• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is a Tangent Theta really that much better than a S&B?

What does the TT315M bring to the table? Not much elevation, no tool-less zero, lowish weight - high price tag versus the features...I'm trying to understand how well it competes against the other 3-15x and 4-16x optics on the market. Why would I get it over an ATACR F1 4-16x or a Minox ZP5 3-15x?

What does the TT315M bring to the table? Not much elevation, no tool-less zero, lowish weight - high price tag versus the features...I'm trying to understand how well it competes against the other 3-15x and 4-16x optics on the market. Why would I get it over an ATACR F1 4-16x or a Minox ZP5 3-15x?

Turret feel is spectacular, as is the image quality. 12 mrad of adjustment after zeroing is enough for my purposes.
The whole package is fairly low profile.

I compared these three (among others) a little while back.

http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=1673

ILya

I'll second everything Ilya noted. I also had the 315M and it was a very nice optic for what it is. You certainly won't be disappointed with the 4-16 f1 or the Minox as they are quality scopes in their own right, but you won't get the performance in the glass department that the TT gives you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turret feel is spectacular, as is the image quality. 12 mrad of adjustment after zeroing is enough for my purposes.
The whole package is fairly low profile.

I compared these three (among others) a little while back.

http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=1673

ILya

Informative, spasibo. Looking for something a bit more modern for my small-frame gas gun; as much as I'd love another Gen 2 Razor, they're just far too heavy for that type of platform.

So to everyone who's owned the Tangent Theta 525P, how's the tracking performance? For those of you that have needed the warranty on them, what was the problems with the optic?

Tracking has been perfect out to 1580 yards for me.

I did have a problem with my scope. Out of the box, there was a stiff spot in the diopter adjustment ring. I sent it in to be looked at. Came back fixed. But while re-zeroing my rifle, an o-ring or something popped loose inside the ocular and obscured the sight picture. I'm guessing something wasn't done properly when the tech fixed the adjustment ring. With Orkan's assistance, TT overnighted(!) me a brand new scope. No questions asked. So far, no problems with that one.

The owner of TT personally called me a few months ago to follow up. He said they've since changed the type of adhesive they use.

I shot with my TT525P for the first time this weekend. The scope is an upgrade from my Premier that I sent in for service, the deal to upgrade was much better than I have seen reported.

My goal was to have the Premier tuned up to sell so I could buy a NF 7-35 in the Mil-C or SB 5-45 with the LRR when available. Ended up with the TT525P so was stuck deciding to sell it and wait or shoot with it and sell later if one of the other two look like a good upgrade at SHOT.

The TT525P is everything it's been rumored to be. Yes I would rather have an SKMR3 in place of the GenIIXR but I think I can eyeball the 1/2mil subtentions in place of the .2mil that the Mil-C and LRR offer.

Mechanically this scope is as good as it gets. Optically it is a step up from the Premier. As far as low light performance goes, I've used it in twilight on a rabbit in my yard at 5x and min parallax. To the naked eye the rabbit was a gray blotch but through the TT you could count the hairs on its head the detail was so good.

The 315M is superior to any other offering in it's class. The atacr 4-16 is definitely not a competitor.

I have an an M on my primary coyote hunting rig for the last couple years. It's right at home.

Orkan, would you mind elaborating on your previous comment (4-16 ATACR vs. 315M)?

genuinely curious.. I have the 4-16 and think it is excellent.

I'm glad you enjoy it. You certainly don't need me telling you why the TT is better. When a person has a scope, and they are happy with it, they don't need to go looking for reasons why it's no good. However if you find yourself in the market for a new scope sometime, give me a call. I'd be happy to explain the differences.

Orkan, would you mind elaborating on your previous comment (4-16 ATACR vs. 315M)?

genuinely curious.. I have the 4-16 and think it is excellent.

The 4-16 is a great optic for itself, but here are some differences after owning both the 4-16 and 3-15M

1) glass is better in the TT.
2) turret feel is better in the TT. Yes it might have a little to do with spacing, but they also just feel more robust and positive. Hard to explain if you've never played with one.
3) FOV is stupid good on the TT, you might think the 4-16 is fine, which it is, until you look down a 315M.
4) 50mm obj vs 42mm, other than that very similar in size and weight.
5) less elevation, it's fact the M only has 12 mils after using a 20moa base so if you really need for than 12 mils yes the 4-16 would fit a little better, however I'd argue if you need more than 12 mils on a modern cartridge like a 6.5 you'd probably want a 5-25 type scope anyway.

