• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IRay RH25 Micro video/picture thread

I got lucky, there was no skill involved lol
1647919328466.png

Looking at the video I noticed the sides seemed a bit "soft"/blurry. Is that a function of the day optic or of the Iray?

Looking at the video I noticed the sides seemed a bit "soft"/blurry. Is that a function of the day optic or of the Iray?
The camera I use, or any cameras for that matter, has to be PERFECTLY centered or the edges will darken/blur at higher magnification. It’s hard to get that thing perfect. But yes, it’s not the thermal causing that.

Jay

Reactions: stefan73
What about mounting one of these in front of a say Razor 4.5-27. How usable would it be in the 4.5-10x range ?

What about mounting one of these in front of a say Razor 4.5-27. How usable would it be in the 4.5-10x range ?
I would guess 10x is asking too much. 4.5-6 would probably be OK, unless you like the look of pixels through your scope.

4.5x minimum reall cuts into your FOV. Best to stick with a 1-8x scope.

Reactions: st1650
I would guess 10x is asking too much. 4.5-6 would probably be OK, unless you like the look of pixels through your scope.

Make sense. I’ll probably go with a vudu 1-10 eventually

Reactions: TheHorta

Your exactly right. My 3-12 S&B doesn’t even look very good with it. It’s definitely an acog, Elcan, 1-8/1-10 clip on.

I have 3 left in hand right now if anyone needs one.

Jay

Your exactly right. My 3-12 S&B doesn’t even look very good with it. It’s definitely an acog, Elcan, 1-8/1-10 clip on.

I have 3 left in hand right now if anyone needs one.

Jay
Looks like my two are “On FedEx vehicle for delivery” now. :p

Reactions: NHPiper
So here’s my disclaimer. I have no past thermal experience. My experience comes from some spare time research here and there. My intentions are coyote hunting and knowing this doubles as a scanner, maybe scanning fields while walking in to deer hunt.

For a guy that truly doesn’t have weapon sight and handheld scanner money, is this a good compromise of both? And some might say at $6k I could buy a decent handheld scanner and weapon sight. Can anyone help me justify this other than it being cool? Maybe it’s truly not practical for my needs. But I do like that I could use it as a weapon sight, but also a clip on with my day optics. And obviously handheld use as well.

So here’s my disclaimer. I have no past thermal experience. My experience comes from some spare time research here and there. My intentions are coyote hunting and knowing this doubles as a scanner, maybe scanning fields while walking in to deer hunt.

For a guy that truly doesn’t have weapon sight and handheld scanner money, is this a good compromise of both? And some might say at $6k I could buy a decent handheld scanner and weapon sight. Can anyone help me justify this other than it being cool? Maybe it’s truly not practical for my needs. But I do like that I could use it as a weapon sight, but also a clip on with my day optics. And obviously handheld use as well.
What's the range that you want to shot with this at? What day optic do you have? Using small thermals like this with a FOV of more than 9⁰ usually dictates using it with an LPVO. Even at 2x mag, you are cutting into the image resolution.

What's the range that you want to shot with this at? What day optic do you have? Using small thermals like this with a FOV of more than 9⁰ usually dictates using it with an LPVO. Even at 2x mag, you are cutting into the image resolution.
I’d probably pick up a day optic suitable to use so I wouldn’t say I’d get this to fit my current day optic. And actually I’d prefer to use it as a standalone weapon sight which would mean the closer the better to preserve optic quality rather than needing to use digital zoom. I live in west Kansas so open country, but my goal really isn’t long shots. I’d prefer inside 200 yards. I’m a “the closer the better” kind of hunter. But a longer shot I suppose is possible if the coyote would hang up at a longer distance. The more I look into this, the more I think it’s probably not right for me. I’m just wrapped up in versatility of it.

F2FEA98D-3021-446A-B381-47778493AE75.jpeg

E3C85BA6-AEF6-4768-8581-1524888BF332.jpeg

92EE6F16-C72F-4E18-9987-BB5D10A1B481.jpeg

ChinaDoo has no shoe/mount installed, so I assume that’ll add ~2-ounces.

