few pages back, but it would be worth the look.

I am a IOR fan but honestly i do not see the terminator as practical its simply to big 1/4mo klicks are too large,for target shooting i would rather stick to their 9-36x spider (you want 1/8moa clicks) if you want very high magnification i would chose Khales K1050 instead ,for tactical rifle i use the 4-28x50 recon and its really a great scope at great price(in Europe)

Hi mrT, I currently use a mil/mil zeiss with 0.5cm clicks and don't find the adjustments to large so the 1/4 MOA isn't an issue for me.

The scope is for a TRG 22 with heavy profile 30" barrel and moderator. I don't use it as a carry rifle and will be deployed in a static location. Weight and physical size is not an issue.

My reason for wanting high mag (40+ ) is so it can be used to see hits at long range. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a spotting scope. Spotting & correcting with speed is what im after which leads me to the ret. the IOR has one of the best rets I've seen. It sub tends at two magnifications (26 & 52) has enough marks to make fast hold over shots easier.

I have used the zeiss with good results at mid range but struggle to see bullet holes so I often shoot 5 rounds then travel down range to inspect hits on paper. I now only shoot gongs at distance with the zeiss so a hit is easily spotted. Khales are good scopes but I don't think the ret choice is good and it doesn't have the features that make the IOR stand out.

Also get a good price on IOR with 0% finance which helps!

For tactical use 1cm/0.1mil clicks are great ,but for precision shooting i prefer 1/8moa vs 1/4th moa klicks with 1/4th moa i often have to aim a bit to the side as the 1/4 moa click is to much (my F class gun is sub 1/4moa accurate )

In reality long range spotting is ofter dictated by atmospherical conditions that often don't enable even the best scopes to observe hits past 400-500m. That is why i made myself a video system that does and it cost about 250.- Eur to build and will work out to coupe of kilometers.

As for reticle i agree MP-8 is a great reticle but in SFP scope i wouldn't count on subtensions to be spot on in ither magnification you think tehy are,you have to measure it to be certain where they actually corespond ,that is why FFP scopes are used when subtensions must be right.

For tactical use 1cm/0.1mil clicks are great ,but for precision shooting i prefer 1/8moa vs 1/4th moa klicks with 1/4th moa i often have to aim a bit to the side as the 1/4 moa click is to much (my F class gun is sub 1/4moa accurate )

In reality long range spotting is ofter dictated by atmospherical conditions that often don't enable even the best scopes to observe hits past 400-500m. That is why i made myself a video system that does and it cost about 250.- Eur to build and will work out to coupe of kilometers.

As for reticle i agree MP-8 is a great reticle but in SFP scope i wouldn't count on subtensions to be spot on in ither magnification you think tehy are,you have to measure it to be certain where they actually corespond ,that is why FFP scopes are used when subtensions must be right.

Tell us more about the above. I am interested. Thanks.

I have been shooting mine for a couple of years now and love it. The optical performance of this scope is amazing and will be tough to beat. I have won a few 1K matches with this thing so far and still going strong.

The only thing I don't like about it is the parallax adjustment being way too sensitive and a little hard to reach being way out in front when u are behind the rifle.

Last edited:
Not much to tell on the video system me and my buddy, bought a 2000mw 4 chanell sender and reciever package on e-bay for about 50$ ,wired an old digital camera i had lying around ad added a motorbike battery , on the reciever end i coupled it with a 40$ 7 inch monitor and a bike battery. At first thing was good for around 500-600m due to antenas used,but then we invested in a directional antenas that probably cost the most of all (cca 100$) and now i have yet to find range limit ,as long as antenas have a line of sight to each other they are good to at least 2000m. IN end effect thing probably cost 250-300$ and works perfectly. In future we will might upgrade the monitor for one with higher resolution that would enable camera to be moved about 30+ feet from the target vs now cca 15 feet and still have a clear enough picture.

b7226bcbe02148864be9b3486cb445.jpg
2235_45348c6777a719e71746d736b909604f.jpg
2235_cb51b6c4ead043b8b762fb287f9b3444.jpg

IOR over all have well made scopes and there glass is very good. If we can be of help let me know and we will get you a good price on one.

