• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR Filters for Off Road Lights?

ajwcotton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2008
Back in KS
I saw the thread about the IR filter materiel and it got me thinking about putting an IR filter on my KC lights for night shenagians. Does anyone know if there is a commercially avaliable cover for standard KC lights?
Or perhaps a cheap alternate IR light that I can mount on the light bar for night driving?

Last edited:
I know about those but really they suck and was looking for more powerful/farther reaching options.

you can't IR operate different wavelength than your standard visible light. if you put a ir filter on those light, you basically block out most if not all the light. best just use a night vision google for driving.

Lightforce lights with their Ir filters work very well. The filters clip on and off so you still have a clear light if you need it.

Lightforce lights with their Ir filters work very well. The filters clip on and off so you still have a clear light if you need it.

then its a filter that block the IR/heat signature of light. the ir filter(passing IR signature) i'm talking about operate from 700nm to 1mm, which only allow heat/other signature in that band to pass.

aj:
are you try to block the visible light from the lamp or are you try to block the heat signature etc from lamp? not sure whats the purpose of the latter method.

Infrared cut-off filters, sometimes called IR filters or heat-absorbing filters, are designed to reflect or block mid-infrared wavelengths while passing visible light. They are often used in devices with bright incandescent light bulbs (such as slide and overhead projectors) to prevent unwanted heating. There are also filters which are used in solid state (CCD or CMOS) video cameras to block IR due to the high sensitivity of many camera sensors to near-infrared light. These filters typically have a blue hue to them as they also sometimes block some of the light from the longer red wavelengths.

if its the latter then are you worry about the heat or just damp the light a bit? if the purpose is to damp the light then, a near-band IR filter(stop) operate around 700nm-200um can block some the light coming off from the KC lamp.

Last edited:
OK to clarify I am looking to block the VIS light and only pass IR/Near IR to use with NV as an illuminator. My pickup already has a light bar with KC daylighters so I was hopeing to find something that would be a filter for those. I am very fimiliar with NV gear and I know that these lights produce plenty of light in the IR spectrum and that if I can get a filter that will cover them it will be very bright in IR and give a faint red/purple glow to the naked eye. Anyway so if there isn't a filter that will work or that I can adapt then I'll be looking for a deecent IR illuminator that I can vehicle mount.

OK to clarify I am looking to block the VIS light and only pass IR/Near IR to use with NV as an illuminator. My pickup already has a light bar with KC daylighters so I was hopeing to find something that would be a filter for those. I am very fimiliar with NV gear and I know that these lights produce plenty of light in the IR spectrum and that if I can get a filter that will cover them it will be very bright in IR and give a faint red/purple glow to the naked eye. Anyway so if there isn't a filter that will work or that I can adapt then I'll be looking for a deecent IR illuminator that I can vehicle mount.

If you have covers for them and or don't care if they are full time IR lights, you can build it yourself either with paint and or covers made from darkened plastics. Rigid industries also has some light bars in the IR range based on customers needs that most are unaware of.

well there are plenty place selling IR pass filter, but large diameter IR pass filter is pretty rare. there are place selling industry 50mm IR filter, which require you to do some work to put infront of light.
here is link where engineer purchase their filter for companys project. but if you can put few of these together then it would work fine.
the bandpass i suggest something like 700nm-100um or beyond.

Andover Standard Bandpass Filters 700-799nm

the edge filter should work best, judging from the graph it pass anything above 700nm with 80-90% transmittance, the visible light is from 400-700nm. you want the IR long wave pass

Andover Near Infrared Long Pass Filters part# 750FH90-50S make sure it pass 100um range though

if you find other place that has IR filter, just ask their spec, if its around 700nm+/- 50nm above to a 100um(thermal heat raidation region i think is 50um-100um or above) then it will work. also transmittance should be at least 70% above. you want to block range from 400nm-700nm, which is visible light spectrum for our eyes.

Last edited:
edmundoptic has these

Optical Cast Infrared (IR) Longpass Filters | Edmund Optics

but it doesn't go all the way to 100um. you can ask them if they have filter that pass heat(range from your light heat), and block visible light. just look at some info seem like human body heat is around 10um, so you might not need to goto 100um. so anything block around 400-700, and pass something around 10um +- few hundred nm should work.

Last edited:
Somehow I am seeing activity that is not in full compliance with KDWP&T law taking place.

Haha, maybe in my younger days. I am really just wanting the capability to drive blacked out a little better than with just ambient light. As far as taking game its got to the point where the only thing I shoot with a rifle anymore are coyotes.

S002wjh, that is pretty much what I am looking for now I have to devise a mount thanks.
Any more suggestions are welcome.

