• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

longshot2007

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2010
Good evening,

I have the chance to pick up some IOR scopes for a good price (couple hundred under swafa) brand new. Whats the opinion here? is it worth it? Or just use the money for a nightforce? Thanks.

Re: IOR

Which IOR models are you considering? Are they recent production or several years old?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShtrRdy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which IOR models are you considering? Are they recent production or several years old? </div></div>

Answer to that question will make a HUGE difference, in the answer to your question.

IOR are quality scopes. Glass is superb, and for six years the adjustments on my four have been flawless(hunting/target use). Some models are "cosmetically challenged" IMO and most models are a little heavy due to their robust construction. Resale value is spotty. Val at IOR is great to deal with and customer service seems to top tier, but I have not had to send one back and don't think I will ever have to.

IOR Glass is superior to Nightforce. As far as what I've owned in IOR, I would buy them before Nightforce. I've owned both and IOR is/was better.

That said, I have heard of some models of IOR that were having adjustment issues. As bad sometimes as breaking, and supposedly customer service wasn't good.

I will say I've dealt with Scott at Liberty Optics and with SWFA and they've both been good. They've made good with various customers who had the problems. So, I wouldn't be afraid to buy an IOR.

Either way, you'll be getting a top notch scope.

I would call scott at libertyoptics, tell him the models you are interested in and go from there. I don't know if he can match the prices you heard but he is good people and will take care of you.

they are brand new from the factory. I have family in Romania. so the new models are good to go? think it would be something cool to have, little different than whats normally seen out at the range. Thanks again guys.

I've had several IOR optics and as mentioned above, the glass quality is remarkable for the price. Reticles were excellent as well. My only complaint would be the weight.

good to know. I have seen the weight and realize it is a bit more but for me it goes; gun safe, gun bag, sits in car, unloaded at range, sits on bench, back in bag, back in car, back in safe
smile.gif
I don't actually use my stuff like some folks, lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshot2007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Whats the opinion here? is it worth it? </div></div> No.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshot2007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Or just use the money for a nightforce? </div></div> If those are your two choices, I would go with NF. Far less likely to fail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshot2007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Whats the opinion here? is it worth it? </div></div> No.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshot2007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Or just use the money for a nightforce? </div></div> If those are your two choices, I would go with NF. Far less likely to fail. </div></div>

I appreciate your response, you wouldn't happen to have a reason for them would you? like to know what you base that off of.

i used my 3-18 IOR snipers hide edition with tmp8 reticle at a match sunday and placed 5th overall i love it. it tracks perfect, the reticle is effing sweet plus 10 mils per revolution. its a perfect match for my 6.5 creedmoor AR10. the 3-18 is pretty compact and ugly at first but after making hit after hit it grows on you.

I only had problems with 1 of my IOR scopes and they took care of it quickly enough. Some of their scopes are goofy and too specialized to be useful but the current crop like the 3.5-18, 4-16, and 2.5-10 FFP models are all good.

I have had 5 IOR scopes over the last 7 or 8 years. Still have the 1st and it has performed flawlessly and to be honest hasn't been treated very well (2.5-10). Had some problems with a 3-18 but customer service was excellent and received a new scope in a matter of days. Glass is excellent (maybe not as good as my Kahles) and love the reticles.

I have a 2.5-10 that the finish has literally worn of off. It still functions flawlessly. Dare I say I use it more than my USO

I have had 6 or more of them -- currently have 3

I have never had a problem with them and the glass is better than the Nightforce scopes I have owned at the same time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longshot2007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I appreciate your response, you wouldn't happen to have a reason for them would you? like to know what you base that off of. </div></div>
I don't knoe many people that have run them, but the ones that did had issues - bad ones. It sounds like everyone else that responded is very happy with them and have no troubles. Maybe they fixed their problems - I won't be finding out.

IOR has a bad rep on here because of the 3-18. It was called the 'sniper's hide' edition but I don't think they got the HNIC's permission to use that name with it and it was a lemon right out of the gate.

The new ones are good to go, they have great features and great glass, but avoid the old ones. That is the TL;DR version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IOR has a bad rep on here because of the 3-18. It was called the 'sniper's hide' edition but I don't think they got the HNIC's permission to use that name with it and it was a lemon right out of the gate.

The new ones are good to go, they have great features and great glass, but avoid the old ones. That is the TL;DR version. </div></div>

thanks, I like the cliff notes!

I have 3 of them and they are all running flawlessly but they are all SFP, the main reason for the bad rep of IOR was their 3-18 FFP it was a real POS. I have one of those 3-18 in SFP and it has been running perfectly from day one and many Fclass matches, the problems of over 4 years ago have all been corrected and IOR is now a great scope producing company with excellent glass rivaling much more expensive ones.
hope this helps and stay away from the 3-18 FFP.

In my experience, most of the folks putting IOR down have never owned one. I own two and I also own a NF with the NP2DD. I like the NF reticle better, but the IOR reticle is very good. I like the glass in the IORs better. As far as internals, all three work flawlessly. They are all heavy, beefy scopes, but I don't see you going wrong with an IOR.

i have owned and still own and use IOR scopes. i recently sold a 2.5-10x to a friend because i upgraded to the 3-18X. i use a 1.5-8X on a 3 gun rifle. i have and use my very old 1.1-4X on a .223 carbine for NRA tactical matches. I broke one 1.5-8x at a 3 gun match with a bad fall. the customer service was excellent!

I don't know much if anything about scopes. I have only owned four. A nikon 3-9 hunting scope, A nikon 2.5-10 tactical mil dot, a luepold 10X mark IV, and my current scope a IOR 3.5-18X50 SFP with the illuminted MP8 reticle. You can range in mills at one setting and range in MOA at another. The glass is crystal clear. If the prices are as good as you say I don't see how you could go wrong. Depending on how many you can get your hands on I would be interested in getting another. PM me if you are interested in that.