• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision iray 640 lrf finder

tacotim

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2019
Churchville, Maryland
Thought I would share my experience with this iray so far. I’m fairly new to NV and thermal so I won’t give any broad generalizations about what it is or isn’t, just some impressions from using it a week or so. Originally I’d wanted something like an Axion xq38. But thought I’d give this a try before getting one of those. Basically I wanted a pocket size unit that I can take for a lot of different purposes instead of feeling like I am having a dedicated thermal outing with a bigger device.

iRay FH25R, 640/12 um/25 mm/ 1280 display with LRF, <50 mK. all chinese ingredients of course.

-FOV is awesome. I would guess the base mag is about 1.5x or so. The intended use was for scanning woods hills / mountains. Definitely allows a quick scan.
-What I would call the depth of focus on other optics seems good. Meaning I am not constantly playing with the objective focus.
-The objective focus ring and lens cap are made out of a rubber that collects dust and small particles.
-The rubber eyepiece is a little too deep for my eyes. I guess someone with a flatter face tested this design :) The solution is probably to trim the rubber down a little. Switching out the eyepiece with one of the other monocular models is another possibility.
-The LRF claimed range is 600m. I have not been able to test it much at distance. I am used to Geovid LRFs with instant numbers so it doesn’t compare with that.
-the size seems good to me but on the upper edge. any bigger and I’d have to start thinking about how big my jacket pockets are.
-The menu system seems solid and not too convoluted or deep. This is controlled by a line of three buttons on top. There are a handful of color schemes, 5 or so, and brightness, contrast, zoom. I have found myself using white hot the most. For me blackhot is just a little more natural for detection but then I don’t think this is very good at night even with the display brightness turned down to the lowest. I am not sure if this is related to the iray display or just a general tradeoff with all thermals. Whatever the case the white hot is effective I don’t feel like a lot is lost.
-It has PIP at 2x of the base mag and digital zoom to 4x. The PIP is nice. I don’t use the digital zoom.
-The spacing of the buttons on top of the unit are a little too close. Everything can work fine with some use, there is just not extra room.
-the display can we switched off to save battery with a fourth button on top. This does extend the battery but not to the extent of putting your laptop on standby or something like that. I believe the detector is still on and using power.
-This is integrated battery that charges via microusb. I would guess bat life around 4 hrs but have not ran it all the way down. Can be used while charging.
-The app works but is not polished. I was surprised how well the wifi streaming works. I normally don’t use these kind of bells and whistles however this got me thinking about mounting it outside of the truck.

I'm running an iRay MH-25 which is outstanding for a hand held or helmet mounted thermal. I spoke to the guys at Ultimate Night Vision and they said it definitely wasn't rated to be weapon mounted or handle recoil. Also I haven't been able to figure out how to save the adjustments to the reticle. Lol

adding a little more to this topic. i am continuing some adventures in the econo-priced scanner/rangefinder combos. i sold my iray finder and picked up an axion xq38 lrf from a member here. its about the same pricepoint as iray finder 640 lrf. having used both of them, the only thing i liked more from the iray was the FOV and form factor.

-the amoled display on the axion is alot better. the colors are better and the brightness turns down lower without getting too uneven or wonky. with iray at night my eye was taking beating even on white hot. there are some nice red schemes on the axion
-the pulsar rangefinder has worked better for me. although i don't think its going win any awards for rangefinding it does seem much more functional than the iray's lrf
-digital zoom and pip is alot more useful on the pulsar despite only being 384x288
-the iray feels chinese. the plastic housing, fiddly lens covers, focus, buttons, etc. there is just no escaping it
-the battery system in the pulsar works alot better for me than internal battery
-the pulsar doesn't have any internal memory for video etc
-the pulsar seems sort of clunky to me. not really a criticism at the cost. a review at optics trade thought the fit and finish was like an apple product. to me more like a craftsman wrench. reliable but not slick
-overall i feel like the iray 640 was kind of a paper tiger