So if you can live with the Gen2xr or gen 2 mil dot give the 315M a serious look for all the reasons listed above.

The NF 4-16 F1 is a great optic in my opinion, reticle is good from the bottom to the top of the magnification for me. Also for a hunting rifle you have capped windage and your elevation turret locks on you "0". Glass is pretty good and the 42mm objective let's you mount it a little bit lower to the bore... I really like mine, its a good crossover hunting/steel banger optic for me.

Well at the end of day TT doesn't have a reticle I like which is paramount to me so I won't need to call anyone.

Well, I just done the opposite, ordered a 525P TT from Mike and Richard at CST... Still waiting for them to arrive so they can ship to me.. I also value a good reticle, even though the TT doesn't really have the reticle i desire they do however have the turrets I'm after. To me turrets and glass weigh in heavily on my decisions and at the end of the day the TT has both. I can't wait to get my hands on it, I'll post my initial thoughts when she gets here.. I thought hard about the ATACR 7-35 but in the end I just thought the Tremor3 would be a little too busy for me since I'm not competing in PRS comps..

Big thanks to Mike and Richard as well, great people to do business with.. I've purchased from them in the past so I already knew what to expect from them. Thanks guys!

Big thanks to Mike and Richard as well, great people to do business with.. I've purchased from them in the past so I already knew what to expect from them. Thanks guys!

The CS Tactical guys seem like straight shooters. They don't get mouthy on forums like some vendors do.

Yah Mike is a class act for sure. My customer service experience with them has been great.

I don't have any SB experience to share but I took my new TT 5X25 to the range today for the first time and compared it to my US Optics 3.2X17 TPAL at 1000 yards. The US Optic scope is not even in the same league as the TT as far as clarity @1000 yards. My TPAL is just back from them for a parallax knob issue and a cleaning. It seems "cloudy" compared to the TT with both set at 17 power.

Well, just received my TT 525P today... It looks to be a very well made optic, and it does have the best turret feel that I've felt to date, absolutely love the turrets. Turrets are very tactile and audible with just the right amount of spacing for a 15 mil turret. Parallax knob is a little on the tight side but perfectly manageable, the zoom seems to have a couple of tighter spots in it, what I mean by this is it's not 100% the same throughout the magnification adjustment range.. I don't know if it's cause it's new and needs some playing with or that's just the way it is, it's not a lot but is noticeable especially when going down in magnification. And no, before you ask, the tight spots are nothing in comparison to the Minox elevation turret. Lol. The reticle looks to be what i thought it would be, very usable, not thick at all on max mag, what else is there to say, its the gen2 XR. Eye box looks really good, definitely better than the PM II i experienced, keep in mind this optic hasn't been in a set of rings yet.. I haven't had the time to check out the glass as of yet, that's next on my list of to do's.. Oh yeah, the supplied ARD is a nice touch as well... The illumination knob feels good, the detents are nice and defined, not mushy or too soft feeling and the actual illumination looks good from what I've seen so far. The packaging was good too, nice foam blocking In the box which secures the optic very well around the turret housing and at each end of the optic. This is just a 15 minute initial impression of the optic, can't wait to actually get behind it when I have a chance...

Can't wait for you to send it back and see what you try out next.

Thanks fucktard! I Never said shit about replacing the TT, it's a keeper, appreciate your useless contribution to the thread as well...

giphy.gif
Can't wait for you to send it back and see what you try out next.

Thanks fucktard! I Never said shit about replacing the TT, it's a keeper, appreciate your useless contribution to the thread as well...

Hahahaaaaaaaa!! Good times Good times! You're welcome! And thank you for your contributions over the last few months. It's been very entertaining. I mean that in the most sincere way.
I gave you a light hearted jab, all in good fun, no need to attack me like a liberal from Charlottesville. I'm looking forward to you getting your TT mounted up and giving us your full review....and then sending it back. Haahaahaaaaaa!!

Hahahaaaaaaaa!! Good times Good times! You're welcome! And thank you for your contributions over the last few months. It's been very entertaining. I mean that in the most sincere way.
I gave you a light hearted jab, all in good fun, no need to attack me like a liberal from Charlottesville. I'm looking forward to you getting your TT mounted up and giving us your full review....and then sending it back. Haahaahaaaaaa!!

