• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Iowa shooters check in

Re: Iowa shooters check in

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IAretat20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No carrying firearms at the state fair this year. Just a heads up. </div></div>

not true. you can carry if you want. IF you are found to be carrying the fair board has asked the state patrol to ask you to leave. if you don't, then you're supposedly guilty of trespass. ordinarily that would be true, but considering the fair board doesn't own the property (the taxpayers do) they can't actually apply that, nor do they make law. i'm not really wanting to be the first guy to get arrested just to prove it, but the fact is you CAN carry provided you are legally permitted. not trying to argue, just wanted you to have the facts. iowa code 724...

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads....370#Post1961370

here's a few more...

michael here... near baxter. we're holding a precision rifle I class at the 500 yard range near searsboro on oct 1/2 if any are interested. it is being tought by two members here on the hide from team blaster. next year we go out to 1k and 1 mile, but our PR I is a prerequisite.

we've got some ground around here depending on the time of the year that we can shoot to nearly a mile if you guys are interested sometime. it is harder to get it lined up in advance, but i'm willing to give it a try if you like.

-michael

Three shooters located east of Des Moines. Wanting some longer ranges. Have targets willing to travel.

Ottumwa,Ia- about 70 mi SE of DSM- very new to the site but loving what I"m seeing.

Going to school in Ames, from Iowa City. If anyone wants to go coyote or waterfowl hunting let me know, i can always use more hunting buddies.

Gents, responsible young toad here... service member in Omaha who loves road trips to shoot, if anything gets organized please keep me in the loop!

Thanks to all for replies!! Seems like we have a pretty fair representation of all areas. I have been in touch with a few of you. I would like to start keeping in touch with shooting, reloading , or whatever. Some of us should be able to get together. We are going into winter so now would be the time everyone could get to know each other. PM your email address and I will put together a list, if that is agreeable, of email addresses so we can all copy each other. If no interest that is OK too, I know everyone is busy.

Rich

Just checking in. also from the quad cities. anything going on anywhere, soon? spring has sprung after all.

Paulus

Is there a website I can get info for the Colfax Urban Sniper match?

I found it on the Iowa Hometown fourm. The last time I looked it was on the second page. Cliff notes are 50 to 285 yards. A 3 position 5 target each position sniper match, do it again but with some pistol targets thrown in and a 285 shot at a piece of pool chalk.

Thanks! Im not familiar with that forum but I will deffinately try to find it!!

Hi all, I apologize for the late notice on this, I've really been suffering from head up the ass syndrome lately.... The Colfax Urban Sniper Challenger is t his Sunday, 7/1. Directions and info are at ar15.com/hometown/Iowa/Colfax urban Sniper Challenge 2012. Hope we can see some new faces, ill be sure to give plenty of notice for the Aug 26th match, were going to run ads in the Register. Thanks, Bill Kinser

I attended the Colfax sniper shoot today. It's well worth the time to make it out there and see the hard work the set-up crew did to make this event happen. Targets were everywhere! The next one is in 8 weeks so mark your calender. This is an awesome event to shake your gear out and a chance to win some great prizes!

Edit

Don't forget to bring along a pistol and maybe a semi-auto gun to shoot the combat course that happens after the sniper challenge. A little bit of magnification helps also, as I found out today.

If you guys dont mind an Illinois boy jumping in I would like to get in on this Colfax shoot. I am from the Geneseo area near Q.C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuke Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you guys dont mind an Illinois boy jumping in I would like to get in on this Colfax shoot. I am from the Geneseo area near Q.C. </div></div>
The operators of the Colfax shoot would be thrilled to have ya. I know I'm going to be doing some recruiting for the next match.

Bettendorf I have the Aug. 26 match penciled in. I was really hoping the vortex scope I ordered would be here by then but it doesn't appear that will happen. Just going to have to use the cheapo thats on it. For the QC guys where do you shoot at? If any one needs some distance I have multiple farms to use.

