• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is an 18" varmint barrel too heavy on an AR?

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
I'm thinking of getting an AR with an 18" varmint barrel. The AR I used to have had a 16" hbar. I tend to like a little heavier profile. I just wanted to ask folks who own something similar is it too heavy to shoot off-hand for plinking?

I'm not going to be kicking down any doors or anything. Mostly punching paper, but if the zombies or democrats ever try to take our way of life I do need a weapon that I can protect my family with while we BUG OUT!

Thank you gentelmen (and ladies if there are any on here) !

Have a good day!

Re: Is an 18" varmint barrel too heavy on an AR?

It'll be fine....buy the rifle for what you want to use it for 99.9% of the time. If zombies are chasing you then I doubt you'll be worried about the length of the barrel.

18" is a great AR length, not to long to be cumbersome and a little more stout then a 16" one. A LOT of 3 gunners run 18" barrels and they are always on the move and shooting off hand.

i have a 20" precision AR that I use to take out coyotes, ground hogs, and other varmints around here. I dont even think its to heavy....

It all about your handgaurds to. and the barrel profile under those handgaurds.

I own two AR15s one with a medium heavy 18" barrel, and one with a medium heavy 20" inch barrel. I would recommend either length for off hand, or bench shooting.

I don't like the heavy varmint barrels on AR's (had one). Unlike bolt guns, ARs don't have enough weight in the stock to balance out a heavy barrel, and aren't as easy to shoot off hand.

My two cents

I dunno bout 18", but 24" of varmint barrel is heavy as hell - especially with a pound of lead in the stock.
medium.jpg

Its gonna be a little bit front heavy but over all you gotta get whats best for you and your situation.

i would recomend not getting an varmint contour

18in is a great lenght, but i would suggest a medium contour or something lighter

most varmint contours are 1under under handguard and then .93 in front that is a heavy barrel

Well guys, it's no longer available. I was going to get it b/c it was available, and I do like a heavier barrel.

I think you all have very good points. I prefer the HBAR barrel over anything. I don't like M4 profiles, or skinny barrels.

So, on this build I guess I'll just keep searching until I find a 16" hbar, 18" spr, or a 20" hbar. I would prefer one not threaded for flash hider.