• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IR illuminator debate...

jwp6114

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2008
Newnan, GA
I have used several diferent IR illuminators to include a D-ball'D2, Luna opotics, and an AN/PEQ-15. Each of these have pro's and con's and I am short one illuminator and need one.

My question is for thoes who have experiance, what illuminators are out there that are durable, well constructed, beam can be spot to a tight point as well as wide, and have the option of a remote pressure pad other than the ones listed above... (oh yea, and are available to Joe civillian)

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried a Torch Pro? It is good out to 600+ yards or so using a PVS-14 and even better with an NV scope, you can zoom in the IR or keep it wide too. It also uses a SF remote off-on switch.

I use mine weapon mounted with my DBAL-I2 for lighting up the laser area at night on hog and coyote hunts, as well as hand held scanning.

You do NOT want to mount one on your helmet for night scanning with a PVS-14, just too bright and will get chicken wire in the tube.

You can also mount a USGI 3X magnifier on it with a screw in adapter to extend the range and tune in the spot very tightly.

If you want bright and focusable, the TorchPro is it!

Torch%20Pro%20SIG.jpg

3X%20Kit.jpg

Last edited:
What is your budget, that will help a lot in determining what is going to fit for you. I've got several cheaper ones that I can engage stuff out past 350 with, and the Torch will take you out further yet. Or you can spend a lot more and get some serious range out of one.

If your range is over 1,000 meters the SPIR is the best bet, if it is around 500 meters the TorchPro is the best bet!

SPIR%20&%20Spyderco.jpg

SPIR%20High%20Conc%20No%20Mag.jpg

SPIR%20Low%20Conc.jpg

The spir is cool and all but it doesn't concentrate down tight enough for me. The d2 doesn't either. If they would make them concentrate to a tighter beam they would have something.....

Not interested in a LED illuminator, only laser products. Also prefer it spot to near a point. Have played with the D2, it is not strong enough and does not spot that tight. The owner of it an I are both disappointed in its performance vs its size and cost...

As far as price range... <$1000US

Looking to use it with an AR with magnified and unmagnified optics, also with a PVS-22 out to and beyond 600 yards.

D2 and SPIR work best for night walking and hip shooting, At long range the pattern as stated limits the use past a few hundred yards for me,But I do my best work inside 50 yards at night anyway. Application is king to performance expectations. For the money a supertac 30 is a killer flash light type illuminator and would get you way out there as long as stray light on vegetation or close obstructions doesn't wash the Nv out, but its again LED.. Black market is where you will be with laser Illuminators that are powerful enough to make a point pattern.

Last edited:
Not interested in a LED illuminator, only laser products. Also prefer it spot to near a point. Have played with the D2, it is not strong enough and does not spot that tight. The owner of it an I are both disappointed in its performance vs its size and cost...

As far as price range... <$1000US

Looking to use it with an AR with magnified and unmagnified optics, also with a PVS-22 out to and beyond 600 yards.
I don't know that you'll be able to legally be able to find what your looking for. I doubt it will be class 1, and if it is, it will be in the same aisle as unicorn tits. Good luck though, and if you find something, please post her up, I'd be interested in seeing it.

But for real tho.... Why don't they just make the DBAL and spir focus in to a tighter pattern? I'd buy one if they did and I'm sure several others would to. Seems simple to me but maybe not. I don't want to light up the world just what I want to shoot at long range.

Got a chance to play with a Luna EILR 3, and was quite impressed, focus in tight as a laser, pan out wide for close up... Around $400 retail...

That's good that it focuses in tight. How far do you feel you could get good illumination with it? I may be interested in one too.

Got a chance to play with a Luna EILR 3, and was quite impressed, focus in tight as a laser, pan out wide for close up... Around $400 retail...

You said you had to have a tight laser illuminator that punches out way past 600 yards, the Luna EILR 3 states that it functions out to maximum of 489 feet or about 150 yards, plus it is made of plastic, sounds like a complete bust to me when compared to either the TorchPro or the SPIR? Not to mention the 785nm output leaves allot to be desired to....

http://www.lunaoptics.com/docs/LN-ELIR-rev3-Feb2013-web.pdf

Luna EILR3 785nm maximum range = 150 yards

TNVC TorchPro 820nm = 600 yards and 900 yards with 3X Magnifier

LDI SPIR 850nm = > 1,000 meters

Last edited:
It's my understanding that the FDA made Luna Optics neuter the output power of the EILR 3 late last year. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but it was very significant.

Ok the numbers were bugging me. I own a LN-ELIR-3 and it HAD an output power of 90mW and a listed max range usage of 1000m.

The link SkyPup listed above has the output power now at .5mW

As for durability it sucks. My bezel has broken loose, I've rigged it with a piece of bicycle tubing - so it works, kinda. I'm afraid to send it in for repairs because I don't want it neutered... but as far as power, it does blow away my SPIR or DBAL D2.

Do you really want a light whether IR or visible mounted on your rifle which gives anyone within line of sight an excellent aiming point? From my experience an illuminator mounted near the line of sight of either an optical or NV scope will have a useful range of no more than 400 yards because of atmospheric backscatter. A more powerful illuminator does not increase that range.

Last edited:
Do you really want a light whether IR or visible mounted on your rifle which gives anyone within line of sight an excellent aiming point? From my experience an illuminator mounted near the line of sight of either an optical or NV scope will have a useful range of no more than 400 yards because of atmospheric backscatter. A more powerful illuminator does not increase that range.

I'd have to disagree. I've used illuminators and engaged targets a lot further than that.

I have one of the old luna's ,and it rocks !!!! It will get way out past 600m ,but I bought one of the new style about 1.5 years ago ,and it sucked ,and broke in 20 minutes ,but they have since changed them again ,and I have not had a chance to play with the new ones .

Once you have a chance to see and use it - you understand.
Some folks get it and some don't...its all good
Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, blah - blah - blah

Glad you liked it and really no debate as you referenced in your topic!