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Not much to tell on the video system me and my buddy, bought a 2000mw 4 chanell sender and reciever package on e-bay for about 50$ ,wired an old digital camera i had lying around ad added a motorbike battery , on the reciever end i coupled it with a 40$ 7 inch monitor and a bike battery. At first thing was good for around 500-600m due to antenas used,but then we invested in a directional antenas that probably cost the most of all (cca 100$) and now i have yet to find range limit ,as long as antenas have a line of sight to each other they are good to at least 2000m. IN end effect thing probably cost 250-300$ and works perfectly. In future we will might upgrade the monitor for one with higher resolution that would enable camera to be moved about 30+ feet from the target vs now cca 15 feet and still have a clear enough picture.

Looks very similar the bullseye target camera. Very interesting bits of kit, and great if they are reliable.

Eroco, what calibre are you using? Looks a nice setup

Have you compared it side by side to other high end scopes? What was your reason for choosing IOR over other brands?

I also own a vortex razor hd, and a new Nightforce competition scope and hands down for optical performance it's IOR all the way.

It's just a heavy beast and parallax adj is a pain, other than that it does what it's supposed to do better than anything I've seen..

By the way I shoot a custom 260 on a savage action, JP amcs chassis..

Eroco, Do you use a canted rail? Ive read that the scope needs to be mounted on a minimum of 35 MOA to make use of the zero stop. Is this true?

Once my 30" kreiger .308 has had enough I'll be barreling the TRG in .260. My wind reading isnt the best (need more practice) but I'm sure .260 would help my grouping! Can I ask what length barrel you are using and the distances you are normally shooting too (assume 1K some of the time?). I'll probably keep it at 30" again as I now have the kit to cope with a long rifle!

I guess the ultimate question is if you had the choice again would you choose the terminator? If not what would it be?

Thanks for your comments so far.

Cheers
John

Eroco, Do you use a canted rail? Ive read that the scope needs to be mounted on a minimum of 35 MOA to make use of the zero stop. Is this true?

Once my 30" kreiger .308 has had enough I'll be barreling the TRG in .260. My wind reading isnt the best (need more practice) but I'm sure .260 would help my grouping! Can I ask what length barrel you are using and the distances you are normally shooting too (assume 1K some of the time?). I'll probably keep it at 30" again as I now have the kit to cope with a long rifle!

I guess the ultimate question is if you had the choice again would you choose the terminator? If not what would it be?

Thanks for your comments so far.

Cheers
John

I use a 20 moa rail and do not use the stop.

Barrel is 28" and I shoot from 100 to 1300 regularly. I had the melonite treatment done and after 1100 rounds it shoots better than ever.

The scope is perfect for matches where the user is not fidgeting with the settings too much, the little quirks I mentioned is no big deal for the optical clarity that I get. For me it works, especially for the matches.

Those that have them seem to love them. Even though NF have a big following I think ill be disappointed in the glass now I've been using zeiss for a while. I was reading the swiss scope report here on the hide and the NF doesn't seem to be in the same league. Even though its only $250 cheaper than IOR (12-42 NXS vs 12-52 IOR) it makes the IOR look like a good buy!

S&B are expensive here, probably equates to $700 more for the Schmidt over the IOR.

Never heard of melonite coating. Please explain what it is and benefits vs cost. Dont think its common here in the UK

Thanks
John

I have been shooting mine for a couple of years now and love it. The optical performance of this scope is amazing and will be tough to beat. I have won a few 1K matches with this thing so far and still going strong.

The only thing I don't like about it is the parallax adjustment being way too sensitive and a little hard to reach being way out in front when u are behind the rifle.

Great looking setup!!