Nuke Man, Bettendorf, please pm me with next event details, id sure like go. havent done a comp yet, would like to observe and maybe help out wherever possible. I'm neighbors to y'all and I'm definitely interested in this.

-Paulus

I've copy and pasted this from mk12bill who posted the info on Arfcom's Iowa Hometown forum.

"OK gents the dates for this years USC are April 22, July 1, Aug 26, and Oct 21. We've come up with a few new challenges for this year. All I will say is know where your rifle hits from combat prone at short (<50 yds ) range. We'll be running the combat match again this year also, and have all new steel targets, so no waiting to replace the clays like last year. Matches will be $15 each, with the $50, 35 &15 prize money for 1st 2nd & 3rd place in the sniper challenge. Plaques will be awarded same as last year. Matches will start at 9am. Directions to the range are: I80 Colfax exit N .5 mile to Fleet Ave, Left on Fleet .9 mi to N4thW, left 1mi to W120thN, left .8mi to gate #946 on the left. This event is being sponsored by Ray Precision Machine. Any questions you can email Stu at [email protected] or Bill at [email protected].
We'll be shooting the chalk challenge again as well, pool chalk at 240 yards."

Here's the thread
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_42/478758_Colfax_Urban_Sniper_Challenge_2012.html

Check it out.

Nuke man, yes we would love to have you come and compete. There's a Micro-Tell right off the interstate if you don't want to drive in in the morning. The match went well despite the heat, though we did have a mild case of heat exhaustion resulting in that competitor taking himself out in the middle of his run. A bigthanks to the few that did brave the heat and came out to have some fun, hearing the positive comments during debriefing makes the effort Stu and I put into this worth it. Mark your calenders for Aug 26th and Oct 21st. I hope this fuckin heat doesn't last to the end of August, but as its Iowa I'm not holding my breath
wink.gif

Bettendorf, Thank you for reposting that! will definitely mark my calender!

-Paulus

Count me in. Really looking forward to this guys! I saw on Ar15 that 15one rounds for USC and 40-90the for combat comp. Are these accurate? For the combat comp would iron sights really limit me? Also are FMJ rounds ok to use on this course?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuke Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Count me in. Really looking forward to this guys! I saw on Ar15 that 15one rounds for USC and 40-90the for combat comp. Are these accurate? For the combat comp would iron sights really limit me? Also are FMJ rounds ok to use on this course? </div></div>

That's accurate. Misses on the combat course don't matter, so long as you hit the targets so P for plenty works best. I carried 90 rounds and I had two rounds left over. Of course, I missed a lot. If you can shoot irons well, you'll be ok. The smallest targets that were on the combat course were something like 5"x7" plates at 200 or so yards

Just found this thread. I will be in Iowa from August to May; we should shoot.

Nuke man, fmj are OK, just no ap. You can try the combat course with irons but no-one that's tried it has finished before they ran out of ammo. If you can hit a 5"round at 150yds I'd say try it, otherwise a magnified optic is recommended. I have a $200 Bushnell 3200 10X on my mk12 clone and had no problems hitting everything. Were looking forward to you running the course as well! I'd like to point out that we've not been able to make the plaques this year, but we are giving prize money for both the USC and combat course

Do I need to register or just show up? What ranges will we be engaging targets at with the handgun and about how many rounds will I need for it?

Nuke man, no pre registration is required, just show up. The farthest pistol targets are 15 yards max. How much pistol ammo you bring depends on your shooting
wink.gif
45 rounds should be enough, we set out about 15 pistol targets.

OK, 1week to go! The ad was supposed to be in th Retarder today but obviously wasn't, not sure wtf happened. Looking forward to some new faces! See you all in a week!

Well it looks like we're in for shitty weather this weekend. I'll post Sat night and early Sun morning so if you're planning on comming you can check the updates. Basicly we're only calling it off for thunder/lightning or deluge rain. Hopefully the Gods of shooting will smile on us and just give some light rain, perfect for training
wink.gif