• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it me? Or my rifle?

Scrotty Dog

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2023
Indiana
I had a custom build by a local shop when I lived in Alaska. It’s a 300 PRC with an American Rifle Company Mausingfield action, Mesa stock and Proof Research 22” sendero barrel. I moved out of state shortly after getting the rifle and am just getting to break it in.

I’m struggling to get accuracy better than 1 MOA, despite using a couple different powders (IMR 7828ssc and H-1000) at different charges, trying a broad range of seating depth. I broke down and ordered some Hornady Precision ammo today out of curiosity.

Should I start to question the gunsmithing at this point, or should I continue exploring more loads? Is it reasonable to expect better from a custom hunting rifle?

I would consider myself to be a fairly proficient shooter, and compete regularly at the national level for the Army, just for reference.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Retorque everything first to spec.

Who built it?

Suspect scope before rifle if rifle build is done well.

Proof normally makes good barrels.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
Bullet, twist rate, powder charge? Handloading practices and to what consistency?

I had a custom build by a local shop when I lived in Alaska. It’s a 300 PRC with an American Rifle Company Mausingfield action, Mesa stock and Proof Research 22” sendero barrel. I moved out of state shortly after getting the rifle and am just getting to break it in.

I’m struggling to get accuracy better than 1 MOA, despite using a couple different powders (IMR 7828ssc and H-1000) at different charges, trying a broad range of seating depth. I broke down and ordered some Hornady Precision ammo today out of curiosity.

Should I start to question the gunsmithing at this point, or should I continue exploring more loads? Is it reasonable to expect better from a custom hunting rifle?

I would consider myself to be a fairly proficient shooter, and compete regularly at the national level for the Army, just for reference.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
What bullets have you tried?
Was the chamber cut for a specific bullet type?
I have a 1-10” twist 6mm BR that doesn’t like Sierra but loves 75gr Hornady V-Max.
Just leaving the range with some success.

What bullets and what did you do for seating depth?

What powder charge?

What velocity?

With my 300 PRC I recently had to switch from Berger 230 hybrids to 230 OTM hybrids so needed to redo seating depth. Below is the difference between .015" off (right side, lower) and two groups of three at .018" (upper center and left).

.003" is the difference between a crappy shooting 1 moa rifle and bug holes.

1694995101964.png

Reactions: FisherT&C
Definitely need to try more then one bullet before you go after the gunsmith. I know you say that you are a national level shooter, but unsure what in. If your not experienced in heavy recoiling rifles I'd get a friend to help.

But I agree tear it down and retorque everything first.

Retorque everything first to spec.

Who built it?

Suspect scope before rifle if rifle build is done well.

Proof normally makes good barrels.
Thank you for the recommendations. I checked torque on the action, everything was to spec.

Thank you all for the input. I definitely will run it through some different bullet types and weights.

My competition experience is with gas guns/service rifles. I certainly didn’t mean to misrepresent myself as a seasoned competitor with bolt action, and I can see how it might come off that way.

I have much to learn about reloading and fine tuning, and I greatly appreciate the wisdom and suggestions.

I do have a follow on question…

For any given bullet, do you search for optimum seating depth first, or do you explore powders and charges first?

What loads you shooting? Grain weight bullets?

300WM case stretch can be up to 20 thou from virgin factory brass. I don't get too concerned until I can get the case shoulder bumped .002 from max stretch. Getting Peterson Long brass can help with this.

Once I have that case fire formed, I seat .003 from lands. Then go .010 jumps shorter to find best precision depth.

Ask 10 guys and you’ll get 12 answers.

I start with powder charge to minimize velocity spread. Then I use seating depth to (hopefully) dial in group size.
If one is lucky, they are limited to magazine length and just load to that and tweak everything else. LOL

Some bullet designs are jump sensitive. Some aren't sensitive at all. Some are in the middle. Powder charge first, mainly to find safe upper pressure limits especially if dealing with temperature sensitive powders.

In a larger caliber rifle of light weight (I think)
the accuracy is not that bad. If it’s a heavy target build you might expect better.

There are hundreds of things it could be. You say you are a national competitor for a rifle discipline, you should be able to narrow down most of the issues.

Gun assembly, gun parts, optic, rings, base, muzzle break/can, trigger, ammo type, your reloads ect ect ect ect ect ect.

What did the gun shoot when it came from the smith. Surely you have test targets from a custom gun you PAID someone else to build for you. What loads or factory ammo did they use? Your reloads may suck, order a few different boxes of QUALITY factory ammo from Berger/Federal/Hornady and see if you can get it to shoot.

That is just the hardware issues. Then there is you.

Start eliminating variables and work your way though. That is the only way you will be able identify what the actual issue(s) is/are, and then fix them.

Reactions: Scrotty Dog
You say you are a national competitor for a rifle discipline, you should be able to narrow down most of the issues.
Maybe. But, there ARE guys out there like Cole Trickle from "Days of Thunder."

"What's the difference? They said get in a car and drive. And I could drive."

My son was a hell of a competitive shotgunner. But, he couldn't name an internal part on his gun, nor tell you the brand or load of shells he shot.

Some people just aren't that "into" the tools.

Last edited:
Hlee,

Perfect analogy. I shoot a gas gun given to me by an armorer fairly well.