I’d probably pick up a day optic suitable to use so I wouldn’t say I’d get this to fit my current day optic. And actually I’d prefer to use it as a standalone weapon sight which would mean the closer the better to preserve optic quality rather than needing to use digital zoom. I live in west Kansas so open country, but my goal really isn’t long shots. I’d prefer inside 200 yards. I’m a “the closer the better” kind of hunter. But a longer shot I suppose is possible if the coyote would hang up at a longer distance. The more I look into this, the more I think it’s probably not right for me. I’m just wrapped up in versatility of it.
I think your expectations of this little thing are a bit low, as it should be, it’s better to really be skeptical about something prior to buying it vs just thinking it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

The micro is small, smaller than the voodoo but not quite as small as a skeet. Yes it can be used as a stand alone scope but I wouldn’t use it as that very much at all. It would suffer from being 1x at pretty much any distance past 100. But being used as a clip on however it sounds to me like it’s perfect for you. I would have zero issues shooting a coyote at 400 yards with this thing in front of my 1-10. It wouldn’t be a hard thing to do to be honest. In a competitive coyote hunt a month and a half ago I was spotting dogs 12-1300 yards out in fields coming to the call, so detection range is way out there farther than your going to shoot. With all that being said along with the ease ability of attaching/detaching the unit to your rifle, you could easily use it for a scanner then pop it on and blast dogs at 200. Have you seen my videos?

Jay

I think your expectations of this little thing are a bit low, as it should be, it’s better to really be skeptical about something prior to buying it vs just thinking it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

The micro is small, smaller than the voodoo but not quite as small as a skeet. Yes it can be used as a stand alone scope but I wouldn’t use it as that very much at all. It would suffer from being 1x at pretty much any distance past 100. But being used as a clip on however it sounds to me like it’s perfect for you. I would have zero issues shooting a coyote at 400 yards with this thing in front of my 1-10. It wouldn’t be a hard thing to do to be honest. In a competitive coyote hunt a month and a half ago I was spotting dogs 12-1300 yards out in fields coming to the call, so detection range is way out there farther than your going to shoot. With all that being said along with the ease ability of attaching/detaching the unit to your rifle, you could easily use it for a scanner then pop it on and blast dogs at 200. Have you seen my videos?

Jay
Yep actually watching a video of yours right now. It is very impressive and I’m sure in person it looks even better too. I was kinda thinking that might work though, scanning with it then popping it on the rifle when the time comes to make a shot. Really it should work with me hunting in open country…

If you can’t justify a Voodoo, but can swing $6K (and can stomach supporting our most dangerous enemy) just get a Choodoo.

It’s only been an hour or two, but this thing is spectacular. They hit a home run. 80% of a Voodoo-S for 40% of the price.

If it was SHTF or I was going into a life-and-death situation and I could only take one, I’d definitely take the legit Voodoo-S over the Choodoo. But assuming this isn’t going to be a primary purchasing criteria (and that most simply won’t drop >$15K on a single thermal), then the Choodoo — at least at first blush — appears to be the new price/performance King.

Last edited:
What features are needed in the ideal day scope being put behind one of these? 1-6? Illuminated reticle? Does tube size really matter? Doesn’t seem like it would much.

What features are needed in the ideal day scope being put behind one of these? 1-6? Illuminated reticle? Does tube size really matter? Doesn’t seem like it would much.
A 1-6, 1-8 or 1-10 is ideal with it. Illuminated reticle isn’t necessary but it’s nice to have. Tube size doesn’t matter at all.

Even a 4x Acog or Elcan works great with it.

Jay

1-4x is great. 6x is serviceable.

Going to try it tomorrow with 1/4x and 1.5/6x Elcans.

To export video, you can either:
• Run the included Y-cable from the optic to your USB port on a computer and download just like an external USB drive,
-or-
• Use the optic's WiFi, connect the app on your phone/iPad to the optic, and download video or stills from there to your phone's camera roll, and immediately onwards to instagram. :)

I was playing around with the app a bit this week, and honestly live-view streaming is one of the real fun things you can do with the iRay Micro – tonight, I was parked up on a ridge looking for this swarm of coyotes I'd heard. It got cold after midnight, so I set the Micro on a tripod just outside my car door, and WiFi'd it to view in realtime on my iPhone 12 Pro Max... sat in the warm car, snuck a hand out the window to pan the tripod around to scan occasionally. If something interesting happened, I hit "record" on the phone.

