• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

iPhone Protection for the Field

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I just made the leap into the 21st century, & got a Samsung Infuse. Put the Shooter app in it, & now I'm wondering what you all use to protect your iPhone with in the field?

Re: iPhone Protection for the Field

I had looked @ the defender, but it gets very poor reviews for my phone, & it isn't water resistant.
    Lifeproof looks like just what I'm looking for, but they don't list one for my phone.

Have the Lifeproof, love it. I agree, you can't hear as well, but there are going to be compromises to have a waterproof case. One thing I like over the Otterbox is that the exterior is not soft rubber, meaning I can slide my phone in and out of my pocket easily.

My Magpul cover has been working great. I've dropped it 5+ feet onto concrete and it just bounces like a bouncy ball. It also adds almost no bulk to the phone so it's very comfortable to use.

I can't comment on any of the other covers for the Iphone though. I had a Otterbox on my droid and didn't care for it, it was way too big and bulky but it may be trimmer for the Iphone, I wouldn't know though.

Otterbox that sits inside of a Maxpedition phone holster.

I've had the Otterbox, Otterbox Defender, and the Ballistic case. I didn't care for any of them for reasons already stated; too bulky.

I currently use a Magpul iPhone case and it protects the phone without being awkward or bulky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Otterbox Defender

Good luck </div></div>

+ 1.. mine works great

I'm pleased with my Otterbox Defender. Toughest part about taking it to the field is its black color getting lost inside drag or kit bags. I try to put it on an outside pouch for that reason.

There are four main places I use my iPhone where good protection is critical:

Road/Mountain Biking
    Skiing
    Hiking
    At the range/shooting sports

All four require durability, drop protection, and dust protection. But, for me, they also require weather/water resistance. That's where the Otterbox Defender comes up short. Plus it is huge and sticky. Makes it difficult to slide in and out of pants pockets or sleeve pockets.

As was mentioned above, the Lifeproof case addresses all these issues.

It is water and snow proof, drop/shock proof, and dirt/mud proof. All things likely to be encountered in any and all of the activities I've listed. Plus it adds minimal size to the iPhone. It is the smallest case with this level of protection that I'm aware of.

Now there are a couple things that might be considered drawbacks. The first is that this is a relatively involved case to put on and take off. Before putting the iPhone in for the first time you do a waterproof test to make sure your particular case passes muster before trusting your iPhone to it. It then takes a bit of work putting the phone in and taking it out. I like a slim profile at work so I only put the Lifeproof case on when engaging in activities but think the level of protection is worth the extra effort involved.

Another drawback is the sound quality, both transmitted and received. All the microphone and speaker ports have gore-tex membranes for waterproofing. If the case has any retained air inside as it's sealed, it can force the membranes against the openings thus degrading the transmitted sound. There is a very easy fix for this which is essentially just blowing into the ports to force the membranes away from them.

At the end of the day, though, when I'm out doing any of these activities, I'm not really all that interested in taking calls. When I'm shooting I want to use my ballistic calculator without messing up the phone. When I'm riding bikes I want to use the cycling/mapping functions without messing up the phone. When I'm skiing...you get the picture. Way down on the list is talking to someone on the phone, but when I have to, the sound quality is adequate with the Lifeproof.

I really think it's the best tool for the job at this point.

I've used otter box cases for my Ipods (2nd gen touch and 4th gen touch) for 1 deployment to Iraq and 1 to Afghanistan. I'm not crazy about the latest case fot the touch, but so far it has been good to go. I have a Zagg invisible shield on under the otter box currently and the screen is still plenty sensitive enough to control the video. There's enough space on the dock connector port for my badelf GPS module. I have no complaints with it overall, it's been exposed to the rain plenty, dropped, had coffee spilled on it, stepped on, etc. and has kept the ipod safe and undamaged.

+ 1 for the LifeProof case.

I have used the otterbox on my iphone 4 for about a year and have been vey satisfied. It is dust and dirt resistant and is somewhat water resistant, but definitely not waterproof. During hunting or other times when I think it might get wet I put it in a small ziploc bag. I suppose you could even "double bag" it things were bad.

I have a lifeproof on my iphone 4s and I like it. The Otterbox defender was awesome on my 3gs but they screwed the pooch with the 4/4s version. It's way too bulky/blocky, doesn't seem to cover as well as the 3gs version and the rubber part gets streched easily and starts to fall off.

Check out the Griffin Survivor. I had the otterbox defender before ... This is much better for my iphone4

Is the dock extender necessary for the lifeproof case in order to use the regular apple wall plug or car charger? I see on their website the extender is out of stock so if I can't charge the phone without taking it out of the case that is a deal breaker.

Have the magpul cover along with one of those ipod plastics that stick on the screen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VaFarmer2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have & like the lifeproof but I wish it had the belt clip like the others.
    </div></div>

It does but you have to buy it separately unfortunately.