My point was that I can handle and shoot a rifle decently, so my suspicion is there’s a problem with the rifle or the ammo I’m making. I have the basics of marksmanship down, but trouble shooting precision rifles is not my forte, annnnddd…that’s why I ask dumb questions.

Process of elimination. By default I assumed the problem is the shooter (because I usually am)
Get a rest or have someone else shoot it. (Eliminate shooter)
Then buy match ammo: (Eliminate Ammo)
Then swap scope: (Eliminate Scope)

etc. etc. etc.

Those are usually the top 3 problems, but every time is different.

My factory AT-X shoots 2/3 MOA with factory Hornady (5 shot groups). It shot 2.5 MOA groups the one and only time I tried 130gr SMK and Reloader 16 in it. Put factory ammo back in it and the next group returned to "normal".

Sometimes, you'll find a lot of "meh" before you stumble on a bullet/powder combo. Sometimes you'll find Satan's butthole of atrocious accuracy too.

Last edited:
Doing load work up, I load up a series of charges and find pressure then I’ll back off a grain or so and start at mag length seating deeper until I find a good group, then I might tweak powder on each side of it, or just roll with it, depending on velocity and SD.

Reactions: FredHammer
Here is what a Lapua factory 250gr .338LM group looks like from my Savage 110BA.
That group is representative of what that ammo shoots in my gun next to my ladder of Hornady 285 ELD-M I loaded to magazine length.

Based on the performance of Lapua 250gr factory ammo my rifle is junk.
Based on my preliminary ladder test I have 4 groups under 0.5moa and 3 groups under 0.4moa.

This is in a gun with a horrible 4lb. trigger.
The guy shot 1 box of ammo through it and sold it to me for $1200 Canadian. I’m not complaining.

Last edited:
Have you had a rifle that has recoil before?
Like have you shot guns that have a push and twist?
I bet your rifle is fairly light, carbonfiber stock, it might need to be shoot with a different type thant 308win etc.
Also, do you have a muzzle brake or suppressor on it?
This is just my thoughts, dont get me wrong.
I have seen guys shooting rifles that gives recoil, they are scared to shoot those rifles.

Reactions: brianf and RTH1800
Process of elimination. By default I assumed the problem is the shooter (because I usually am)
Get a rest or have someone else shoot it. (Eliminate shooter)
Then buy match ammo: (Eliminate Ammo)
Then swap scope: (Eliminate Scope)

etc. etc. etc.

Those are usually the top 3 problems, but every time is different.
^^^^ This is good advice to start with, and you can then use those results to begin the reloading process.

Thanks to all of you for offering advice and wisdom on the issue. Here’s what I got…

I have been loading ammo for this gun with factory new Lapua brass. I finally made it through the lot for the first iteration and ran them through the resizer for the first time. I’m still learning the ins and outs of rolling my own, but learned that with RCBS Match Master dies, a neck bushing is a must for this combo. With the standard resizer ball that was on the die, the necks had barely enough tension to hold the bullet in place. I was able to spin them freely with my fingers. Just got bushings in the mail today and trust that I’ll work up a good load again down the road.

Given the time crunch I’m in, I picked up a box of Hornady Precision Hunter 212gn ELD-x and it shoots under 0.5 MOA. I was impressed with it and relieved, to say the least.

It wasn’t the gun, it was me!

Thanks again.

Reactions: Baron23 and Modoc
Have you had a rifle that has recoil before?
Like have you shot guns that have a push and twist?
I bet your rifle is fairly light, carbonfiber stock, it might need to be shoot with a different type thant 308win etc.
Also, do you have a muzzle brake or suppressor on it?
This is just my thoughts, dont get me wrong.
I have seen guys shooting rifles that gives recoil, they are scared to shoot those rifles.
This 1000%

Magnum + light rifle

If your fundamentals aren’t really really good .75+ is the norm no matter how good the ammo is.

Few and far between that can shoot a magnum lighter weight rifle .5 x 3-4 5 shot groups.

Guys will show pics etc..those aren’t the norm.

Magnum are a different animal, even compared to a 308 if your not on your game.

Reactions: viking78
I’m sure I’m not the best at handling this thing, but it’s shooting well. I had a five shot group with a flyer turn out to be .88, could’ve been .40 without the first shot, and a second group of four at .66. I’ma call it a 1/2 MOA gun, roast me if I deserve it😂

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-20 19:57:52.085613.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-20 19:57:52.085613.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-20 19:57:30.586496.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-20 19:57:30.586496.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-20 19:55:40.984365.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-20 19:55:40.984365.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5025.jpeg
    IMG_5025.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Modoc and Baron23
I’m sure I’m not the best at handling this thing, but it’s shooting well. I had a five shot group with a flyer turn out to be .88, could’ve been .40 without the first shot, and a second group of four at .66. I’ma call it a 1/2 MOA gun, roast me if I deserve it😂
Yeah that's definitely a huge POS. You need to dispose of it before it costs you more resources. I am willing to help dispose of it safely, just send it to me.

JK. Looks like its shooting fine for being a light rifle in a heavy recoiling caliber. Most of us usually do 3 shot groups on a magnum and more so with a lightweight barrel.