S002wjh, that is pretty much what I am looking for now I have to devise a mount thanks.
Any more suggestions are welcome.

if you look to pass the heat from light source, i'm guessing the beam is around 70F degree. if so base on human tempeture correspond to 10um, you probably need filter in the similar range, say something Block 400-700nm but pass 3um-50um(more or less, depend on the heat. but you can goto edmundoptic or andover ask them do they have filter that pass heat source of those light and stop visible light.

rule of thumb is near ir, around 700nm region is usually for hot source(like 1000s degree), mid ir is something like low-high 100s degree, long-ir region is around human/background temperture. i think most thermal scope operate in long-ir region.

here is a quick link on thermal scope range

How Thermal Imaging Works - Infrared Technology - Morovision Night Vision

Near-infrared (near-IR) - Closest to visible light, near-IR has wavelengths that range from 0.7 to 1.3 microns, or 700 billionths to 1,300 billionths of a meter.
Mid-infrared (mid-IR) - Mid-IR has wavelengths ranging from 1.3 to 3 microns. Both near-IR and mid-IR are used by a variety of electronic devices, including remote controls.
Thermal-infrared (thermal-IR) - Occupying the largest part of the infrared spectrum, thermal-IR has wavelengths ranging from 3 microns to over 30 microns(actually its up to 100um, but thats -200 degree range).

http://www.morovision.com/how_thermal_imaging_works.htm

one thing to remember is if your light source has same tempature as the background, then you won't see it.

Last edited:
Contact Dave Wells from Wells custom guns we just picked up a WHOLE BUNCH of IR lenses from a source. These are MILSURP items. He has been playing with them he says they work GREAT on his ATV in conjunction with his PVS-7's!!!

When I was looking for lights for my deuce I cam across IR floods and IR spots. I can't remember the company or site but there was a post about them on steelsoldiers.com. If you've got some free time on your hands poke around that site some and you should find them.

I work on a bunch of russian tanks and other vehicles and all of them use IR filters on their headlights to use with the night vision sights and periscopes. It works great for NV but not so well for thermal....unless you're looking for the lights with thermal. They show up great. The light isn't visible to the naked eye when the lights are on but they get very hot to the touch so its easy to tell when they're on. The tanks have spotlights for the main gun that tracks it and the commanders sight that can be aimed independently. I've seen the filters for sale on ebay along with some of the other russian night vision. The PNV 57 googles normally come with a filter or two in the carry case. They are tankers goggles that plug into the tank. They work with 28v systems and are gen 1....not real good for travel.

Good luck
Frank

which is why using a heat lamp for thermal scope is better. NV operate by amplify the ambient light from moon/star/other source. the filter use in those case must pass some light for the NV to amplify it.
This is same when using EOtech in NV mode, you can't see the dot because the intensity of the dot are too low for nake eyes, but amp up when using NV scope

Just in case it hasn't been suggested yet, a buddy of mine had an IR spotlight on the outside of his truck (similar to how a police car's spotlight is mounted) and it worked well for slow night driving on his ranch.

That will allow you to keep it on the road but also aim it to the side if you need to.

Ok, I haven't checked back in a sec but, I don't need anything thermal or to produce heat in any way. I also understand that an IR filter over an incasdasant lamp will generate a significant amount of heat. none of this is important to me. I have found some IR filters, however they are all flat and to mount them I would have to source or fabricate some form of bracket that holds the lense and also blocks the vis light that would be coming out the edges since the KC lights are curved. Right now I am looking to source a good dedicated IR light that will throw a good beam and also light up near obstacles like potholes, ruts, ect. If anyone knows of a good source of IR lights please chime in. I am thinking of something like the IR light off the bottom of a helocopter, anyone who has seen a helo IR landing light under NOD's knows it's very affective.

I use a small Lightforce light with snap on IR filter on the fender of my Jeep. It puts out enough light for me to drive under NODs. It gives off a slight red glow that can be seen up close with the naked eye. I did have to swap to a lower wattage bulb.

Second on the contact Dave Wells from Wells custom. He has two types, and one is curved with a 4.5 OD and I believe is for the front of the stand alone lights on military hummers. Like the one in eBay #200908805669. I bought that one, but the lens and bulb is a GE 4411 standard tractor light. I'm fairly certain the ones that Wells has are the same. I think it'd work perfect for your application. If you can find the spotlight/ headlight housing, Wells will sell you the filter for less than $30, IIRC. They might also fit the KC ATV (#421) lights / Apollo 5 inch (#451) lights too, but I haven't verified.

Other options mentioned above- Lightforce filter- eBay #140750584560- $100 for the filter, add light. Available for the 140mm (5.59"), 170mm (6.8") and 240mm (9.45") reflectors.
MagnaLight/ GoLight remote infrared spotlight filter-http://www.magnalight.com/pc-244-27-GL15007-Covert-Infrared-Lens-for-Golight-Radioray-Remote-Control-Spotlight.aspx- $285 + light.
Baja Designs HID IR Spotlight- $320, but looks mean as hell. eBay #281112230622
IR filter sheet- 9.8"x9.8"x.12"- eBay #200620240358, about $40 from UK. I have one of these on my QBeam and it works great.

If I understand, you're trying to find a filter for a regular KC light. I'm in the same boat and have had no luck. If you come up with something, please post back. I have the 8" KC lights, and will check to see if my Humvee light will fit a buddy's 5" KC light this weekend, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited: