Is Color.... tacky?

Biglizard

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2022
California
Thoughts and opinions on painting or doing a cerakote on your rifles.

I was originally going to go a two tone black/FDE look but now I am thinking I want to do something a bit different. I don't want to go with super bright shiny neon colors, of course, but I have seen some VERY tasteful cerakote rifles online and wanted opinions to the matter. My idea now is a titanium blue for my lower/upper/handguard with black everywhere else.

What is the general consensus from the AR-15 group these days on coloring your rifles?

Sogan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2013
It's your gear, do what you want. Just don't expect it to add any "resale value".
Depending on how wild the design is it can also hurt resale depending on the person or drastically limit your buying audience

Biglizard

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2022
California
Depending on how wild the design is it can also hurt resale depending on the person or drastically limit your buying audience
This is fair, though I am not one to re-sell my firearms. I don't think I have sold a single one that I have purchased ever in my life hahah They all have some sort of story to tell.

Reactions: Milf Dots

Biglizard

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2022
California
Tasteful designs and colors are a good thing as long as it isn't queer.
I was thinking of doing something like this
cbc-industries-limited-edition-blue-titanium-rifle.jpg

mcameron

Two Star General
Minuteman
  • Nov 17, 2011
    from what ive found, paint may reduce the audience....but ive never seen it reduce the value....

ive sold plenty of rifles caked up with Krylon....always gotten fair market value for them...at least for working guns, rare or collectable guns are a different story.

ut755ln

Rub some dirt on it
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Mar 24, 2011
    Houston Texas
    Thoughts and opinions on painting or doing a cerakote on your rifles.

I was originally going to go a two tone black/FDE look but now I am thinking I want to do something a bit different. I don't want to go with super bright shiny neon colors, of course, but I have seen some VERY tasteful cerakote rifles online and wanted opinions to the matter. My idea now is a titanium blue for my lower/upper/handguard with black everywhere else.

What is the general consensus from the AR-15 group these days on coloring your rifles?
    Paint it however you like, it's your rifle.

Reactions: Docsherm

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2020
    St Johns, AZ
    Depending on the color it can help break up the outline making it not stand out as much when trying to be stealthy.

As far as just coloring it outlandishly for shits and grins...meh.

Reactions: camocorvette

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2020
    St Johns, AZ
    My personal thoughts are that your colors are good and will not detract from the rifle. I say go for it.

I was worried you were going to say something waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse.

This is an example of way worse:
    View attachment 7911019
    That appears to be a rubber gun used for training. Note the trigger is connected to the trigger guard. Hence the garish, "this is NOT a real gun" colors.

Or since there is no scale for size, it could be an eraser or toy.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Apr 8, 2019
    SE Alabama
    It's your rifle(s), do something that makes you happy. Who cares if others don't like it.

Here are a few of mine I like.

First one poorly edited on a phone.
    x8T7tSf.jpg

XLlAGvO.jpg

cTGEngj.jpg

kPPcBeq.jpg

cnlvxfn.jpg

kwldFxy.jpg

Man those top AR's are nice...what grip is that? Love the angle.

Reactions: Clayman

ZF-1

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 8, 2011
    Down south, USA
    In case folks are wondering, the "banana" rifle is from the movie Chappie.

chappie2.jpg

Just using it as a bad example of rifle painting that's all.

Elite_KG

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Oct 15, 2011
    LA
    Im gonna get a stencil cutter ans create my own pattern. Many I like. Some are shown above. The first and third pic is a custom pattern I created from 2 different stencil sets. I really like LRI’s DMP, but I lay it differently than they do so its not so linear.

Comments welcomed.

Short-bus

customguncoatings.com
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
    Apr 13, 2008
    Smithville, MO
    www.customguncoatings.com
    20220713_134454.jpg
    20220713_134953.jpg

Perazzi mx8 shotty that just went out. I've done 3 or 4 mx8's like this for the same customer. Going to be doing another in a very, very dirty theme.

I'm certain that one day I'm going to visit Italy, and I'll be arrested upon arrival for painting their perazzi's like this.

ut755ln

Rub some dirt on it
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Mar 24, 2011
    Houston Texas
    View attachment 7912600View attachment 7912601
    Perazzi mx8 shotty that just went out. I've done 3 or 4 mx8's like this for the same customer. Going to be doing another in a very, very dirty theme.

I'm certain that one day I'm going to visit Italy, and I'll be arrested upon arrival for painting their perazzi's like this.
    I am honestly offended that they are doing that.

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    Painting your rifle means you’re a racist because you hate black.

Lots of racists here. Lots.

• Haha
    Reactions: 346ci