Alright, alright.... No lib here man, thats worse than being called a fucktard. I shouldn't have responded that way, it just rubbed me the wrong way. In all seriousness, I like the TT and won't be sending it back, I've found what I was looking for. No hard feelings....

Well, just received my TT 525P today... It looks to be a very well made optic, and it does have the best turret feel that I've felt to date, absolutely love the turrets. Turrets are very tactile and audible with just the right amount of spacing for a 15 mil turret. Parallax knob is a little on the tight side but perfectly manageable, the zoom seems to have a couple of tighter spots in it, what I mean by this is it's not 100% the same throughout the magnification adjustment range.. I don't know if it's cause it's new and needs some playing with or that's just the way it is, it's not a lot but is noticeable especially when going down in magnification. And no, before you ask, the tight spots are nothing in comparison to the Minox elevation turret. Lol. The reticle looks to be what i thought it would be, very usable, not thick at all on max mag, what else is there to say, its the gen2 XR. Eye box looks really good, definitely better than the PM II i experienced, keep in mind this optic hasn't been in a set of rings yet.. I haven't had the time to check out the glass as of yet, that's next on my list of to do's.. Oh yeah, the supplied ARD is a nice touch as well... The illumination knob feels good, the detents are nice and defined, not mushy or too soft feeling and the actual illumination looks good from what I've seen so far. The packaging was good too, nice foam blocking In the box which secures the optic very well around the turret housing and at each end of the optic. This is just a 15 minute initial impression of the optic, can't wait to actually get behind it when I have a chance...

Glad you like it! :cool:

I have a S&B 5-25 DT with Gen 2XR reticle. Looking at another one for the Tac Ops I'm having built and have been contemplating a TT. Can anyone give some insite who has handled them both to see if it's really that much better to justify the expense.

I have limited experience with both, most people are gonna say it's not worth the extra expense cause there is only minute improvements with the TT.. I don't know how you are but I like things as perfect as I can get, I'm picky in other words.. while the S&B has nice glass, for me, that's where my fondness of it ended. The tunneling below 7x is pretty bad, and I know, who's gonna go below 7 anyway right, for me it doesn't matter cause it bothered me and just cheapens the optic in my opinion. I couldn't seem to get a great sight picture behind the PM II neither, it wanted to black out way too easily and even when I had a decent picture it was like it was darker all around the edges. Now for the turrets, while S&B has nice defined clicks on there turrets, they are just way too damn close together for my liking. I like to feel every click without trying to go super slow, and concentrate without just skipping over a bunch, the S&B tends to do that very easily and I didn't care for that. To me, in my opinion, the TT smashes S&B in all three of these areas, therefore it was worth it to me. These are just opinions of mine and I'm sure some others won't agree and that's fine.. As a matter of fact, I would rather own another Minox MR4 than the S&B 5-25 PM II...

I have a dozen ATACR'S on my guns and they are fine scopes. Just purchased 2 TT'S and shot both guns today. My initial observations in my humble opinion - The glass on the TT'S is approx. 20% better as I was able to read printing on the targets that I could not read with the ATAC'S at the same magnification level. The parralex adjustment is better on the TT and the eye box is better. The tools zero stop is a great feature. I was able to shoot Dime size 5 shot groups at 100 yards, so I would say the scopes did their jobs. My only complaint is that the magnification adjustment is a little stiff. Are TT'S with the extra coin? Yes, I would say they are. Just my opinion.

I have a dozen ATACR'S on my guns and they are fine scopes. Just purchased 2 TT'S and shot both guns today. My initial observations in my humble opinion - The glass on the TT'S is approx. 20% better as I was able to read printing on the targets that I could not read with the ATAC'S at the same magnification level. The parralex adjustment is better on the TT and the eye box is better. The tools zero stop is a great feature. I was able to shoot Dime size 5 shot groups at 100 yards, so I would say the scopes did their jobs. My only complaint is that the magnification adjustment is a little stiff. Are TT'S with the extra coin? Yes, I would say they are. Just my opinion.

What are the specs on your ATACRs?

The quality of these scopes is more than good enogh (even overkill) for what they are used for, banging steel and paper. Take optical quality; if you install David Tubbs ranging reticle in all of them I bet no one would score any different whatever scope being used. Actually, field of view is the differentiator here and by saying that none of these scopes can compete with S&B 12-50X56.

What differs these scopes are physical dimensions, featuresets and reticles for the intended use, not quality.

PS: english is not my native language.