• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IR illumination for the woods

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
I am running a sightmark wraith 2x on top of a savage mk II which I have been using for predator control. All of my shooting is done less than 75 yards (most of it between 20-40 yards). I am shooting from a field into a hedgerow that is a known hot spot for furry terrorists.

The stock IR illuminator on the wraith is giving me two problems:

1- Its not bright enough at dark. This unit provides crystal clear viewing into the woody area at dust, up until I can barely walk without a flash light. Once it is fully dark, this unit is next to useless. The beam can be focused down, but is still too weak at full dark to pick up detail.

2- What it will illuminate at full dark is the all of the trees in my face, making the woods beyond completely dark and the leaves in front of my completely lit.

Is there a better rifle mounted IR solution for hunting into wooded areas? This is my first digital scope and first illuminator so I am not sure which models to look at or even what specs I should be looking for.

What Generation is the NV? Agree that the Surefire is a good choice for the distances you are working with.

I had one like this. I sold it but it would be very good for what you are doing. The beam is very adjustable and it's pretty stout.