Then, for funsies, I stuck the Micro out the sunroof and drove home with the live view streaming to my dashboard video screen.

Here's a little footage just walking around with it: iRay RICO Micro Short Video

A little different question. One of the uses I'd have for this unit is with my AR. I'm currently using a T2 in a Unity Tac mount along with a 3x mag in the Unity Tac mount. If I was to attach the Rico Micro on a Unity Tac riser (the one you use with an EOTech) would that align the Micro with my T2/3x set up?

Trying to find as many uses as possible. Makes the expense easier in my mind.

Thanks.

To export video, you can either:
• Run the included Y-cable from the optic to your USB port on a computer and download just like an external USB drive,
-or-
• Use the optic's WiFi, connect the app on your phone/iPad to the optic, and download video or stills from there to your phone's camera roll, and immediately onwards to instagram. :)

I was playing around with the app a bit this week, and honestly live-view streaming is one of the real fun things you can do with the iRay Micro – tonight, I was parked up on a ridge looking for this swarm of coyotes I'd heard. It got cold after midnight, so I set the Micro on a tripod just outside my car door, and WiFi'd it to view in realtime on my iPhone 12 Pro Max... sat in the warm car, snuck a hand out the window to pan the tripod around to scan occasionally. If something interesting happened, I hit "record" on the phone.

Then, for funsies, I stuck the Micro out the sunroof and drove home with the live view streaming to my dashboard video screen.

Here's a little footage just walking around with it: iRay RICO Micro Short Video

Thanks Sir, I hope you all are well up there.
I had totally looked past this thing having wifi. Probably because subconsciously I didn't want to end up buying another optic, and now here we sit. . .
Once I get it I should head up there so you can hold my hand through the training phase on it. I have my own ammo and everything.

A little different question. One of the uses I'd have for this unit is with my AR. I'm currently using a T2 in a Unity Tac mount along with a 3x mag in the Unity Tac mount. If I was to attach the Rico Micro on a Unity Tac riser (the one you use with an EOTech) would that align the Micro with my T2/3x set up?

Trying to find as many uses as possible. Makes the expense easier in my mind.

Thanks.
Yes that should work. The Iray appears to be 1.5" center and with riser it would be 2.26"

Reactions: Fongman
So… I am saddened to report what I personally consider to be a significant Achilles Heel with the Choodoo — a very severe Jell-O / image latency effect — which renders the Choodoo far less useful when helmet-mounted.

I am going to compare it to my MH25s, but I don’t recall seeing it in the MHs. I am disappointed and surprised to see it, especially this severe, in the new model. I can’t drive with it, and walking with them as binos is frustrating.

This will be far less of an issue for weapon mounting, but I planned to replace one set of Skeets with my two RH25s, and now that won’t be happening.

If there is some magical, mystical menu setting or incantation I can use to minimize or eliminate it, please let me know. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if this is something that can be corrected with new software.

8634109A-F9B8-4F47-8A56-D1286FC3F1DD.jpeg

Horta that sucks with the issue.

The Choodoo is becoming the Bluesdoo from the sounds of it, if that is an across the board issue with the unit.

Being a 50 hz unit you would not think it would have image latency issues.

Horta that sucks with the issue.

The Choodoo is becoming the Bluesdoo from the sounds of it, if that is an across the board issue with the unit.

Being a 50 hz unit you would not think it would have image latency issues.
Yeah, for those of us who want to use it heavily as a head-mounted unit(s) it’s very disappointing. Both of mine behave identically, in both clipon and handheld/helmet mode.

I’m hoping it is something that can be addressed with a software update. It greatly limits the usefulness for me personally, but most may not care if they’re doing stationary spotting and/or clipon/weapon use primarily.

I should add… I doubt it’s the 50Hz sensor, as even my 30Hz stuff doesn’t do this. It is something in the post processing by the time it gets to the display. Maybe it has to do with the up-rezing to the 1024 display, or perhaps some other reason, but it’s definitely VERY latent. I’ll try it tomorrow and see what the direct WiFi feed into the iRay iPhone app looks like, but I’m willing to bet it’s not in the direct video image.

Last edited:
Yep, I would think it ultimately will be able to be fixed. Hopefully just birthing pains on a new model and I am sure UNV will be going to bat to get it sorted out as it is a promising "do all" little unit.