• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Iowa shooters check in

Re: Iowa shooters check in

Nuke Man, we're usually wrapping it up by 2pm, depending on the number of shooters that show up. I just checked weather bug and its down to 30% chance on Sun so we'll probly be OK.

OK guys we need you to chime in if you're going to make it tomorrow. The rain isn't stopping today so we're going to set up an abbreviated course in the morning. Ill check back at 9pm and make the call. Thanks guys. Bill

We'er going to set up a limited course in the morning, 3 stations under the shelters. This will just be for fun so no prize money and a $5 entry. See you in the morning.

Well I'm up so fuck it....see you guys at 0900. If this gets canceled let me know I will check back periodically during the drive over. Wish we got some of your rain, dry as a bone here.

Well I'm up so fuck it....see you guys at 0900. If this gets canceled let me know I will check back periodically during the drive over. Wish we got some of your rain, dry as a bone here.

Good fun, can't wait for more shoots.

Edit: Huh, first post...

Thanks again for hosting the Colfax shoot. Had a good time and met a bunch of good guys. I hope to see everyone again next year.

Another Iowa guy checking in. I live in West Des Moines.

Is anybody aware of any places to shoot long-range (or semi-long range at least) in the central Iowa area? There's some decent public ranges but they all seem to stop at 100 yards.

Zanshin09, Van Meter goes out to 600yds, but last I heard there's a waiting list for membership. The Izaak's at Maxwell is 300 and Colfax is 200.

Just a heads up, the Colfax Urban Sniper Challenge is the 21st, just 2 weeks to go for the last one of the year. Hope to see some of you there. Bill

I may be in Ames that weekend, not too far way. What's this consist of--- what does a guy need to bring with?

Stoney, if you go to ar15.com/hometown /iowa /Colfax urban sniper challenge you'll find what you need. One thing I might add is a good sling. Any other questions you might have shoot me a message. Bill

Found that thread mk12, thanks. I am hoping i can make it over, i am bringing everything with in hopes that I will be able to. Sounds like a blast.

Well I blew it on thier sniper match but got first place on the DM course. On the sniper match you have to collect all your brass. So I tried a caldwell brass catcher. Caused a double feed and three pieces of brass made it out of the bag. Plus I called the ranges wrong so I had the wrong dope for 6 of the 15 targets. The targets were 5 inch swingers. So plenty big at the ranges we shot at. The DM course was more to my liking as I got rid of the brass catcher, found the right ranges to the targets and my pistol work was solid. The next guy down was shooting a GAP 260 boltgun w/ a Nightforce 5.5x20 I think. He had the 10 rd AI mags so that helped him alot. I would have liked to try the DM match w/my ACOG. 4x and the hold-offs might be tough. The ranges were from 50 out to two hundred yds. Shot from a roof line, out of a plastic culvert, out of a low cover type box, thru a fence sitting betweem cinder blaoks and off a twenty foot ladder. Only four shooters total, not sure why. Great props, good match direction and the course was very doable as in skill needed to complete it was middle of the road. I felt I got my moneys worth and am looking forward to making more matches next year and again thanks to everyone who set it up and all.

Another Iowa knucklehead here. Just northwest of the urban sprawl of Morley. Gunny claims I'm in range from his house. Dang .338's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mk12bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zanshin09, Van Meter goes out to 600yds, but last I heard there's a waiting list for membership. The Izaak's at Maxwell is 300 and Colfax is 200. </div></div>

Sorry for the late info here but at the membership is up to 500 now so I believe their are spots available. Also try at the first of the year as some members do not renew. If your going to shoot at the 600 line try to make it out middle of the week lots of guys out on the weekends wanting to shoot at 200

Hi guys. Sorry for the late notice, I've been dealing with the flu or GD sinus infections since the last of January, REALLY sick and tired of being sick. Anyway, as Richard1 posted the first match is 4/14, followed by 6/30, 8/25 and 10/20. Everything is close to what it was last year, the Sniper Challenge will be one shot per target, about 15 targets. The Designated Marksman Course will be rifle or carbine, shooters choice with pistol targets added, all targets need to be hit before advancing to the next. Last is the chalk challenge, hitting a piece of pool chalk at 200 yards. $5 per shot till you hit it, then sudden death elimination till the last (or first) shooter hits it. $3 out of every $5 that goes into the pot goes to the winner. $10 entry for the USC or DMC. Any questions shoot me a message or email. [email protected]

I'm going to be moving to the Sioux City area within the next week. Any ranges around that area?

I should have also mentioned the Colfax Urban Sniper Challenge sign in starts at 8:30 and the match starts at 9:00

Checking in from just east of Cedar Rapids/Marion/Hiawatha metroplex!!

We have a rain course set up for tomorrow as the weather is supposed to be shit. We'll be there but if no-one shows up by 9:00 we're bugging out

We had 7 shooters despite the weather and a good time was had by all despite some shaky shooting, me included! First shoot of the year is always a bitch ;) Richard took 1st in both the USC and DMR courses, hate to see what he could do with a precision bolt gun instead of his RRA carbine! Thanks to everyone that showed up despite the shitty weather and thanks to Dan and Dave for helping with the teardown/cleanup, it is always appreciated! Hope our Illinois friends can make it for a shoot or two this year as well. Bill

Another great match, remembering it was set up to accomadate the weather. Who ever ordered the wind sure got what they wanted. Even at a short distance like 220 yards, something was affecting either the bullet and/or pushing the shooters around. I know the roof line gave me what for. Enjoyed the Somlia Pirate table. (a table was suspended from the rafters with webbing so it swayed from the wind and recoil) Can't practice that at many ranges. Thanks for the compliment but the only thing on that rifle from RRA is the lower. Again this is a well put on match with the proper amout of difficulty(minus the gusting wind) to make it fun but not easy.

I'm a pretty new member to the site, living 75 miles southwest of Des Moines.

For those looking to shoot out to 500 yards, there's a new range at 2216 130th street, north of Afton, Iowa.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2216...F-8&ei=cWzXUtW6PNCxsATI1oDAAw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Membership is $45 yearly, non members are requested to pay $5 per hour for range time. Five trap stations, a 25 yard pistol bunker, and dirt berms at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards.

If you visit the range, contact info is on the info board for memberships, if interested.

Thanks for bumping this thread, don't know how I missed it. Davenport / Quad Cities guy here.

Colfax Urban Sniper Challenge
First match May 10
Check AR15.COM for more info in the Iowa hometown section

Cedar Rapids here, hating all present long range shooting options and gun shops....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody planning on shooting in the august colfax urban sniper challenges?

I wanted to shoot the first one in Aug, scheduling conflict screwed those plans. I am planning to shoot the 30th.

Are you looking for info on the shoot?

Yeah, I heard the range that they used yo use was closed to center-fire and wanted to know directions and if there were any changes.