• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is it possible to convert this to 338 (insert any magnum)?

ARKEMAXUS

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
colorado
Hi guys, need some advice please; the barrel on this 300WM will be burned out in about a year at the rate I shoot it and I'd like to move up to 338 (any magnum) to be able to reach out a little further than the 300 is capable of. Is it possible to convert this to 338 lapua or some other 338 magnum? Obviously I don't know the first thing about how this works which is why I'm asking here. It's a Lawton 7000 action and I know Lawton is out of business. What all would be involved and what kind of costs am I looking at? Like to salvage as much of this setup as possible when it's time to rebarrel. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    439.8 KB · Views: 67
Don't think it is impossible, they did offer a .338 Lapua and many of the parts such as the bolt are Rem 700 compatible. The shot of the bottom metal and magazine well may be your sticking point though.

Reactions: ARKEMAXUS
There are a few .338's that will work on a standard magnum bolt face.

My opinion: Rebarrel to a 1:8.5 twist .30 cal (wm or PRC) and shoot 250 A-tips. Run the numbers, IMO the next jump up past 30 cal that's worth it is .375. Opinions differ, though.

300RUM probably easiest with what you have and the extra velocity vs any 338 that will likely work in that action won't be made up against 250gr Atip by any conventional 338 projectile. TBH I'm kind of regretting buying a 338lap when I could have bought the same gun in 300wm and rechambered to RUM for the cost of the lap.

Thanks for the replies. Considering all these suggestions.

Yeah, I wanted to go 375CT initially and just keep the 300's (also have a Desert Tech A2 300WM) but I'm not in love with any of the 375CT's available at the moment nor do I want to spend $6000+ on a new ELR rifle and having just got rid of my 50BMG it's nice to not have such a heavy rifle and so many different reloading components around for so many different calibers (some of you will laugh, I like to have 2 rifles in each caliber but keep things minimalist at the same time).

The only reason I am asking about 338 (anything) over 300 (anything) is splash/energy out past 2000. My 300s get 215 bergers going 2950fps and shooting at 2200 yards the other day here up in Colorado it's starting to get hard to spot misses/splash at that range. Probably already in another thread but what do we hear of 300PRC with 250 Atips? Probably close to rivaling any 338 load I'm guessing? Just thinking out loud here so thanks for humoring me.

Thanks for the replies. Considering all these suggestions.

Yeah, I wanted to go 375CT initially and just keep the 300's (also have a Desert Tech A2 300WM) but I'm not in love with any of the 375CT's available at the moment nor do I want to spend $6000+ on a new ELR rifle and having just got rid of my 50BMG it's nice to not have such a heavy rifle and so many different reloading components around for so many different calibers (some of you will laugh, I like to have 2 rifles in each caliber but keep things minimalist at the same time).

The only reason I am asking about 338 (anything) over 300 (anything) is splash/energy out past 2000. My 300s get 215 bergers going 2950fps and shooting at 2200 yards the other day here up in Colorado it's starting to get hard to spot misses/splash at that range. Probably already in another thread but what do we hear of 300PRC with 250 Atips? Probably close to rivaling any 338 load I'm guessing? Just thinking out loud here so thanks for humoring me.
I shoot primarily in steep valleys of the NW and my Lil 7mm can be a challenge in the common wetter conditions.
Big rock faces certainly help.
I’m currently piecing together a 338 edge.
I’d like to go with a 375 but I’m a poor.
Regardless with a bit longer barrel and some nice solids performance should be good

Running the numbers it looks like 300PRC with 250Atips comes so close to 338LM with a similarly high bc proj. it makes more economic sense to just go that route when it's time to rebarrel.

On another note, thinking of 375cheytac; something simple and more wallet friendly like this old single shot 375CT might make me part with my money....

Attachments

• 4d9c1f895f2784db44fdd57d6d0f925b.jpg
    4d9c1f895f2784db44fdd57d6d0f925b.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 31