• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is CCI green tag worth the extra money?

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
Wondering if CCI green tag is worth the extra money or not.
Shooting CCI SV right now. Shoots great, just wondering if it would be worth having a couple boxes of green tag to shoot slightly tighter groups during a match? MV is the same. If Green tag would cut a 100 yard 2 inch group down to 1.5 and maybe get rid of the occasional flier that might help pick up a point or 2.
Or is there something else better for the same price?
I like that SV and green tag have the same velocity, so dope would not change, hopefully just get slightly smaller groups and get rid of the oddball round.

Shooting CCI SV right now. Shoots great, just wondering if it would be worth having a couple boxes of green tag to shoot slightly tighter groups during a match? MV is the same. If Green tag would cut a 100 yard 2 inch group down to 1.5 and maybe get rid of the occasional flier that might help pick up a point or 2.
I like that SV and green tag have the same velocity, so dope would not change, hopefully just get slightly smaller groups and get rid of the oddball round.
Not in my testing. Shot the same as CCISV, but costs more.

Reactions: JKW70 and sparkyv
Thank you guys. Probably saved me $100.

So is there another ammo that shoots the same dope as SV but maybe a tighter group?
I know every gun is different, but I also hear that most guns like SV

I couldn't tell the difference between the two in 3 different rifles.
Two rifles really like SK Red and Yellow, and another does great with Norma Tac.

My RimX loves CCI SV but Greentag isn’t any more accurate, just more expensive.
Eley EPS, Eley Match, Lapua and RWS50 are worth the premium but not greentag.

CDADE335-7973-421D-A653-1102E41C1FE7.jpeg
Anyone shooting S&B standard velocity 40 grain? I bought two boxes to try in my BMR, but haven’t been to the range yet.

Thank you guys. Probably saved me $100.

So is there another ammo that shoots the same dope as SV but maybe a tighter group?
I know every gun is different, but I also hear that most guns like SV
In my factory T1X barrel SK Rifle Match equaled CCISV. In the Calfee IV chambered IBI barrel, SK S+ kicks CCISV in the ass. I find SK S+ and Rifle Match a bit slower than CCISV. SK Long Range Match is about 40 FPS faster though.

I bought one 100ct box of green tag, it was the worst 22 ammo I have ever shot and I have shot some cheap crap. So much so, I don't think a 50 yard zero was possible.

• Wow
Reactions: sparkyv
im a big fan of sk std for my nrl rifle(stock cz 457 pv). no its not cx or mp outta my vudoo, but no crazy fliers and nice consistency lot to lot - good enough for 100yd nrl

Reactions: Emerson0311
From what my LGS told me (speculation but I trust the owner) is that Green Tag is hand packed. That's it...
View attachment 7836315Anyone shooting S&B standard velocity 40 grain? I bought two boxes to try in my BMR, but haven’t been to the range yet.

I have a brick of the S&B Club. It is definitely minute of squirrel but I haven't tested it at the range.

IMO, no.

My SV's were shooting nicely and so thinking the higher the price the more quality control involved, therefore better results. I was sorely disappointed as my Green Tag ammo did worse than my SV's. For what they were charging, I expected much, much better. I'll not even consider them anymore as there are a lot of other cartridges that perform very well at that price point.

Reactions: Milo 2.5