• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

iPhone video through scope (Now with Video)

OnyxSkyDV

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. As a proof of concept I found a way to mount my iPhone up on my rifle so that the camera points through the scope.

This way I can use the video capture feature to film through the scope. Not nearly as quick as looking through the scope itself to acquire a target, but doable, and the bonus of playing your shot back. I have a few ideas to play with now.
smile.gif

5562869864_d4b263b475_b.jpg

5562870738_d5e0e4af20_b.jpg

5562358563_5774969f1a_b.jpg

Was kinda fun to do. Makes me think of what else I could do with it.

Onyx

Here is the video. I'll take it down if it causes an issue.
Vid

Re: iPhone video through scope

I got a video of the "critter" going down, but wasn't sure how it would be received.

Onyx

I vote for posting the video. Plus that's a slick little setup you got there.

Nice work, pretty slick. Damn, he ^ posted "slick" while I was typing mine... Crazy, MUST be slick hahah

That is a really great idea, looks pretty darn good. Much better than I expected when I saw the thread. Also very anxious to see the video. You kidding, who on here wouldn't want to see a bit of blood and gore?

Here is something similiar Chris has been working on. He first started doing it for a sight impaired friend to see if it could be done and turned out working pretty good.

http://vgmount.com/video-mount-gun-sight/

I still can't figure out how to get my camera to focus in thru my spotting scope.

Topstrap

I vote, show video!
Otherwise we just won't know how well your mount really worked!!

You should post the video, nobody is going to complain first off, and anybody who might complain, but didn't have the sense to NOT watch it deserves a whooping. If you don't wanna watch it, then don't! I for one obviously vote "post it"
grin.gif

-Dylan

The mount is pretty simple. I have one of these:

http://www.thoughtout.biz/products/NAJA-King.html

that I used to hold the phone in the proper position. (stretched it out and velcro'ed it to the barrel and the scope mount) I have no hope of it working for a centerfire round, but with my suppressed .22lr it's "ok".

Now that I know the video doesn't suck, I will likely fabricate something that give a much more positive adjustment, and repeatable position for the iPhone.

I think something like the GoPro camera would be a much more likely ideal camera for this, so I might give that a go.

Downside is, trying to watch the smaller video screen as opposed to looking through the scope kinda blows. you have a pretty narrow field of view.

I saw a very expensive product out there that would sit inline with the scope, between you and it, and uses a prism to let you view through the scope, while also sending the image to a video camera / sending unit. I want to try and replicate something like that with the GoPro.

Video to follow once I get a good copy off my phone.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Onyx

Ok guys, added a link to the video in the first post.

Onyx

Might have to get me an iPhone so i can do something like this. I got an iPad (without camera)
smirk.gif
but even if it had one i think it would be a bit too big to mount like that.
laugh.gif

P.S. IMHO the video is just fine not to nasty at all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onyx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a video of the "critter" going down, but wasn't sure how it would be received.

Onyx </div></div>

Onyx, your video was AWESOME, with the forum name Sniper's Hide I for one wouldn't worry about the reception.

Thanks guys.
smile.gif
I know it's not all that gory compared to some serious barrel burners in even smaller calibers, but I also know that the moderators have to deal with some incredibly stupid stuff at times, like maybe a person finding the video and trying to make a stir, so I just didn't want to make things any harder for them than needed.
smile.gif

Cheers guys! Maybe I can come up with a real mount design and post it up for everyone to share and use.

Onyx

Good video. The quality is suprising. Does it make it harder to shoot at all ?

Re: iPhone video through scope (Now with Video)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome idea/video

now excuse my ignorance but what is that gas tube looking thing running parallel to your barrel?</div></div>
+1, I was wondering the same thing upon reading your first post, I just forgot to ask
smile.gif

-Dylan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome idea/video

now excuse my ignorance but what is that gas tube looking thing running parallel to your barrel?</div></div>
+1, I was wondering the same thing upon reading your first post, I just forgot to ask
smile.gif

-Dylan </div></div>

I believe it is part of the mount that he is using to hold the I-phone to the gun. Check this link that he provided out and you will see the mount better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome idea/video

smile.gif

-Dylan </div></div>

I believe it is part of the mount that he is using to hold the I-phone to the gun. Check this link that he provided out and you will see the mount better. </div></div>

Exactly right Varmint! The flexible tubing that makes up the mount I pulled out straight and velcro'ed to the barrel. Just a proof of concept, so I had no concerns as to whether that would cause any issues long term.

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish u could fabricate something up for a centerfire. </div></div>

I think I could do so, but my concern would be whether the iPhone could handle the recoil or not. I seem to remember that Knights Arm. made a mount to hang it off the side and use their ballistic app as sort of an attached ballistic calc, but they had a disclaimer to not shoot with the phone attached or you would / could kill the phone.

If I do get a mount fabricated, I will post it here for sure, and y'all can tell me if it kills your iPhone or not.
smile.gif

I suspect the GoPro camera could handle the shocks better, and it has a pretty fantastic HD video capture. I can only imagine the video would be very clear. Only issue I see there is that the little viewing LCD they have might make your scope image small to look at.

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gknutson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good video. The quality is suprising. Does it make it harder to shoot at all ? </div></div>

Surprisingly, much harder than I thought. Although the apature size seems to be about the same size as the image you see on the phone, when you are behind the scope your field of view is pretty decent, and looking at just the video screen I found twice as hard to spot the targets. Could get better as I improve the mount, but I would not plan on it as a perm replacement for looking through the scope.
smile.gif

Onyx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PoniesWhee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seen this yet? Lady rigged up her sony handycam with nightshot to her scope :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brZfAFvlBD0&feature=related </div></div>

Great link and video! I would be out there several times a week with a rat problem like that! It'd have to be suppressed .22shorts though. Heck the Super Calibri's might even do it at that distance.
smile.gif

Thanks Ponies!

Onyx

Wow,I got lost in the wonderful plethora of youtube videos with small criiter headshots
smile.gif
Thanks for posting the link!

Don't you wonder what keeps them kicking and squirmin for so long? Gotta give it to um ... they are tough little bastards.

Have been thinking some kind of support too. Thanks to this thread, I think I actually start making one.

For comparsion, this is how it looks without mount...
AR15, 16" with Burris XTR 1-4. Reactive TGT, Range 680yds. Ammo 55gr Federal XM193.
Temp -10F.
http://www.pohta.fi/artikkelit.php?id=175

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guy Coker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can we get a better pic of the mount? </div></div>

Not a great pic, but it should give you an idea.

5579246751_e89c85f168_z.jpg

Onyx

I just purchased one of these.

I have a bunch of ideas on how I can use it with my iPhone, but I am hoping it will fit the Kodak Z8i as well. It would be pretty slick if I could capture some HD video through the scope.

Sweet headshot vid!

Sweeeeet Vid! Brings back some memories of my tour through Varmit-Nam.