• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

iPhone Reloading App

DamnYuppie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
Idaho
I was looking for a reloading app but didn't find one. Does anyone know of one?

Being a software developer by trade, and having written several iPhone apps, I was thinking I would just go ahead and roll my own. With that in mind I was pondering what features the reloaders here would fine useful or beneficial? Here is my first swag at the MVP (Minimal Viable Product) feature set. This is not meant to be everything under the sun just a subset of features that, in aggregate, make a useful application:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Components Inventory Tab</span>
A tab that allows you to enter quantity, type, manufacturer, and lot # of the following:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] bullets[*] brass[*] powder[*] primers[/list]

<span style="font-weight: bold">Armory Tab</span>
List of your weapons and their pertinent information such as:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] Make[*] Caliber[*] OAL[*] Head Space[/list]

<span style="font-weight: bold">Load Tab</span>
This section would allow you to see all of your loads. The would be separated into sections by caliber. From here you can <span style="text-decoration: underline">view the specifics of a load</span> or <span style="text-decoration: underline">create a new load</span>.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Create a New Load</span>
As the name implies here is where you work up a new load.
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] Select the components to be used from your Inventory.[*] Specify the weapon it is for. [*] Create step ladders as you work up the load, optionally associating a picture with each step ladder.[*] Add velocity information for the load. Including, STD, High, Low, and Average.[/list]

<span style="font-weight: bold">View a Load</span>
Essentially a dashboard view of a load. Shows all of the elements that were entered into the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Create A New Load</span> screen.

Overall it would be a pretty simple app but would let me quickly see the loads I have and their history. Which is easier for me to work with then a journal that I have to lug around. The intent is this would mostly be for long range/tactical shooters and not the shotgun crowd. Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated!

Brian

<span style="font-style: italic">Edited some typos.</span>

Re: iPhone Reloading App

What you are describing sounds like a great idea. If you could make it work like Quickload it would be even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you could make it work like Quickload it would be even better.</div></div>

That is a pretty impressive feature set they have. I am not sure if I could do all of that upfront as I currently do not have the level of domain knowledge.

It does make me think that the app should have range reports associated with a given load. The range reports would allow you to keep track of density altitude, temp, and location. Overtime that would be some useful info to have on the load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone doesn't have an Iphone. What about Android???</div></div>

+1000.........Definitely

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone doesn't have an Iphone. What about Android???</div></div>

I have not done any development on the Android platform. It isn't that I am unwilling to do it, just easier to bang out a little app like this in a library I already know. If people like the iPhone version and enough clamor for an Android version I would nut up and figure out how to get it done.

I'm in. Anyone know of a good shooting app as well, where you can mark groups etc

I know there are several for android, but not sure if there are good ones for iphone

I think Ballistic FTE has the capability to "mark" or log groups. I don't use that portion of the app, so I can't attest to it's usefulness.

This one is more for 'score' shooting - although ironically electronic devices like an iPad, etc. are not allowed on the line during firing:

http://www.shotplot.ca/

I read these last few posts, and thought 'I really wish On Target was available on my iPod/iPhone...'

Unfortunately it isn't (though there is a new 2.x version out, yay!)... but they did provide a link to an Android app that does something similar - now we just need to get them to port it to iPhone or bug someone into making a similar product for us...

http://targetcalculator.blogspot.com/

I saw a bumb walking around talking on the telephone the other day. A GD bumb... I just don't get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw a bumb walking around talking on the telephone the other day. A GD bumb... I just don't get it. </div></div>

Back in the early nineties, when not everyone had a cell phone, I was in the line at the grocery store. The lady in line in front of me had to dig through her big fancy Louis Vuitton bag, past her big cell phone that she laid on the counter, to get her food stamps.

I got my first cell phone about 5 years later.

I think this is an awesome idea. I'd love to have my load data on a smartphone. I was actually wanting to write something similar to this in my free time. I wrote a lot of code back in college but haven't really touched anything since.

I think the list of what you have is great.

Personally, when I do load development, once the load dev is done, I then try and test it in as many environments as possible to get 'good' data. So, I'll freeze during the winter and try and find as hot a day as possible. Tracking this information would be incredibly useful. I have in in an Excel sheet right now but something in a smartphone would be awesome. I'd like to be able to reference it, as I would my data book, when I'm at the range or a match.

Make it iPad compatable and save loads, you will have a reloading bench winner there.

Thanks for the feedback. I started working on this today. I will post some pics once I have a better UI baked.

Once I get further along I will see who is brave enough to be a beta tester for it!

Question for all of you. Does it matter if the app is pre-populated with all the existing Powders, Primers, Bullets, and Brass for you to select from? Or is it preferable to type it in the information as you already have the materials on hand and know what they are?

Can you do both? This sounds really cool. I agree if you could make it iPad friendly.

I do have an iPad and developing for it isn't that much different then a iPhone. I will look into it when I finish the iPhone version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for all of you. Does it matter if the app is pre-populated with all the existing Powders, Primers, Bullets, and Brass for you to select from? Or is it preferable to type it in the information as you already have the materials on hand and know what they are? </div></div>

I would say have a dropdown box with all the choices in it, and have one for "other" if it's not in the list. Then have the ability to write it in if its not there.

+1 I agree with JonLSU. Drop down list would be nice but still have the ability to list your own.

Just in case I missed it, would it have a performance tab on each load so you can track how each load performs in the various conditions you have tested it in? If not maybe it could just food for thought.

Also +1 on the beta tester if needed.

viper4 it will have the ability for you to log information when you shoot your loads. It will allow you to enter in location, atmospheric, and chronograph information. It will also allow you to take pictures and save them with that session.

I have also posted a poll about the type of application it should be. It can be found here.